• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

How do you Feel About the PS5 Shortage?

I have an Xbox Series S. We aren’t very technologically advanced and the S has the perfect specs for our TV. And the games I play on it like Forza and Microsoft Flight Simulator are Xbox/PC exclusives. However I have a couple of friends who are on team PlayStation and I know how hard the struggle is to get one. Out of five or so of my friends who want one, only one person has managed to find one.

That's cool. I was blessed to have had someone I knew let me borrow their XBox 360 back in like 2015 or so so I got to experience XBox a little more after having had the original XBox. Before the 360 I was obsessed with Fable Lost Chapters lol. Damn that's insane. This shortage really is forreal lol

Luckily, I was able to acquire both PS5 and Xbox Series X (this one late last year). I feel like I'm getting my money's worth on XSX. PS5 has more exclusives, but for multiplatform titles, I'm almost always gonna choose to play them on my XSX, due to the version of the game being better (XSX has Dolby Vision, VRR and Auto HDR). Dragon Quest XI S, even though a Switch port, looks a lot better on XSX due to Auto HDR. As for my PS5, well, I love Demon's Souls Remake. I feel like my purchase was justified just by that title alone haha. One thing I don't like were those games made by Insomniac namely Spider-Man Remastered and Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart. Ugh, for a Sony exclusive, I'd say they're littered with tons of bugs/glitches. They're most likely the reason why PS5 consoles are freezing. It happened to me twice and the other had this loud buzzing sound after. I hate it. I haven't even try Miles Morales. It was extremely disappointing. To think, people go crazy flaunting how amazing their games are, and also whenever they show trailers and those kind of stuff. They're mostly hype. I used to like them during those PS2, PS3-era Ratchet & Clank titles. Also, I enjoyed playing Spider-Man on PS4 Pro and never had issues. That's something lol. Enough of my Insomniac rant. By the way, have you seen Ghost of Tsushima: Director's Cut on HDR?! It looks so much different compared to when you play it on SDR. Obviously, the game looks beautiful, but it's on another level on HDR. I highly recommend getting an OLED TV, or at least a TV that has good HDR (500 nits and up). It's really a game changer, and even better if it supports HDMI 2.1 (120hz). I love playing Psychonauts 2 on 120fps with Dolby Vision. My only regret was, I wish I could have gotten my LG C1 sooner to really appreciate these games. Goodluck on your PS5 hunt!

Last edited:
Luckily, I was able to acquire both PS5 and Xbox Series X (this one late last year). I feel like I'm getting my money's worth on XSX. PS5 has more exclusives, but for multiplatform titles, I'm almost always gonna choose to play them on my XSX, due to the version of the game being better (XSX has Dolby Vision, VRR and Auto HDR). Dragon Quest XI S, even though a Switch port, looks a lot better on XSX due to Auto HDR. As for my PS5, well, I love Demon's Souls Remake. I feel like my purchase was justified just by that title alone haha. One thing I don't like were those games made by Insomniac namely Spider-Man Remastered and Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart. Ugh, for a Sony exclusive, I'd say they're littered with tons of bugs/glitches. They're most likely the reason why PS5 consoles are freezing. It happened to me twice and the other had this loud buzzing sound after. I hate it. I haven't even try Miles Morales. It was extremely disappointing. To think, people go crazy flaunting how amazing their games are, and also whenever they show trailers and those kind of stuff. They're mostly hype. I used to like them during those PS2, PS3-era Ratchet & Clank titles. Also, I enjoyed playing Spider-Man on PS4 Pro and never had issues. That's something lol. Enough of my Insomniac rant. By the way, have you seen Ghost of Tsushima: Director's Cut on HDR?! It looks so much different compared to when you play it on SDR. Obviously, the game looks beautiful, but it's on another level on HDR. I highly recommend getting an OLED TV, or at least a TV that has good HDR (500 nits and up). It's really a game changer, and even better if it supports HDMI 2.1 (120hz). I love playing Psychonauts 2 on 120fps with Dolby Vision. My only regret was, I wish I could have gotten my LG C1 sooner to really appreciate these games. Goodluck on your PS5 hunt!

Man that's sick. I hope the PS5 doesn't do that to me lmao, I'd be so beyond pissed. I'm definintely gonna look into the OLED HDR TV. I was gonna get a 4k TV along with the PS5 but I didn't know there was something beyond that o_O. I haven't seen Ghost of Tsushima but I'll check it out. Thanks, I'm determined lol

I just wonder what the big deal is surrounding the PS5 and to a lesser extent the Xbox.

I've had very little interest in these consoles, the main reason being I've not seen all that much I can't play on my PS4, Xbox One, PC or Switch.

PS5 has Ratchet and Clank and that Astro Playroom tech demo which...Well, they don't make me want to run out and slam down the cash. Other than that all I've seen is multiplatform titles I can still get on what I have and better graphics aren't enough to make me run out and buy either of these machines.

On a personal note, I've just grown very unfond of Sony's games. Bloodborne or Ratchet and Clank was the last I can say I thoroughly enjoyed but outside of that, I just don't like the route they've gone with such heavily scripted and handholdy games that feel more like a movie I'm allowed to take SOME part in rather than a game I can just sit and play for a few hours. Holding forward whilst two character talk, a 15 minute cutscene and mashing the A button to open a door/loading screen aren't that appealing to me.

I do get the feeling that FOMO plays a huge part in this. People want one because they're new, everybody wants one and they're constantly difficult to get. Games? Who cares, new shiny shiny.

I usually leave it about 2 years or so before I get a new console anyway as both the price will have dropped and they will actually have some exclusive content I can't get anywhere else, but that said I'm usually tempted 12 months in...But I'm just not this time around. I've never been so disinterested in a new console as I am with the PS5 and Xbox. I may just put more money aside, buy two new decent gaming PC's (one for my partner) and say goodbye to Sony and Microsoft consoles entirely.

I just wonder what the big deal is surrounding the PS5 and to a lesser extent the Xbox.

I've had very little interest in these consoles, the main reason being I've not seen all that much I can't play on my PS4, Xbox One, PC or Switch.

PS5 has Ratchet and Clank and that Astro Playroom tech demo which...Well, they don't make me want to run out and slam down the cash. Other than that all I've seen is multiplatform titles I can still get on what I have and better graphics aren't enough to make me run out and buy either of these machines.

On a personal note, I've just grown very unfond of Sony's games. Bloodborne or Ratchet and Clank was the last I can say I thoroughly enjoyed but outside of that, I just don't like the route they've gone with such heavily scripted and handholdy games that feel more like a movie I'm allowed to take SOME part in rather than a game I can just sit and play for a few hours. Holding forward whilst two character talk, a 15 minute cutscene and mashing the A button to open a door/loading screen aren't that appealing to me.

I do get the feeling that FOMO plays a huge part in this. People want one because they're new, everybody wants one and they're constantly difficult to get. Games? Who cares, new shiny shiny.

I usually leave it about 2 years or so before I get a new console anyway as both the price will have dropped and they will actually have some exclusive content I can't get anywhere else, but that said I'm usually tempted 12 months in...But I'm just not this time around. I've never been so disinterested in a new console as I am with the PS5 and Xbox. I may just put more money aside, buy two new decent gaming PC's (one for my partner) and say goodbye to Sony and Microsoft consoles entirely.

I feel ya. Personally I never had a PS3 or 4 so I can't say I understand were you're coming from with how Playstation games have taken a different route. That's also the reason why PS5 makes sense for me to buy, because since I 've had no investment with PS4 or any of it's games, having a Playstation console that can play all of the PS4 games but then also have better graphics is just a better deal in my position. I'm particularly excited about experiencing HDR 4K games and remakes which is something I've wanted to experience for many years now but never got the chance. But I get where you're coming from tho.

This is an unpopular opinion, but Sony should’ve delayed the system until the chip storage was over. They should’ve known that they couldn’t develop enough systems to meet the demand.

The stores should’ve also made precautions against scalpers by now. It’s ridiculous how they still have such an easy time obtaining nearly every unit within minutes.

The PS5 shortage is insane, especially since the shortage is primarily happening due to crypto miners and scalpers, not helped by the chip shortage. It's upsetting ngl.

My family has been lucky enough to get their hands on a few though. We sold a couple to friends (for market price, basically helping them buy it with no markup) since My Mom, Dad, and Brother know how to navigate that kinda stuff.
Personally, I dont really care. I've got my PS3 and I'm happy with that (got rid of my PS4 because I played it even less lmao), and I don't even play my PS3... like ever?? It just has the most games I would play on it. I also have my switch and PC and that's all I need.
Only game I'd really play on PS5 is Bugsnax and I got that on PC so we good.

While I do understand the reasoning behind international shipping and the materials shortage needed for them to make the product in question, I feel that regardless, it is pretty ridiculous honestly. I am not sure if Xbox is having this issue as bad as the PS5, but this is the first time I've ever had an issue trying to find a gaming console this badly in all of my years existing thus far. If anything, Sony should be working towards finding a way to at least, minmalize scalpers' efforts to at least help people get one.

The shortage is unfortunate since I would like a PS5 sooner rather than later, but ultimately it's out of my control so I haven't been stressed out over it. Because of the shortage I haven't bothered trying to get a PS5 since it came out, I'm just waiting until the shortage is over before I get one so that way I don't have to fight with other people and scalpers/bots in order to get it. Fortunately there isn't any game out that's exclusive to the PS5 or Xbox Series X that I want, so that helps as well, lol.

I was lucky enough to get a PS5, so I'm good.

I feel bad for other people who want it, though.

I was finally able to snag a Playstation 5 online (no i didn't buy from a scalper but one of the stores did a restock and I was able to get it from them). It's going to be a few weeks before it gets here but I'm okay with the wait.

Fidelity (graphics mode with ray tracing) + 40fps on Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart was too tempting to pass up so I gave it another chance lol and oh boy, I'm glad I did! The jump from 30fps to 40fps feels amazing. It's not 60fps, but it's really noticeable that I feel like it's a good trade-off to get Fidelity mode running on a higher framerate (40fps instead of 30) than going for Performance/Performance RT mode running on 60fps but you aren't maximizing the graphics. You need a 120hz capable TV though, at least, to enable the option. So far on my PS5, I've tried Rift Apart, Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut, and Demon's Souls Remake. As for my XSX, I've tried Control Ultimate Edition, Doom Eternal, and Psychonauts 2. They all look amazing on my OLED TV. Oh, and even Dragon Quest XI S that got butchered by the Switch port looks different on Series X with auto-HDR. Coming from someone who was using a Sony 4K/60hz TV for gaming, I enjoyed playing these games, but felt like I wasn't impressed or like, I wasn't maximizing their potential. I mean, if I could back, I probably should've gotten a TV with higher peak brightness that could output a true HDR as well as support games up to 120fps with VRR before getting a PS5/Xbox Series X.

In short, if you would ask me, I'd rather save up for a mid to higher-end TV or monitor first before buying these consoles. I had my XSX since December of last year and my PS5 last March, but feels like I've only started to experience next-gen just last month.

I'm not looking for a PS5 (my PS dreams started and ended with the PS2) so not having them in stock doesn't impact me... but I can't believe that there's still a shortage!! I know scalping was one of the biggest issues for it and now there's a parts shortage (? correct me if I'm wrong) which makes the issue even worse...

May all those looking for a PS5 get them soon. Rooting for y'all!

the scalping issue is more a online storefront cyber security problem than anything, but the console shortage is mostly being caused by chip shortages. i was never planning on getting a next gen console since ive moved over to PC full time, but its probably going to be a while yet before parts stock gets back to normal.

my best recommendation for ppl looking for these consoles would be to follow live trackers to see when new shipments get added at stores and just try and be there as fast as possible. a neat tip if you're waiting on the items page yourself is just to keep pressing F5, its the fastest way to refresh a page.

Reactions: Neb
Honestly I am not interested in getting the PS5 it doesn't have games that interest me so I am sticking with the PS4. Although I will say it does suck with the shortage and the scalpers making it harder get the PS5, not only that but the Pandemic has made it worse to even get them shipped out. I saw on the News that they have backlog of Packages filled up in warehouses. It got so bad they had to move them to containers at the Docks.

I'm not getting one but the scalpers can burn in hell anyway! :)

i recently just bought the last of us part 2 and that thing makes my ps4 fan runs like crazy damn. makes me realise how old my ps4 is already and its time to say goodbye and replace it with a ps5. the shortage though, is making it vbery hard for me to get one to play the newer and more demanding games so i'd be sticking with my ps4 for now. i still got a lot of things i want to play on my switch anyway. i reckon the ps5 would be widely available maybe 2023.

Back