• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Horror Game You Enjoyed?

I finished playing - The Dark Pictures Anthology: Little Hope (PS5)
1713699162663.png

My... was it good I was screaming at my character to run faster when spooky things were happening haha
I loved the graphics for a game made during the time it came out. I also played this in the dark very late at night hahaha

I'm not a huge fan of horror games, just like I'm not a fan of horror as a genre (it doesn't scare me, it just bores me), but I have played the SMT games if those count. There are some things in there that are pretty creepy...

Has nobody mentioned Inscryption? I guess it’s more “spooky” than “horror” but there are distinctly horror segments/elements to it. And honestly that game is a masterpiece, top 10 for me.

for solo games, im more partial to rpgmaker horror games
  • ib
  • witch's house
  • ao oni
  • off
  • the crooked man
  • omori
  • mermaid swamp
very based reply from the based mistreil
im also a very avid fan of horror rpg maker games!! Ib was my first love (Mary my beloved), and my interest in the genre just grew! here are some other i’ve played personally or watched playthroughs of (mostly the latter because im a scaredy cat i cannot play most horror games myself LOL)
  • Yume Nikki (another favorite of mine)
  • Mad Father (Dio my beloved)
  • Misao
  • Corpse Party
  • The Sandman, The Boogie Man (two spritual successors to The Crooked Man)
  • Alicemare (really cute graphics, i love it)
  • LISA: The Painful (more of gore horror than supernatural horror, lots of sensitive topics too but the story is good)
i would say misao & corpse party are fun to play for the jumpscare factor and general spooks, the man series (crooked man, sandman, boogie man) have really really great stories even with simple pixels (there’s a fourth game in the series but i forgot the name, i havent checked it yet), alicemare has a really lovely art style with good atmosphere, story, and characters, Mad Father has loveable characters (again, dio my beloved), and LISA: The Painful is such a slept on pixel game, it has such an impactful story amidst really mature topics that keeps you on your toes (their trailer literally says “lisa is dead” which is. so good. cuz lisa is so prominent in the story despite her already being long gone. chefs kiss)

i'm a fan of horror games so i've played quite a bit. in no particular order just naming games on top of my head :>

1. resident evil 4 remake: i really enjoyed the story so i was determined to play this. also leon kennedy is smoking hot 😘 i'm not a huge fan of shooters though... so i got through this one by playing it in the easy mode lmaooooo (pls no judge ok). overrall, a great entry in the resident evil series.
2. resident evil 2 remake: i played this after resident evil 4 because that felt like the natural choice to see leon's beginning. also another great remake. not as good as 4 but still very good nonetheless
3. resident evil biohazard: an amazing revival of the resident evil series that spawned all the other great remakes. it's quite different to all the other resident evil games thus far i believe and leans more towards psychological horror which i thought was a really nice switch up. the atmosphere was amazing and the baker family was truly terrifying. i've been meaning to play village as well but never really got to it.
4. detention/devotion: both by the same game studio and they're not sequels but they have similar themes and take place in similar times. both have amazing plots that felt really original. they're more like visual novels i think. the atmosphere and art is awesome. i hope to see more games from this studio in the future
5. paranormasight the seven mysteries of honjo: i initially bought this since i was surprised that square enix released a visual novel game. i really enjoyed this one and the branching storyline is really fun. trying to figure out how all the characters are interconnected made it also feel like a detective/mystery game. u would solve a problem in one timeline and it would help a character in their own timeline. very cool! all the characters were likeable and the story was also good. this is a great game overrall
6. doki doki literature club: i feel like everybody knows this one by now. another great horror visual novel.
7. fatal frame 2 crimson butterfly: a classic japanese horror game. it was truly spooky. the atmosphere is amazing. the fact that u aren't able to fight back also adds to the horror in this game. the plot is also great. i look forward to the newer fatal frame game coming out whenever it does.
8. soma: i would say soma is more on the psychological side of horror than traditional horror, but the ending really makes it more horrifying than any zombies/ghosts
9. mortuary's assistant: i think the concept of rng jumpscares is really fun. and i like dissecting different bodies everytime as well. the only thing is i suck at guessing who's supposed to be the bad one so i could never get the good ending lol
10. ib/mad father/corpse party: all classic anime horror games that i'm pretty sure any horror game fans already know about and have played a long while ago

some other mentions that i don't have particular opinions about but were good games anyways: the evil within, until dawn (and the dark pictures anthology in general), yomawari and its sequel, layers of fear, madison, what reminds of edith finch, and the vanishing of ethan carter.

Back