• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

How do you Feel About the PS5 Shortage?

Haha I feel you. I wouldn't say I like the Playstation more than Nintendo or vice versa, but I definitely need to have both equally. I honestly can't really live without Nintendo or Playstation lmao. I can't only pick one. I need both. Probably why I don't feel as me in my life right now since I had to sell my PS2 a few years ago when I was going thru financial difficulties lmao

@Weemaddz Damn that's so insane. I did recently think about how on point XBox was in being able to have like pretty much every single game backwards compatible even on the latest consoles. It really frustrates me that Playstation and Nintendo won't do this. It's very clearly about the money. But that's another topic for another day lol. I literally reached out to Nintendo tho and asked them if they could have gamecube games and N64 games backwards compatible a few months ago and they said they have no intention of doing anything like that any time soon or something like that. I might be remembering wrong but yeah.
If I had to pick between the two I would absolutely go Sony. I've put more hours into my PS5 in the year I have had it than I have put into my Switch in four years.

Given I've seen the Xbox counterparts mentioned, I'll point out here that ports of many older PlayStation games are available for digital download, and you can also access many current and older games via a PS Now subscription. Using PS Remote Play you can also play your games on other devices.

I think all consoles have their good points an bad really

Xboxs pros is the game pass, a huge library of all types of games both indie an AAA an many come out on release day as well, forza, flight sim were both out on release day an very expensive to buy, also they have merged with EA so again you have all EA games included
Being able to play on console then have to go on a train an pick up your phone an continuing the game is another huge pro

The cons however are not all xbox games are backwards compatible, mostly the popular ones are but they still lack in a lot of the older titles
Again not all games are a pick up where you left off on other devices, mostly the ones that are huge memory or graphics I don't believe are on it
Lastly they aren't quite as ahead of the game with the exclusives, they still lack with some really good exclusives

Nintendo pros I'd say is the ability to just pick it up an go, being able to be both docked an handheld is great
The exclusives is has is unreal, there's so many on the Nintendo you can't get on any others
Also if you have a Japanese account you can actually buy some of the games a lot cheaper an most come where you can set the language at the beginning to English, it also allows such a wider choice in games as well as some are only from the Japanese website

Cons are definitely it's joy con drift, that drives me completely insane
Also I feel like Nintendo have the most expensive games out, even smaller titles can still be on the pricy side
Some games like AC are definitely heavy on the battery life as well if it's in handheld

PlayStation pros are the exclusives, they have such a ton of really amazing AAA games you can only get on ps
The VR again another really cool feature that you can add to the ps and some of the VR games look really fun

Cons are not having a game pass style of membership like xbox, means I can't try out games, I'd need to pay the price an just hope I'd like it an some aren't cheap
An again not being able to play on different devices or pick it up an go, am really routed to the consoles an nothing else

If I had to pick between the two I would absolutely go Sony. I've put more hours into my PS5 in the year I have had it than I have put into my Switch in four years.

Given I've seen the Xbox counterparts mentioned, I'll point out here that ports of many older PlayStation games are available for digital download, and you can also access many current and older games via a PS Now subscription. Using PS Remote Play you can also play your games on other devices.

So if I wanted to play Legend of Dragoon on PS5, I could just download it via the store/subscription?

I think all consoles have their good points an bad really

Xboxs pros is the game pass, a huge library of all types of games both indie an AAA an many come out on release day as well, forza, flight sim were both out on release day an very expensive to buy, also they have merged with EA so again you have all EA games included
Being able to play on console then have to go on a train an pick up your phone an continuing the game is another huge pro

The cons however are not all xbox games are backwards compatible, mostly the popular ones are but they still lack in a lot of the older titles
Again not all games are a pick up where you left off on other devices, mostly the ones that are huge memory or graphics I don't believe are on it
Lastly they aren't quite as ahead of the game with the exclusives, they still lack with some really good exclusives

Nintendo pros I'd say is the ability to just pick it up an go, being able to be both docked an handheld is great
The exclusives is has is unreal, there's so many on the Nintendo you can't get on any others
Also if you have a Japanese account you can actually buy some of the games a lot cheaper an most come where you can set the language at the beginning to English, it also allows such a wider choice in games as well as some are only from the Japanese website

Cons are definitely it's joy con drift, that drives me completely insane
Also I feel like Nintendo have the most expensive games out, even smaller titles can still be on the pricy side
Some games like AC are definitely heavy on the battery life as well if it's in handheld

PlayStation pros are the exclusives, they have such a ton of really amazing AAA games you can only get on ps
The VR again another really cool feature that you can add to the ps and some of the VR games look really fun

Cons are not having a game pass style of membership like xbox, means I can't try out games, I'd need to pay the price an just hope I'd like it an some aren't cheap
An again not being able to play on different devices or pick it up an go, am really routed to the consoles an nothing else

Good point.

My dad somehow managed to get a PS5 4 or so months ago during a GameStop restock. PlayStation is honestly probably my favorite console so I was really excited to be able to play more again since my parents usually use the PS4 when I would use it. I also really like how the controllers are so... fancy? idk if that's the right word but the features they have with the games built for PlayStation are really cool. Also the load times are a lot faster to me. I do think it's really annoying how there's so little stock of them with how many people want them though.

I'm at a point where buying new games takes more effort than it's worth it. And honestly, even though I always played on consoles (even when I had a pc), my favorite platform always was the arcades. A Neo Geo AES was too expensive for me, but coin-ops machines were everywhere and they were stupidly affordable to play on. I grew on fighting games and platformers. My ps4 has more arcade games in it than new games. If I ever get another platform to play on, it will be either a raspberry pi4 or a modest laptop to play street fighter 3 and kof on fightcade.

I managed to get two, one for me and my brother. The restocks really help if you keep track of them via that guy on Twitter. The best place to get them is Gamestop's website. They only allow pro members to shop for it so that limits scalpers from buying a bunch. It's usually bundles though. I enjoy mine, nice design, and runs super quickly and smooth. Very impressed with load times and frame rate quality / image quality. It's a noticeable difference even if you don't pay attention to those things. If you're able to afford getting one and you're a gamer (someone who plays lots of games / different variety of games), then get it, otherwise if you play one or two of the same games or types of games like sports or shooters and thats it, and not someone who games a lot either, then save your money and stick with a PS4, since that's still fine too. Basically, just get it if you game a lot and can afford it.

Doesn't affect me atm since I'm one of those people who're waiting until the PS5's library of next gen games is bigger. The only exclusive that appeals to me rn is Spider-man and the rest of its library I can play on my PS4.
Hoping the chip shortage is sorted by 2023 like Sony predicted though, I'd very much like one by then. Maybe scalpers will have moved on as well.

I've been sorta kinda considering whether to get one or not due to its 4K Blu Ray capabilities and because it would allow me to play Persona 5 Royal via its backward compatibility with the PS4. Between the global chip shortage contributing to the PS5's scarcity, alongside scalpers using bots to snag them up, I don't really know that I want to bother with keeping an eye out for restocks. As such, I'm leaning more toward either just waiting it out for the chip shortage issues to hopefully lessen like other posters here or just not bothering. I feel like I'd get more out of PC gaming and could probably find a decent blu ray player, so the only thing I'd be missing out on is Persona 5 Royal, but eh, we'll see.

So if I wanted to play Legend of Dragoon on PS5, I could just download it via the store/subscription?
I'm not familiar with which games are and aren't available beyond those that personally interest me, so that's something you would need to look into.

I would really love to get a Playstation 5 but they are still really hard to come by around here, I am hoping that eventually I will be able to get one. I don't really know how I feel about the shortage, I feel like they should have been able to foresee that there was going to be supply chain issues and held off on releasing it until they could keep up with the demand.

I wanna reply to all of you individually but as an INFP my socialization has it's boundaries lol I'm getting an insane amount of replies on threads here so what I'll say is I read all of your replies, and I feel you guys. Thanks for sharing and to those that gave me info, I appreciate it. I need to recharge my batteries lol. I'll do my best in general to be active etc tho

That's no worries, we can only read when we get time

Am curious what will happen with next gen with our new law in place, so because of scalpers with what happened our government have now decided to put a law out that consoles can't be sold for more than the retail price, they couldn't do it this time cause of how long laws take to pass but should make for a interesting show with next gen now that these scalpers can't sell for more than what they buy it for

That's no worries, we can only read when we get time

Am curious what will happen with next gen with our new law in place, so because of scalpers with what happened our government have now decided to put a law out that consoles can't be sold for more than the retail price, they couldn't do it this time cause of how long laws take to pass but should make for a interesting show with next gen now that these scalpers can't sell for more than what they buy it for

Thanks for being understanding. And oh yeahh. I wonder too.

I know it was in talks when the ps5 an xbox x both got released that they needed to do somthing about this, I know England had it a lot worse than the rest of the UK an it was them that really pushed for this

Again it doesn't seem to affect me, when they released the preorders for the xbox they opened them at 8am an I was in town at that time anyway so went round to the shop an got my preorder at 8am from the shop I was collecting from, was pretty quick an on release day I was one of the firsts that had mine an had it on an playing before lunch

I don't have any interest in one. Sucks for those that do, but at the same time there is a worldwide shortage of microchips which is affecting more than just game consoles. Some things that I feel are more important than game consoles should be prioritized for the microchips that we do have in my opinion, but that's me.

I know there's more than the chip shortage affecting stock of the PS5 but it definitely isn't helping the matter.

I had a chance to get one just now, but my stupid credit card limit was just below the cost. The shipping costs were $13 so I got a Playstation Plus 1 month card with my parents credit card to nullify the costs. Then by the time I panicked through all of this, it was out of stock. What a complete waste. I guess it's for the better. I already have a Series X, but damn did I want a PS5 too for those exclusives. Going to give up on getting one this year. Maybe next year.

I had a chance to get one just now, but my stupid credit card limit was just below the cost. The shipping costs were $13 so I got a Playstation Plus 1 month card with my parents credit card to nullify the costs. Then by the time I panicked through all of this, it was out of stock. What a complete waste. I guess it's for the better. I already have a Series X, but damn did I want a PS5 too for those exclusives. Going to give up on getting one this year. Maybe next year.

That's totally screwed. You should keep trying tho if you really want it. You may even be able to get it discounted on Black Friday/Cyber Monday. Never give up. If I had the money right now, I would 100% keep trying to get it until I nabbed it.

Dumb move from their side. Not that I want one but I know people who does and it's like... wtf happened.

I have an XBOX Series X. I’m mainly an XBOX gamer, so I don’t really care for the PS5 shortage. My best friend has a PS4 though and I know the PS5’s are real hard to get ahold of.

Last edited:
I have an Xbox Series S. We aren’t very technologically advanced and the S has the perfect specs for our TV. And the games I play on it like Forza and Microsoft Flight Simulator are Xbox/PC exclusives. However I have a couple of friends who are on team PlayStation and I know how hard the struggle is to get one. Out of five or so of my friends who want one, only one person has managed to find one.

Back