• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

How do/would you refer to your cousin's kids?

How do/would you refer to your cousin's kids?

• Cousin

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Cousin's Kids

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • Second Cousin

• First Cousin Once Removed

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Niece/Nephew/Nibling

• Other (explain)

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters

VernalLapin

hey, moon
Bells
Red Rose
Red Rose
Flimsy Watering Can
Spring Sakura
Rotating Fool's Egg
Sweet Bunny Balloon
Dino Plush
Floral Train Car
Ruby
Sweetheart Easter Egg
For a while, I'd called them my second cousins, though that term technically means your parents' cousins' kids. The correct term is first cousin once removed, but I hate it, it's such a mouthful! So I just called them cousins for a while. But then I learned boyfriend calls his cousin's kid his nephew and I like that. I don't have any siblings, and I like it that way, but I also kinda want to be an aunt. So I might start calling them my nieces and nephews. Besides, they're all pretty young so the dynamic is closer to being a stereotypical aunt.

i’ve honestly always just referred to them as my cousin’s kids, since i didn’t know that “first cousin once removed” was the actual term for them haha. i don’t have a relationship with any of them, though, so i’ll probably still call them my cousin’s kids 😅

I say my cousin's kid/son, but I'm not very close to my cousin and I've only met her son a handful of times. If they were a regular part of my life, I'd probably want to use a term that felt more familiar. If you and your cousin agree, I think it'd be sweet to call them your nieces and nephews.

I just call them my cousin's son/daughter. If it should ever become more complicated than that, I'll probably just revert to saying "one of my relatives."

I normally refer to them as my cousins or my cousin's kids in an everyday context. It just sounds more colloquial than calling them your cousins once removed. While my cousins tell their kids to call me their uncle, they technically aren't my nephews and nieces, so I'd rather refer to them as my cousin's kids.

By the name my cousins gave them I would think. I sometimes have to remember how I am related to people. I feel I have a lot of cousins who are technically some other label.

To me cousin is a 'loose' term applicable to actual cousins and people who are friends of the family but not actually related or married in the family. Keeping up with seconds, thirds, ect... gets too confusing so everyone is a cousin (besides aunt).

While they're indeed my second cousins, I just go with cousins.
But when talking to others people, I do call them 'my cousin's kids'.

I just say cousin unless someone asked, then I would use the numbers, first second third fourth. I don't go beyond that because I don't know them if they are beyond fourth.
Most cousins that are my age range are second third and fourth anyway.

Back