• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do you refer to non blood relations as Uncle or Aunt?

No. The only exception is the man who married my aunt a few years ago. He is not blood related. I still refer to him as an uncle for simplification reasons. And I guess it's technically true now.

His son has called me one of his little brothers, which felt like a high compliment.

I used to refer to my mother's best friend as Aunt, along with her kids as cousins. My brothers and I used to really get along with her kids because we all loced video games and played it together when we visited one another. I think we lost touch though, and my "aunt" just stopped talking to my mother altogether. She was in touch recently and was supposed to visit last year though.

I honestly don't even refer my blood Uncles and Aunts as family, honestly. Same with my cousins. I'm just not that close with anyone outside my actual family.

I have never done this with"aunt" and "uncle", but I used to call a twice-removed cousin "Grandma"

As a kid, I referred to my parents' siblings as well as their spouses as aunt/uncle, so both the blood-relative and the relative by law. I also referred to any of my parents' friends as aunt or uncle too. I think that's fairly common in Aus. 😊

Last edited:
I was adopted so I do. My sister was adopted too but we’re from different families. I don’t have any aunts or uncles I talk to anymore though.

ooh actually not really... now that I think about it, it's kinda weird that I don't because it's a cultural norm for my community to call familiar elders aunts/uncles. I always felt kinda weird calling friends' parents aunt/uncle so I never did.

When I was a kid I called my parents friends aunts/uncles but I don't call them that anymore now that I'm older, now I just call them by their names.

No. Then again I had more than enough aunts and uncles on both sides to remember their names. My parents rarely ever brought people into our house, so I think that this also played a part.

I have not had the experience/need to do this but I 100% would, the same way I would respect calling adoptive parents someone’s mom or dad

My parents had a close friend when I was itty bitty and we refered to him as uncle though he wasn't related whatsoever.
Family isn't always blood and that's ok.

yes I’m asian so I use to call every older asian person outside of my family aunties and uncles when I was younger. now that I’m older I only call my friends parents or older acquaintances auntie or uncle. I had one of my niece’s friend call me auntie the other day 😅 made me feel old, lol I guess that’s just the circle of life.

I don't personally refer to anyone that isn't blood related as aunt or uncle; I lack the cultural influence to do so, I don't talk that much anyway, I don't know anyone who is close enough that would fit the bill and I'm at an age where, with all those factors combined, it would be kind of awkward and strange to do so.

I fully intend never to have children, for multiple reasons, but if I ever did then I would refer to my best and closest friends as aunts/uncles to my hypothetical kids as a way to convey the high esteem I hold them in and show that they're close family friends.

Back