• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What common name do you use to refer to Puma concolor?

What name do you use to refer to this animal?

• Puma

• Cougar

• Mountain Lion

• Catamount

• Florida Panther

• A name exclusive to my language/culture

• Other(explain!)

Results are only viewable after voting.

-Mars-

Drift's #1 Fan
Bells
I've had this idea for this thread for a while but I'm self-conscious about making threads.

This animal is known by many common names and I wanted to see what is the most common name people use to refer to this animal, so what do you call Puma concolor?
Ontwerp-zonder-titel-6 (1).jpg

KITTY

I call them pumas/mountain lions/cougars interchangeably! I actually don't think I've ever heard of catamount before though : o

A really scary cougar. Not the kind that wants your money, but your tasty meat juice.

Scary critters, but not as scary as a moose or grizzly bear.

My high school mascot was a cougar, so that is what I see when looking at that animal.

Puma, Cougar, and Mountain Lion all seem equally correct to me! But when I see this picture, puma seems to be the first word that comes to mind.

Kinda weird how it has so many popular names

For some reason, I always thought mountain lion, puma, and cougar were different species of animals altogether, considering how many mascots I've seen that seem to coexist with other mascots of the same thing, just under a different name. I call them different things depending on the genus.

The word "catamount" is highly underrated, though. "These deeds are catamount to treason!"

I call it "geez, I sure hope I don't get eaten alive by this thing..."

Cougar or puma! I can't say I've used the name "mountain lion", though I've heard them referred to as such. I haven't heard them referred to as "catamounts" or "Florida Panthers" before (except the hockey team, which makes more sense now!).

It's puma in my primary languages so there's no reason for me to call it anything but that in English too.

I had no idea there was so many different names for this animal. when I saw the picture my brain definitely went for mountain lion, but I would have said cougar too. I’ve never heard of catamount before and when I see panther I think of a black panther.

those arent in the minds of australians so im not sure what most of us say, but i say puma because we have a servo station company called puma with a puma logo. and the puma sports brand also comes to mind. i had no clue these were what mountain lions were!

I usually call it a cougar or mountain lion. I haven't seen one with my own eyes but they do live in my province.

I chose mountain lions because that is what they are called everywhere I have lived.

Someone mentioned mountain lions or bears. Honestly I would rather see a bear. They are both terrifying, but I have more experience with trying to get my 12 pound cat into a carrier to go to the vet. And going by the fight of a my cat, I can't imagine an attack from something 5 to 20 times bigger!

i literally had no idea pumas and mountain lions were the same thing bc i've only ever hear them called pumas 😭

Back