• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Help me sleep!

Darcy94x

tired mama
Bells
Pink Hybrid Hyacinth
Red Rose
Yellow Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
Red Hyacinth
Flimsy Watering Can
White Rose
White Rose
Red Lily
Red Lily
Hi guys,

I’m currently literally sleep deprived and would love your advice on how to get a better nights sleep, the last 3/4 weeks I’ve been struggling to fall asleep and stay asleep so curious about peoples home remedies! I have 2 kids under 10 so sleeping pills are not an option 🙁

it helps me a bit to read before bed, on paper not a screen

that being said i still have ingrained sleep issues lol, sometimes it just be like that

I personally listen to sleep meditation or lofi sounds. It's something that I didn't start doing until recently and now I'm wondering why it took me so long. I sleep very well listening to some of the tracks I have saved.

this is not helpful or viable for everyone but you should really see a doctor, sleep deprivation/struggles sleeping can be it's own problem but it could also be an underlying cause of something else like a sleep disorder or other health issue. if this is something you know about then disregard.

lavender helps me fall asleep really quick. a fresh, cozy blanket right out of the dryer. try "weighing" down yourself with heavier blankets, i've heard it helps folks fall asleep. i've been doing that for years so i can't recall if it helps me any better or not.

I have a noisemaker! It really helps. Reading helps, too.
You can also take some melatonin before bed.

this is not helpful or viable for everyone but you should really see a doctor, sleep deprivation/struggles sleeping can be it's own problem but it could also be an underlying cause of something else like a sleep disorder or other health issue. if this is something you know about then disregard.

lavender helps me fall asleep really quick. a fresh, cozy blanket right out of the dryer. try "weighing" down yourself with heavier blankets, i've heard it helps folks fall asleep. i've been doing that for years so i can't recall if it helps me any better or not.
I have! They’ve offered me tablets but obviously with having 2 young children I opted against 🥲 I’m going through a lot of stress especially the last 7 weeks so they probably correlate, it’s just frustrating 🥺

I have! They’ve offered me tablets but obviously with having 2 young children I opted against 🥲 I’m going through a lot of stress especially the last 7 weeks so they probably correlate, it’s just frustrating 🥺
stress is absolutely a big contributing factor to poor sleep. they go hand and hand and can create a viscous cycle. the more stress, the less sleep. the less sleep, the more stress etc. try to find ways to keep your waking conscious under less duress or find ways to cope with the stress around bed time to put your mind at ease before bed. easier said than done, but it's just the "ideal" scenario T_T i hope you get the help you need soon.

If you have an Android device, search up "sleep sounds" on the Play store. I can't guarantee that it will help you get into a deep sleep, but I've found it very helpful for just relaxing. You can customize it with all different sounds and adjust the volume of each sound channel to your liking. You can even set a timer for the sounds to stop after a certain amount of time. The app is a bit of a battery drainer, though, so I recommend keeping your device plugged in while using it.

It depends on what's waking you up, I think! You just have to address that issue, whether it be stress or racing thoughts, sometimes it's bedroom temperature or lights. If the kids are at the age where they keep jumping in bed with you, you may be out of luck. But I'm pretty good at sleeping... Only because I get so busy that I just work until I'm so exhausted that I crash!

I am just here for some tips myself 🥱👀 Sometimes I read a book when I can't fall asleep until I feel like I can't keep my eyes open anymore or go taking a really warm shower makes me also super tired.

Biggest help for me are rain sounds! Can't sleep without them!

Try reading a book! That usually helps make my eyes tired and then I can fall asleep

Music and reading books are the easiest to try but re: medicine, this is if you can afford it, I would at least ask about melatonin? There’s kind of a routine about taking it so ymmv anyway, but as far as I know from my experience looking this up and asking the worst that can happen from taking it is oversleeping. Definitely don’t take my word for gospel there but again I would ask about it. Wishing you luck, my sleep currently sucks too.

There's over-the-counter melatonin you can get at Target, but there's also

1691397086167.png

This stuff is GREAT, and puts me right out.

^ Damn, they don’t sell it over the counter down here, but I can vouch for that tea. I forgot to mention tea

IIRC milk literally has a tiny amount of melatonin so it might help. But don’t have multiple glasses please lol, one time I had excess calcium from drinking so much milk that I got an iron deficiency from it.

This sleep meditation/sleepcast has single-handedly put me to sleep every night for one or two years when nothing else would. I went through a time where I was lying awake for hours on end without being able to fall asleep. Listening to this made me fall asleep within the first 10 minutes usually, especially during the initial breathing exercise. The speaker reminds me of David Attenborough, who has the same effect on me now xD Can't watch any BBC things for long before I fall asleep, I conditioned myself that old man voice= bedtime.

Here's the full version:

^ Damn, they don’t sell it over the counter down here, but I can vouch for that tea. I forgot to mention tea

IIRC milk literally has a tiny amount of melatonin so it might help. But don’t have multiple glasses please lol, one time I had excess calcium from drinking so much milk that I got an iron deficiency from it.
I actually advise against milk. At least, not cold milk. It has sugar content (albeit a small amount) that can make it more difficult to sleep. It's why I've traditionally used milk as a means of waking myself up. Hot milk is age-old remedy to aid sleep, but I've never had any luck with it. I presume that it's more to do with hot beverages in general being relaxing than milk having any helpful qualities.

Back