• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

The Prima Strategy Guide to Potential Animal Crossing Additions Designed Strictly to Appeal to Me and Literally Nobody Else

Belle T

head thoughts, no empty
Bells
There already exists a number of threads on this forum about desired updates and new features, and I suppose I could have used one of those, but since this is essentially an ultra mega wishlist, I decided it would be easier to just make a new thread about it. As I was doing my daily rounds on New Horizons the other day, a tidal wave of inspiration hit me as to what features could be added to make Animal Crossing—and especially New Horizons—feel fresh and not just a repeat of the previous games.

Something to keep in mind before I proceed: I have deliberately abstained from including any changes directly pertaining to villager dialogue as well as features that already exist in previous titles. These topics have been discussed on countless occasions, and I want this thread to be about fun and exciting new additions to Animal Crossing, rather than grumbling about how more recent entries may have failed to live up to their predecessors. I’ve also decided against listing bug fixes or tiny frustrations that exist due to developer oversight. It’s not that these features don’t deserve to be addressed, but that it’s perhaps more suited to the ACNH Pet Peeves thread, and also they’re far too numerous to list here.

With that out of the way, here is my long-winded list of things I thought a future update (or future installment in the series, since 2.0 was the last major update for New Horizons) could introduce to make the games a noticeable step forward from the previous games.​

Basic Controls/Quality of Life Features

• Aiming reticle for tools
This is something that has frustrated me for a long time. To my eyes, I may be directly facing the area where I want to dig, or holding my net right in the path of a bug, or perfectly aligned with a fish’s line of sight, only to use the appropriate tool and completely miss the mark. Just adding a simple reticle for where your tool will land when you use it would make these common activities much less tedious. And if Nintendo insists on keeping tool durability, it would minimize the number of uses wasted on accidental misfires before the tool inevitably breaks.​

• Visual indicator for when fish bite
My primary strategy for catching fish is to close my eyes and listen for the sound of the bobber being bitten. Because looking at the fish while it nibbles away greatly increases the chances that I’m going to accidentally attempt to reel it in too early. But what if I’m in a situation where I need to turn the volume down? There is a slight visual indicator that shows when a fish has latched onto your line, but especially if you’re playing in handheld mode, it’s so slight, it’s easy to miss. I am perplexed at the noticeable absence of a more visible indicator to convey when a fish has bitten the lure, because Pocket Camp (a free to play mobile game released multiple years before New Horizons) already has one. In that game, when a fish has bitten the lure, an exclamation mark will appear above the player. This is a necessity for a mobile phone game, but as the Switch (and also the 3DS, but I digress) is also a portable system, it should really be afforded the same luxury.​

• An actual options menu; it’s 2022 for cripes sake, Nintendo.
Don’t like any of the features I’ve mentioned above? Then, just go to the options menu and turn them off. It should be that simple. But to the present day, Nintendo has been reluctant to give us any settings that allow players to customize how the game controls, or to give us any settings that might increase accessibility for disabled players.

Modern (circa 2002) conveniences such as music and sound channel sliders, the ability to toggle animal speech on and off, and many others would also be so greatly appreciated.​

• Designer Mode For Landscaping/Waterscaping
This one is slightly contentious. I think Nintendo may not wish to implement this kind of feature out of fear of making terraforming on a personal level completely obsolete. However, I think this option would go a long way to making the process quicker and easier.​

Island Features

• Exterior Soundscapes
Sound is a criminally under-explored element in the overall aesthetic of your island. Sure, you can install any number of record players, boom boxes, and other musical furniture in your home to play songs from K.K.’s expansive library. And the Happy Home Paradise DLC now allows players to choose from a variety of soundscapes to use on the inside of their home. But what’s stopping us from doing this outside, as well?

New Horizons allows players to place music players outside, which track player proximity and become quieter or louder based on how close they are to the speaker. And that’s a good step in the right direction. But if, for example, I wanted to make an island that was Halloween themed, the normal town tunes can really diminish the impact. One solution would be to have music players scattered all over the island, but that’s… highly impractical.

Allowing players to change the music would go a long way in establishing the theme or central identity of your island. Ideally, the music could be changed so one track plays constantly or players could choose from a playlist of songs to rotate hourly. In addition to the benefits of increased customization, I think allowing players to change the music would also lessen player fatigue at hearing the same pieces of music every time they boot up the game.

Of course, music isn’t the only thing that you should be allowed to change. Suppose you have an island that is rainforest themed. Having a “Sounds of the Jungle” style soundscape would really bring that idea to life. Or if your island is themed around an urban city, a number of soundscapes already in New Horizons could easily be repurposed in this fashion.

These features could be contextualized in-game as diegetic music and sound played over a loudspeaker in the town square.

Island Facilities

• Museum: The Aviary
Since the very beginning of the series, players have been collecting fish, bugs, and fossils to donate to the museum. While there have been some fleeting moments of innovation, such as the introduction of diving in New Leaf, the majority of the changes in this system have only amended the number of creatures you can collect, rather than the type of creatures and the method of obtaining them. This had me thinking: What other creatures could players reasonably be expected to obtain that would be in the same spirit as bugs and fish? As I was putting my Switch down to feed my own pet bird, it suddenly hit me.

Birds. Yes, birds.

It seems like such an obvious next step that I begin to wonder why Nintendo hasn’t thought of it themselves. Players could catch birds, donate them to Blathers, and he will put them on display in a cozy aviary in the museum. (Should go without saying that this is something you should not be doing in real life)

Once that idea formed in my head, I began to wonder, how would the players go about catching birds? The obvious solution would be to use the same nets you would use to catch bugs. That would probably work, too, but I wanted to be a little more creative, so I came up with a different answer.

Suppose if, instead of catching birds in nets, players could instead put bird feeders at various spots around the island, putting different types of feed into them to attract different types of birds. Then, once a bird has made itself at home in one, players could take the feeder, place it in their pockets (video game logic), and donate the bird to the museum. I think this could be an interesting and slightly more strategic—though much more passive—method of capture that would mechanically differentiate birds from bugs.

Some reading this now might be thinking that it would be weird for the game to allow us to catch birds when there is no shortage of villagers who also happen to be birds. To that end, I’d like to remind you of this unsettling implication.

unknown.png

Also, there is a normal, non-villager bird that lands on the bulletin board in the town square, so I don’t think the existence of bird villagers makes this concept untenable. Also, I just like birds.​

• Able Sisters: Create Custom Patterns From Existing Clothing
This is a feature that somewhat existed in New Leaf, where furniture could be customized using the patterns on clothing in addition to custom designs made by the player. However, I think this concept could be expanded upon by allowing the player to take a piece of clothing already made in the game and customize its pattern in the editor.

I’m sure many people can relate to not being exceptionally talented at creating their own clothes. The barrier to entry for this sort of thing would probably be much lower if players could edit existing designs to learn how they are made and to add their own spin to them. There are a number of situations I can think of where I’ve seen a piece of clothing and thought “I’d like something in this shape, but maybe with a different pattern,” or “This piece of clothing needs just one little thing to make it truly special.”

Villager Features

• Additional Rooms in Villager Homes
It was to my great disappointment that the 2.0 update which allows you to customize the homes of your villagers does not allow you to fit them with more rooms, as well. It’s rather disappointing to me that while the player may reside in what might as well be a mansion by comparison, the villagers are left with one-room, one-story houses with only the initial room size. Not every villager house need be fully upgraded, but I feel some variation would make visiting their houses slightly more interesting. Not to mention, it would give players who enjoy decorating their villagers’ homes more to do.​

• Roommates
And with more space afforded to villagers thanks to having multiple rooms, villagers should be free to move in with one another, just as they can in Happy Home Paradise. This was something I was thinking about when the topic of paired villagers (such as Chrissy and Francine) cropped up recently. It would be interesting if these villagers also operated as a pair. This could include not just living together, but also moving to the island as a pair, instead of one at a time, and having your interactions with one impact your relationship with the other. But I’m getting ahead of myself.

Nintendo could also experiment with the idea of letting villagers move into the player’s home, but I’m admittedly struggling to think of how they could do that in a way that is engaging while also staying consistent to the core design of the series. I think it would be interesting if roommates could occasionally add their own furniture and leave little presents for the player, but I can also picture that getting very annoying. This would, of course, be an optional mechanic, no matter how it’s implemented.

These are just some of the things I came up while playing recently. Any of these ideas speak to you specifically? How would you improve on my ideas? Throw them out entirely? Do that comment thing that people do on message boards, because I’d love to hear your feedback. Like/comment/subscribe!​

I would 100% be down for all your highlighted villager features and the existence of a designer mode. I've been thinking I wish I could have a roommate villager for a while now and wish I could make my villagers move in with each other so I could have space for more plots on my island for a while now. I have mixed feelings about a few. Birds in the museum specifically doesn't seem like something that would fit (imo). It would be cute, but I can't recall ever visiting a museum with a bird exhibit, so I don't know...

The idea of aiming tools would be helpful, but I worry if it means extra clicks it might get frustrating. Thanks for your detailed write-up.

Since you took the time to make suggestions on how to improve Animal Crossing, I'm going to honor that passion with this post:
Basic Controls/Quality of Life Features

• Aiming reticle for tools
This is something that has frustrated me for a long time. To my eyes, I may be directly facing the area where I want to dig, or holding my net right in the path of a bug, or perfectly aligned with a fish’s line of sight, only to use the appropriate tool and completely miss the mark. Just adding a simple reticle for where your tool will land when you use it would make these common activities much less tedious. And if Nintendo insists on keeping tool durability, it would minimize the number of uses wasted on accidental misfires before the tool inevitably breaks.

These are just some of the things I came up while playing recently. Any of these ideas speak to you specifically? How would you improve on my ideas? Throw them out entirely? Do that comment thing that people do on message boards, because I’d love to hear your feedback. Like/comment/subscribe!​
I know it'd certainly make catching bugs (even the rare and nasty the ones) much less of a hassle if there were a marker leading the aim of your tool. I'd liken shooting balloons with a slingshot to a minigame if they implemented this sort of aiming system. As for tool durability... it just has to go. No one likes it, and it'd be really stupid for Nintendo to bring back this dumb gimmick in the next game.
  • Visual indicator for when fish bite
My primary strategy for catching fish is to close my eyes and listen for the sound of the bobber being bitten. Because looking at the fish while it nibbles away greatly increases the chances that I’m going to accidentally attempt to reel it in too early. But what if I’m in a situation where I need to turn the volume down? There is a slight visual indicator that shows when a fish has latched onto your line, but especially if you’re playing in handheld mode, it’s so slight, it’s easy to miss. I am perplexed at the noticeable absence of a more visible indicator to convey when a fish has bitten the lure, because Pocket Camp (a free to play mobile game released multiple years before New Horizons) already has one. In that game, when a fish has bitten the lure, an exclamation mark will appear above the player. This is a necessity for a mobile phone game, but as the Switch (and also the 3DS, but I digress) is also a portable system, it should really be afforded the same luxury.
Fishing in NL while out in public is a bit of an issue, because I have to gauge when the fish's gonna nab the bobber with my eyes and be lucky that shark-esque shadow doesn't swim away. It's something that seems obvious to add, especially since it was in a mobile game spin off.
Don’t like any of the features I’ve mentioned above? Then, just go to the options menu and turn them off. It should be that simple. But to the present day, Nintendo has been reluctant to give us any settings that allow players to customize how the game controls, or to give us any settings that might increase accessibility for disabled players.

Modern (circa 2002) conveniences such as music and sound channel sliders, the ability to toggle animal speech on and off, and many others would also be so greatly appreciated.
Weren't these options present in older games? I don't want to derail this topic into something different, but it's one of mankind's greatest mysteries why any developer would just have features which can be toggled on/off in one game, but can't in newer games.
This one is slightly contentious. I think Nintendo may not wish to implement this kind of feature out of fear of making terraforming on a personal level completely obsolete. However, I think this option would go a long way to making the process quicker and easier.
If it makes this process of obtaining a five-star island/town/what-have-you easier, then I'm fine if the developers decide to take this direction.
Island Features

• Exterior Soundscapes
Sound is a criminally under-explored element in the overall aesthetic of your island. Sure, you can install any number of record players, boom boxes, and other musical furniture in your home to play songs from K.K.’s expansive library. And the Happy Home Paradise DLC now allows players to choose from a variety of soundscapes to use on the inside of their home. But what’s stopping us from doing this outside, as well?

New Horizons allows players to place music players outside, which track player proximity and become quieter or louder based on how close they are to the speaker. And that’s a good step in the right direction. But if, for example, I wanted to make an island that was Halloween themed, the normal town tunes can really diminish the impact. One solution would be to have music players scattered all over the island, but that’s… highly impractical.

Allowing players to change the music would go a long way in establishing the theme or central identity of your island. Ideally, the music could be changed so one track plays constantly or players could choose from a playlist of songs to rotate hourly. In addition to the benefits of increased customization, I think allowing players to change the music would also lessen player fatigue at hearing the same pieces of music every time they boot up the game.

Of course, music isn’t the only thing that you should be allowed to change. Suppose you have an island that is rainforest themed. Having a “Sounds of the Jungle” style soundscape would really bring that idea to life. Or if your island is themed around an urban city, a number of soundscapes already in New Horizons could easily be repurposed in this fashion.

These features could be contextualized in-game as diegetic music and sound played over a loudspeaker in the town square.
Ditto on this, as well. To expand on the music library: there's no excuse why we shouldn't have live recording of K.K.'s music when villagers back in Animal Forest e+ rewarded you with those if they liked you well enough. I'd love to have some of my favorites K.K. songs used as soundscapes, sounding as if they were actually being performed by the guitar player himself on repeat.

Speaking of rainforest, maybe bring back the Raining tune from the original game? And it'd be a welcomed homage, I think.
Island Facilities

Birds. Yes, birds.

It seems like such an obvious next step that I begin to wonder why Nintendo hasn’t thought of it themselves. Players could catch birds, donate them to Blathers, and he will put them on display in a cozy aviary in the museum. (Should go without saying that this is something you should not be doing in real life)

Suppose if, instead of catching birds in nets, players could instead put bird feeders at various spots around the island, putting different types of feed into them to attract different types of birds. Then, once a bird has made itself at home in one, players could take the feeder, place it in their pockets (video game logic), and donate the bird to the museum. I think this could be an interesting and slightly more strategic—though much more passive—method of capture that would mechanically differentiate birds from bugs.

Some reading this now might be thinking that it would be weird for the game to allow us to catch birds when there is no shortage of villagers who also happen to be birds. To that end, I’d like to remind you of this unsettling implication.
I admit, I was confused by the prospect of cartoonish, anthropomorphic birds co-existing with realistic birds, but then I was reminded by this:
Also, there is a normal, non-villager bird that lands on the bulletin board in the town square, so I don’t think the existence of bird villagers makes this concept untenable. Also, I just like birds.
Sure, I don't mind. It'd be interesting to have Blathers — an owl, explain to us about the many different bird species, and what he thinks about them. Be a nice change of place from his entomophobia being a tired joke, as well as a meme at this point.
  • Able Sisters: Create Custom Patterns From Existing Clothing
I’m sure many people can relate to not being exceptionally talented at creating their own clothes. The barrier to entry for this sort of thing would probably be much lower if players could edit existing designs to learn how they are made and to add their own spin to them. There are a number of situations I can think of where I’ve seen a piece of clothing and thought “I’d like something in this shape, but maybe with a different pattern,” or “This piece of clothing needs just one little thing to make it truly special.”
I don't mind this, but I would love if this wasn't just limited to shirts, dresses, and umbrellas.

I've nothing to add for those last two talking points. I think it'd great if villagers' houses can be expanded, just like ours, and that they can live together.
Like/comment/subscribe!
"Subscribe"? Anyway, Nintendo should really listen to the fandom, sometimes. There actually are some neat ideas, here.

Last edited:
Weren't these options present in older games? I don't want to derail this topic into something different, but it's one of mankind's greatest mysteries why any developer would just have features which can be toggled on/off in one game, but can't in newer games.
Just gonna make this a little post but I think only the option to switch between animalese/some blips/silence for textboxes were in there. At least during Wild world I can’t remember any other options. I don’t think New Leaf had more options (and if it did, it was inconsistent since it didn’t give options for the megaphone [have to use the mic]). I think I heard it was in New Horizons if you press - on the title but I can’t remember from checking myself. Mario Kart still doesn’t have volume sliders for goodness’ sake, I don’t know why Nintendo haven’t made it a universal standard in their own games.

I wish we had a music player to play music from the old games too, even aside from changing music on the island, it could be a phone app (ingame ofc). Make it so the phone app just works for yourself/local play and music/ambience from the town hall also apply to your dream address/are the default for your town. If you just want to change it up sometimes then you wouldn’t have to run to town hall.

If Nintendo ever did do these for New Horizons(I know they won't) I'd pay real money for these.

Since the very beginning of the series, players have been collecting fish, bugs, and fossils to donate to the museum. While there have been some fleeting moments of innovation, such as the introduction of diving in New Leaf, the majority of the changes in this system have only amended the number of creatures you can collect, rather than the type of creatures and the method of obtaining them. This had me thinking: What other creatures could players reasonably be expected to obtain that would be in the same spirit as bugs and fish? As I was putting my Switch down to feed my own pet bird, it suddenly hit me.

Birds. Yes, birds.
no bc that's such an adorable idea !! i was thinking might get awkward due to the bird villagers, but then i remembered that u can catch & donate frogs & octopi, so,,,

personally i'd love a botany/greenhouse section in the museum ! i think it would be really cute to find plants like the glowing moss, hanging vines etc. & be able to donate them to the museum :0

• Aiming reticle for tools and Visual indicator for when fish:
    I don’t think I would like to be added. It just seems like the game would be so much easier with it. Too easy. I like that even though it’s a simple game, there are some challenges. This being one of them.

• Designer mode: I would love if they added something similar to the designer mode they set up in Happy Home Paradise.

• Exterior Soundscapes:
    I love this idea more than anything! I actually did try to put different stereos across my island, but I found them to be annoying. The music didn't cover the area too much. I had them hidden behind the trees and I think that blocks the sound from coming. I was only able to hear the music if I was standing right next to it.

• Museum aviary: This would be a very nice touch! I would love it if they added different bird species and let us capture them to place inside the museum. So far they have the yellow birds , the owl, and the blue birds in the Paradise island. An aviary just like the butterfly room in the museum would be nice.

• Able Sisters: Create Custom Patterns From Existing Clothing: I don’t particularly see myself creating clothing from previous patterns, but if they brought back the ability to customize furniture from clothing patterns, that would be great. I used the feature a lot in new leaf.

• Additional Rooms in Villager Homes:
    I liked that they kept it at one room, and would not change it. I really enjoyed customizing a small space for once, and found it way more enjoyable than customizing my character homes.

• Roommates: This would be a nice idea if they increased the number of residents that can stay in the island. If they keep it at just 10, I would not like the idea of roommates. Right now there is not a lot of building options and by removing the villager homes, I think the island would look too barren.

Aiming reticle for tools
I dont see this as needed
But for terraforming it would be helpful

Visual indicator for when fish bite
Dear God yes please
I hate how you basically need to fish with your eyes closed waiting to hear the sound.
Designer Mode For Landscaping/Waterscaping
I think this goes against the spirit of the game.
Things should not be quick and easy like that in animal crossing.
Your island design needs to be earned over a long period of time. Not done in 30 minutes.
Should not be a thing.

Roommates
Unsure on the living with you part, but with other villagers could be cool.

So many great ideas here! These ones especially:

Modern (circa 2002) conveniences such as music and sound channel sliders, the ability to toggle animal speech on and off, and many others would also be so greatly appreciated.​
I am baffled as to why this isn't already an option. I heard someone say once that some game designers want you to experience everything the game has to offer, which includes the music and sounds as they worked hard on it, but after someone has paid for the game, I can't help but feel as though that should be ultimately up to the player on what parts of the game they use.
This one is slightly contentious. I think Nintendo may not wish to implement this kind of feature out of fear of making terraforming on a personal level completely obsolete. However, I think this option would go a long way to making the process quicker and easier.
YES. A thousand times, YES. In every other game I've played like AC, after you've completed the general game and have completed a sufficient amount of extra tasks or quests, the ability is unlocked to make it easier and less tedious. This is the only game that refuses to do that. Just make sure you've completed a lot of Nook Mile achievements (specifically several of the harder ones) so that you've proven your love for the game, and then reward people with something like this. I would honestly spend a lot more time terraforming if I knew there was an easier way to do it. I've kinda 'settled' on what I have now as I don't have the time nor the patience to keep trying out new things, but in other building games, I frequently go back, demolish areas, and restart from scratch, all because I know it won't take me too long.
  • Exterior Soundscapes

These features could be contextualized in-game as diegetic music and sound played over a loudspeaker in the town square.​
This is also another thing I would have loved! I tried putting multiple stereos over the island, but you need to be literally on top of the speaker just to hear the song. I find the semi-hidden cicada I have is more vocal than the K.K. songs. The regular music is very tedious, and I would 100% like to have one of the K.K songs playing, or the ambiences playing across it. Again, this would have worked wonderfully as an end-game sort of reward.

I would 100% be down for all your highlighted villager features and the existence of a designer mode. I've been thinking I wish I could have a roommate villager for a while now and wish I could make my villagers move in with each other so I could have space for more plots on my island for a while now. I have mixed feelings about a few. Birds in the museum specifically doesn't seem like something that would fit (imo). It would be cute, but I can't recall ever visiting a museum with a bird exhibit, so I don't know...
A number of museums do have bird sections, though, including the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History. Granted, I don't know how many of these museums carry live specimens, but I don't think that's terribly important, considering the museum in Animal Crossing seems to defy logic in other areas. Additionally, the entire fish exhibit is more an "aquarium" than a "museum," and it's not entirely uncommon for science museums to be partner with preservation and rescue centers. So I don't think the museum in Animal Crossing needs to adhere to the strict definition of a museum, and I certainly don't think the museum possessing an aviary is asking you to suspend your disbelief too much.

The idea of aiming tools would be helpful, but I worry if it means extra clicks it might get frustrating.
I don't think it wouldn't require any extra input. It would just be a small icon on the screen that shows where your tool is currently aiming at any point in time. I might try making a mock-up image or something later to demonstrate what I mean.

I know it'd certainly make catching bugs (even the rare and nasty the ones) much less of a hassle if there were a marker leading the aim of your tool. I'd liken shooting balloons with a slingshot to a minigame if they implemented this sort of aiming system. As for tool durability... it just has to go. No one likes it, and it'd be really stupid for Nintendo to bring back this dumb gimmick in the next game.
With balloons, my biggest frustration is more so that the lighting system in New Horizons makes shooting them down feel very counterintuitive. In New Leaf, if you stood directly beneath the shadow of a balloon, you were guaranteed to hit it, which is kind of the point of a drop shadow: To indicate position. In New Horizons, it doesn't quite work that way, so it just seems to defy conventional game logic and makes shooting down balloons a bit of a chore.

Maybe an aiming reticle could be ideal for, say, being able to shoot down balloons when you're on higher elevation, so you don't need to be strictly under the balloon to pop it.

Some of the options I've mentioned were in previous installments, but none of the games have had terribly robust customization options for how the game controls or for any number of accessibility features that are now standard in most games.

I don't mind this, but I would love is this wasn't just limited to shirts, dresses, and umbrellas.
Well, it goes without saying that the more things you can use and edit custom designs for the better.

personally i'd love a botany/greenhouse section in the museum ! i think it would be really cute to find plants like the glowing moss, hanging vines etc. & be able to donate them to the museum :0
A botany section would also be something I'd be interested in seeing, for sure.

I think this goes against the spirit of the game.
Things should not be quick and easy like that in animal crossing.
Your island design needs to be earned over a long period of time. Not done in 30 minutes.
Should not be a thing.
Okay, but like... terraforming in itself doesn't take that long. The planning stages and getting all the furniture does (not to mention unlocking the ability in the first place), maybe. But the actual act of activating the app and using your shovel to dig trenches and create cliffs is fairly short and straightforward already. Take, for example, the fact that you already have this functionality in your house, but it's still going to take some time to get the design just right as you collect more furniture, increase room sizes, etc. Not to mention, you can still have things like residential services and public works projects, which will still put a bit of a hold on your progress.

• Aiming reticle for tools and Visual indicator for when fish:
    I don’t think I would like to be added. It just seems like the game would be so much easier with it. Too easy. I like that even though it’s a simple game, there are some challenges. This being one of them.
I'm not sure I follow your logic. These are basic controls, not challenges. When I'm digging up fossils or hitting rocks, I'm not thinking "Ah, yes, a challenge worthy of my skill and intellect." And when I miss, it's not because of a strategical blunder, but because the game's controls and visual conveyance are unreliable. The fact that some bugs and fish are harder to catch because they are faster or because they escape from your reel faster is a challenge. They are external factors that demand you change your approach (or at least be more persistent), and I don't think being able to see where your net or lure will land will take too much away from that.

• Roommates: This would be a nice idea if they increased the number of residents that can stay in the island. If they keep it at just 10, I would not like the idea of roommates. Right now there is not a lot of building options and by removing the villager homes, I think the island would look too barren.
That's something I was thinking of when I wrote this, but wasn't quite sure how I would solve it. Increasing the maximum number of villagers sounds like a reasonable solution, but the actual, physical real estate of land in the games can be quite limiting. Even if two villagers live in the same house, they might still be walking around outside, blocking your path, or being a hindrance on resources in other ways. The solution to this, I suppose, would be to increase both land mass and villager count, but that eventually presents the problem of, "When do we stop?" and "How much is too much?"

Alternatively, they could keep the limit at 10, but compensate for the fewer houses with more (optional) facilities. Bring back the police station, maybe, or incorporate the school, restaurant, clothing store, etc. from HHP into the main island.

Neither of these are perfect solutions, but I think they're worth keeping in mind.

A number of museums do have bird sections, though, including the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History. Granted, I don't know how many of these museums carry live specimens, but I don't think that's terribly important, considering the museum in Animal Crossing seems to defy logic in other areas. Additionally, the entire fish exhibit is more an "aquarium" than a "museum," and it's not entirely uncommon for science museums to be partner with preservation and rescue centers. So I don't think the museum in Animal Crossing needs to adhere to the strict definition of a museum, and I certainly don't think the museum possessing an aviary is asking you to suspend your disbelief too much.

I don't think it wouldn't require any extra input. It would just be a small icon on the screen that shows where your tool is currently aiming at any point in time. I might try making a mock-up image or something later to demonstrate what I mean.

With balloons, my biggest frustration is more so that the lighting system in New Horizons makes shooting them down feel very counterintuitive. In New Leaf, if you stood directly beneath the shadow of a balloon, you were guaranteed to hit it, which is kind of the point of a drop shadow: To indicate position. In New Horizons, it doesn't quite work that way, so it just seems to defy conventional game logic and makes shooting down balloons a bit of a chore.

Maybe an aiming reticle could be ideal for, say, being able to shoot down balloons when you're on higher elevation, so you don't need to be strictly under the balloon to pop it.

Some of the options I've mentioned were in previous installments, but none of the games have had terribly robust customization options for how the game controls or for any number of accessibility features that are now standard in most games.

Well, it goes without saying that the more things you can use and edit custom designs for the better.

A botany section would also be something I'd be interested in seeing, for sure.

Okay, but like... terraforming in itself doesn't take that long. The planning stages and getting all the furniture does (not to mention unlocking the ability in the first place), maybe. But the actual act of activating the app and using your shovel to dig trenches and create cliffs is fairly short and straightforward already. Take, for example, the fact that you already have this functionality in your house, but it's still going to take some time to get the design just right as you collect more furniture, increase room sizes, etc. Not to mention, you can still have things like residential services and public works projects, which will still put a bit of a hold on your progress.

I'm not sure I follow your logic. These are basic controls, not challenges. When I'm digging up fossils or hitting rocks, I'm not thinking "Ah, yes, a challenge worthy of my skill and intellect." And when I miss, it's not because of a strategical blunder, but because the game's controls and visual conveyance are unreliable. The fact that some bugs and fish are harder to catch because they are faster or because they escape from your reel faster is a challenge. They are external factors that demand you change your approach (or at least be more persistent), and I don't think being able to see where your net or lure will land will take too much away from that.

That's something I was thinking of when I wrote this, but wasn't quite sure how I would solve it. Increasing the maximum number of villagers sounds like a reasonable solution, but the actual, physical real estate of land in the games can be quite limiting. Even if two villagers live in the same house, they might still be walking around outside, blocking your path, or being a hindrance on resources in other ways. The solution to this, I suppose, would be to increase both land mass and villager count, but that eventually presents the problem of, "When do we stop?" and "How much is too much?"

Alternatively, they could keep the limit at 10, but compensate for the fewer houses with more (optional) facilities. Bring back the police station, maybe, or incorporate the school, restaurant, clothing store, etc. from HHP into the main island.

Neither of these are perfect solutions, but I think they're worth keeping in mind.
I think adding the aiming reticle the challenge would make it easier in a sense of the accomplishments. Like the cast master challenge for instance. If you could aim directly where you want to set the lure, this nook miles could be easily achieved. Right now as it stands, it’s quite a challenge, I really enjoy.

Another idea to implement the roomate concept would be to keep more villagers inside their homes during certain times. Or having one of the roommates stay inside while the other stays outside sometimes. That way we don’t have too many villagers walking around and overcrowding the island.

Back