• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

getting motion sickness while playing games

I only get it if I play games in my car. But also if I were to the read in the car, the same thing would happen, so it's not the games doing it to me.

I don't actually, I don't get motion sickness at all. Not in the car, not while playing games. Nope

I only get it if I play games in my car. But also if I were to the read in the car, the same thing would happen, so it's not the games doing it to me.

This is what mainly happens to me with games. Playing my 3DS or game app on my phone in the car I tend to feel lightheaded after awhile. Normally just playing on a console I'm used to all sorts of camera craziness so it doesn't bother me.

it depends for me. excessive screenshake is usually bad so i always have that disabled

that being said, this is a very specific case, but every time I go to fight Veritania in Redeemer's Eyrie, I get intense motion sickness walking up to the fight (Path of Exile, if anyone is curious what game I'm talking about lol)

irl I get motion sick easily, but I've never gotten motion sick while playing a game. I'm a bit surprised, although I have yet to try VR so maybe that will break me.
I get it, but only on certain games. First person perspective is most likely to do it, but it's not the only thing. The most recent video game motion sickness I felt was in Final Fantasy XV. Most of the game was fine, but there's this optional dungeon that has you do a lot of platforming and there's no enemies to fight. That dungeon has blocks that move around and all. But the worst part is there was this cylinder that was rolling around in mid-air that you had to jump on at a certain time. Watching that cylinder roll while my character was staying still on another platform, and then I kept messing up... I felt like I was going to throw up. :(
Ugh Pitioss...... I didn't get motion sick from it, but I did get sick from being stuck in that place for hours.
In-game time, Noctis was probably stuck in there alone for a week. Poor guy :p

Normally my motion sickness is triggered by unusual graphics rather than camera movement (Okami and Return of the Obra Dinn so far, though after the initial sickness I could play them just fine), but the camera in the underground sections of Dragon Quest Builders is utter hell.

Bumping this thread because I am now encountering the weirdest motion sickness I've ever had. I am getting motion sickness from Kingdom Hearts 1 (PS4 version). I never got sick from the original PS2 game. But now... Ugh. It's probably a combination of the game being 60fps now (original I think was 30fps) plus the camera being zoomed in so close to Sora and the camera changing angles so fast sometimes.

It literally takes hours for me to feel bad (I've played some for the past few days), so I'm going to keep playing. I just need to take breaks every now and then, and if I feel too bad, then I have to stop for the rest of the day. I've been reading online that some people end up getting used to 60fps (in general, not KH specifically) and no longer feel motion sickness over time. I'd like to get there. Video games is one of my major hobbies.

That being said, if I can never get used to it... Well, frankly I don't really have an issue staying with retro games or the new but 2D indie games. 2D doesn't make me feel sick ever. ;)

Some games trigger it.

I had to stop playing Endless Ocean on my Wii, because it made me sick. And I gave up on Must on the computer, for the same reason.

When I played on my 3ds, I usually kept the 3d slider off, unless it was a cut scene. Trying to play with it on was rough.

Just a few games have made me sick: Metropolismania on PS2, Viva Pinata on Xbox 360, and Final Fantasy Type-0 HD on PS4. Viva Pinata in particular I can only play in short bursts because something about moving the camera in that game makes me nauseous. FF Type-0 really messed with me too, but after about a week I guess my body got used to the excessive motion blur while moving the camera somehow. Which was lucky since I ended up really loving that game.

When I played on my 3ds, I usually kept the 3d slider off, unless it was a cut scene. Trying to play with it on was rough.

That didn't give me motion sickness, at least not the nausea, I feel like I'm going to throw up kind. It just gave me a headache. It didn't improve the look that much either IMO, so I always kept it off.

An update for Kingdom Hearts - I actually haven't gotten sick from it since I posted. I posted because I had gotten nausea motion sickness from it 3 days in a row and was getting frustrated. I wanted to rant. I did get a headache the next day, but no nausea. Yesterday I didn't get either. The only thing I'm doing different is forcing myself to take breaks more often than I normally might. Maybe it's a combination of that and getting used to things. Either way, I'm pretty happy about the improvement.

At least it's enjoyable enough to try to get used to it. The shaky-cam from The Blair Witch Project movie made me SO sick. Literally Blair Witch has given me the worst motion sickness I ever have had. It took me 3 days of watching the movie in sections to finish it, and each day I felt SO bad. I forced myself through it because people said it was good. It was meh. I regret forcing myself and I'm never watching that again.

Dear Esther is the first game that I experienced serious motion sickness issues >__<
None of the people I know, friends, family, co-workers have motion sickness, in-game or irl.
At least none of them even show or mentioned it...?
So Dear Esther has been sitting in my Steam library all these years, as part of a lovely untouched collection,
while I have to watch youtube vids to enjoy the story lol.

Also: Thanks for creating this thread, now I am relieved to know that many of us had the same issues to a certain degree.
It makes me feel a lot less discouraged. ^^

I'm playing the Pokemon sw/sh expansion DLC right now and whew, I feel like I've been tossed left and right and upside down on a roller-coaster ride :( That's to say, does anyone else get super dizzy and sick when playing games with changing camera perspective/3D?
YES omg my sister and I get motion sickness super easily, and both of us had such a hard time playing the DLC. It was better playing handheld than on the TV, but I still couldn't play for very long least I vomit lol.

I also unfortunately can't play any VR headset games because I get super super dizzy. Luckily I only play pokemon, animal crossing, and mario kart games, so I've been good so far (besides the SW/SH DLC). Actually I will say that I also can't visit AC islands with lag/frame dropping because that makes me sick after a while. Even just watching an island tour on my computer or on my phone with lag makes me dizzy.

I only get motion sickness in games which force you to play with motion blur on.
It's an awful setting and I despise having to play with it.

I suppose I do also get a bit of sickness if I use my VR for more than, say, 2 hours at a time.
But I really do not tend to get the VR out very often, so luckily that's not much of a problem.

I get motion sickness a lot when playing games, it’s frustrating because most of the time it stops me from actually playing. I’ve not been able to play last of us, botw, spyro because of it. Sometimes there are options on the camera settings to turn off excessive camera movement but I’m so sensitive even that doesn’t work lol. I also get car sick so think I’m a lost cause!

I actually get motion sickness from stop motion, and anything that's jittery-like. I can watch some if their smooth enough, but plasticine also creeps me out for some reason so anything with that is a no-go 😂

If I play a handheld game in the car, I do get motion sickness. But there are some games that I felt nauseous playing even at home and within maybe a half hour or less of playing it like Minecraft (was part of the reason i stopped playing in addition to being bad at the game). When I had an old tv, sometime after the original ffxii was released, that game and some of the tony hawk games made me nauseous As soon as I got a different tv, that stopped thankfully, but I had lost interest in XII until recent years.

Back