• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Pokémon Pokemon fan-made and rom hack games discussion thread

I’ve been working on a rom hack of Pokémon Crystal for a while now. It’s a difficulty increase hack that replaces the Johto Pokédex with Pokémon from all eight generations. Making front and back sprites for 251 Pokemon is quite tiring. At least programming with the Pokémon Crystal disassembly isn’t too difficult.

Woah-hoh! You’ll have to share it with us when you finish it (only if you want to though). Thanks for letting us know! :D

Update on playing Pokemon Uranium!

I made it all the way to Snowbank Town and then went back and grinded levels for my team. Once they were above level 50, I went back to Snowbank Town and took on the seventh gym. None of the five trials were especially difficult, and Vaeryn the gym leader was a pushover this time thanks to my team and Theo’s Nucleon. Seriously though, his Nucleon took out at least two if not three of Vaeryn’s Pokemon, LOL. Finished the battle and earned my seventh gym badge, and then I took on Theo in a rival battle with Wave finally being able to mega evolve! I beat that as well without anyone fainting. Now that Wave can mega evolve and knows Dive, I plan on heading to Tsukinami Village in the south next for the final gym badge. And after that, the Tandor Championship!

Rvl8CDu.png

You’ll notice some changes to my team, mainly I’m no longer using my Coatlith or Empirilla. They have been replaced by Deku the Garlikid and Tatsumi the Luxelong. Also, Wave can mega evolve now during battle into Mega Electruxo.

6EWf7mY.png

Another update on Pokemon Uranium!

I made it to Tsukinami Village and did the arduous task of completing the ninja reunion side quest. Then I talked to Fennel, and did everything else there, and then took on the eighth and final gym of the game. The trainers were pretty easy as long as I used super effective moves. They were basically exp fodder. The two leaders, Hinata and Kaito, were pretty easy too. I beat Hinata and then took on Kaito who proved to be more difficult, and managed to win with only Wave still standing, earning my final gym badge in the game.

Pn7kgoP.png

O01nG6l.png

ILcuAGA.png

Up next I’ll be taking care of the nuclear stuff in the game, and after that I’ll be heading down Victory Road to the Tandor Championship! :D

Well, it’s official! I beat Pokemon Uranium! Now that I think about it, I think I actually did beat it years ago, but now I know for sure I beat it. None of the battles were especially hard except for Cali at the Championship Site, and I totally cheesed Gamma Urayne to win and become the champion. And all in under 100 hours too! :D

GSn0cy3.png

WeRBe3u.png

wuM5p9y.png

U L T I M A T E C H E E S E 🧀

I don’t know when I’ll be playing another fan-made or rom hack Pokemon game, but when I do it will probably either be Pokemon XDNG or Pokemon Gaia. Until next time!

When you're looking around for a specific fakemon design, because it's so obvious that you're sure many other people must have come up with the same idea too... yet you find none :confused:

when-your-disappointment-is-visible.png

Also when you're searching pixel trainers sprites but nobody makes them anymore because 3D models are all the rage :cautious:

I’m bringing this thread back to talk about unbound because I’ve been playing it lately and it’s a blast

so Pokemon Unbound, like the last romhack I recommended (Gaia) is a FireRed romhack. technically, anyways. but it primarily utilises gen4 style graphics and a lot of gen5 style in how things are laid out. features multiple difficulty levels regarding battle difficulty (vanilla / easy, hard, difficult, and insane) and two different settings for puzzle difficulty (easy & challenging. these can be toggled at any time in the settings menu). it also features:
  • every single Pokémon from gens 1 to 7 in some way shape or form. there are so many Pokémon. help. (this includes alolan forms)
  • Gible, Larvitar, and Beldum as the starters
  • a mission / sidequest system, which offers some really good rewards for some of them like a perfect IVs foreign ditto for hatching 50 eggs
  • a really really long story. like, I only have 6 badges and my Pokémon are level 60 because there’s so much story and therefore extra battling mixed in between the gym challenges; it’s about the region that Kalos went to war with 3000 years ago, thus meaning a fan game has provided more Kalos lore than Kalos itself
  • a revised HM system where you can use HMs without actually teaching them to Pokémon so long as a Pokémon that can Learn the move is in the party. (also, like in ORAS you can fly to routes, not just towns.)
  • limited character customisation (you can choose hair & outfit colour & skin tone, and get multiple different outfits over the course of the game)
  • fun and challenging gym puzzles (ex. a stealth mission for the dark type gym, a 1v1 fight setup that bans super effective moves for the fighting type gym, inverse battles for the normal type gym...)
  • a battle frontier & challenge areas for different battle types
recently, it just hit version 2.0 which came with a complete graphical and audio overhaul — the sprites, character designs, soundtrack and maps are entirely different from how they were in footage I’ve seen of version 1 and it’s a really nice looking game. i’ve poured 45 hours into it so far it’s honestly a lot of fun an a good investment if you’re looking for a big Pokémon game to play!

Last edited:
Okay, so pretty much everyone recommends this person’s hacks, but Drayano’s Renegade Platinum is the Sinnoh remake we never got. The game is much more challenging, the first 493 Pokemon are all obtainable, and you get access to items like the bicycle right away. Every gym leader battle I win actually feels earned!

Back