• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

getting motion sickness while playing games

I already have dizziness problems when I'm not doing anything, so needless to say, I can't play any first person games for this reason.

My partner was playing a chill first person walking simulator indie and i got so motionsick watching him play 😰 first person is definitely not good for me 😔

This is something that (as weird as it sounds) I wish I could experience just so I know what it feels like.
Don't think I've ever had an issue with motion sickness in general, thankfully, because I can't imagine how awful playing Splatoon with motion controls would be!

I did get dizzy a lot if l turned on 3d on my 3ds when playing games, but it was so bad that l just never used it again. I went into settings and kept that 3D locked down so if l ever turned the switch on by mistake then the 3D will not appear. But l never got sick or anything that's so bad from staring at a screen besides getting dizzy and that was it.

This is something that (as weird as it sounds) I wish I could experience just so I know what it feels like.
Don't think I've ever had an issue with motion sickness in general, thankfully, because I can't imagine how awful playing Splatoon with motion controls would be!

It feels like dizzyness/nausea. If you spin around in a circle until you get dizzy, that's the sort of feeling, except it feels like it kind of crops up out of nowhere. A sudden migrane out of nowhere may or may not be included. Also, imagine the dizzy feeling takes a while to go away.

I don't wish it on anyone. It's annoying.

For me it feels like a HUGE headache that circles in your brain paired with that feeling when your stomach start to flip.

The gaming skills I'd have if I didn't have motion sickness 🙏
I physically can't play any first-person game for more than the max of 2 hours. I always get so dizzy and nauseous that I have to take a nap right after playing;; Also the headaches I get from generally playing any games for too long is exhausting,, I just want to play games 😔🤙

I’ve always struggled with motion sickness on transport but never games up until I played Pokémon. I was never interested in the franchise but decided to give it a go on the switch with Sword. It really does make me dizzy which is pretty darn annoying (although I found the game boring anyway but that’s another topic) For some reason the trees make it feel so much worse for me, it’s a combo of the colours, fast moving into new scenes and shifting around.

Why is my name mentioned so many times in this thread?! just kidding.

I get motion sickness easily in real life, but strangely it rarely ever happens to me when I’m playing games, even games with motion controls. The only time this happens is when it’s super bright in the room and I can’t see the screen properly (like if I‘m at a cafe or outside)... or if I’m sitting somewhere playing handheld with no proper back support. For this reason I mainly play my switch a home and try not to take it out much since there’s a higher chance I’ll get motion sickness playing outside the comfort of my home lol.

The only game that makes me feel sick is Minecraft, and I'm not entirely sure why. It's a lot worse in 1st person, which makes sense, but it happens in 3rd person as well - just more slowly. I don't really care, since I don't play Minecraft much these days anyway, it's just bizarre. The only other thing that makes me motion sick is spinning rides at amusement parks. I can do stuff like motion simulators just fine.

I've personally never had an issue with motion sickness while playing games. the only person I know who has is my mom, but she has vertigo so for her it makes sense.

I think sometimes odd camera effects can cause people to have motion sickness. another instance I can think of is when the original Spyro game on the PlayStation was released in Japan, they actually changed the way the camera moves and functions since so many people in Japan were getting motion sickness from it. it's weird and interesting.

I'm fortunate that I've never gotten motion sickness, not when playing video games nor during any other activity.

This, 100% yes. It’s really random what games it happens for me on as well, it first started with Sims 3 for the wii, I could only play for about 15 mins and I’d get a terrible migraine which wouldn’t go for at least an hour or more. I then started with them on Fallout 3, Portal 2 and Bioshock Infinate (this one I was seriously gutted about, I’d wanted to play it for ages, played about 20 mins, and got a migraine). But other games, where it’s more ‘realistic’ like GTA V, RDR, Fallout 76 (occasionally I can feel a little funny though), I’m totally fine with. It seems partly for me when games are in 1st person, and you can’t change it.

I've always been sensitive to motion sickness. The first video game that made me wanna hurl was Doom on the SNES (no, I can stomach the violence). It's usually first person games that make me sick like the Metroid Prime games, Goldeneye 007 and Minecraft but I can also have a hard time playing some third person games. Star Fox Adventures on the Gamecube of all games was pretty much unplayable other than in short bursts. I have no idea why that game affected me so badly. Latest game to give me motion sickness was Super Mario Galaxy on the 3D-collection.

I absolutely get motion sickness when I watch my bf play Gran Turismo. Some of the turns and the ups and downs make me queasy even just remembering them! I tend to get carsick in real life if I'm not in the front of the car, so I'm not super suprised that some video games do this to me.

I have motion sickness issues with a lot of first-person games. I'm not sure what fraction of those games cause issues for me, as I usually avoid them now, but I've never been able to get into FPS games, and I don't care for first-person modes in games that give you the option. It's a shame to cut out whole swaths of games that a lot of people love, but I have plenty left to play that I enjoy, so it doesn't cause too many issues.

Cameras can be bad in general, but I'm usually ok so long as I'm in control of the camera, once I've gotten used to it. It can be a little rough when games start off, though. I find that depending on the game, the size of the screen, where I'm sitting, what sort of control setup I'm using, how tired I am, etc., also makes a difference.

Recently, I had some issues with Super Mario Galaxy in the 3D All-Stars collection in handheld mode. I haven't tried it in docked mode yet, but I never had issues with it when I played the original game on Wii (100%ed it on Wii, which I rarely do with my games, so I obviously wasn't in a hurry to move on from it), so I'm wondering if it's something about playing it in handheld mode on a smaller screen that's close to my face.

I've never tried VR, partially because I've been suspicious that I'll suffer from VR motion sickness. I do tend to have a lot of motion sickness issues in real life that I've never outgrown (I get motion sick on most forms of transit, and have ever since I was a kid; I also can't read, play games, or do much of anything besides stare straight out the windshield of a car if I'm a passenger). It always throws me when people can get lots of work done or game time in while traveling, as I really can't do anything besides listen to music or audiobooks, talk to my travel companions, attempt to sleep (usually unsuccessfully), or stare into space.

This has happened to me before, and it’s such a bummer. I have a hard time playing games while in the car because they make me nauseous and I have a hard time playing games on the TV because it makes me nauseous too. :(

On the Switch the only game so far that’s made me nauseous while in handheld mode is Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles. I cannot play that game no matter how many times I’ve tried (and I’ve tried a fair bit lol) it just makes me feel so sick. I find it’s worse when it’s nighttime in the game!

Recently l got a little dizzy from playing Age of Calamity the first time. I played 4 Dynasty Warriors type of games like this one but l never got dizzy until l played this spinoff game. Camera is too fast.

it's been super validating and interesting hearing about everyone's experiences! thank you all for sharing. :)

I’ve never experienced motion sickness before, but my double vision does get worse after playing handheld games for a while. The combination of bright lights, closeness, and rapid movement just makes my eyes want to drift apart. Reading books does the same thing, so I usually read with only one eye open.

Back