• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

getting motion sickness while playing games

amemome

home garden time
Bells
Blue Hybrid Hyacinth
Blue Hybrid Hyacinth
Blue Hybrid Hyacinth
Blue Hybrid Hyacinth
Blue Hybrid Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
Golden Watering Can
White Hyacinth
I'm playing the Pokemon sw/sh expansion DLC right now and whew, I feel like I've been tossed left and right and upside down on a roller-coaster ride :( That's to say, does anyone else get super dizzy and sick when playing games with changing camera perspective/3D?

Omg YES. I get motion sick mostly in first person shooters games. I can’t play Pokémon (or any game) in 3D on my 3DS. I also got really sick from playing fire emblem three houses so I gave my game away :(

I get it, but only on certain games. First person perspective is most likely to do it, but it's not the only thing. The most recent video game motion sickness I felt was in Final Fantasy XV. Most of the game was fine, but there's this optional dungeon that has you do a lot of platforming and there's no enemies to fight. That dungeon has blocks that move around and all. But the worst part is there was this cylinder that was rolling around in mid-air that you had to jump on at a certain time. Watching that cylinder roll while my character was staying still on another platform, and then I kept messing up... I felt like I was going to throw up. :(

I think it depends on the framerate / graphics of the game. I get more motion sick when the console has to process more intense graphics since moving the camera makes the screen slow down ever so slightly :(

I cant play first person shooters because of my motion sickness. I have to take a bunch of benadryl just to watch movies shot with some shaky cam. I can't watch full shaky cam at all no matter how much I take...lol.

I experience this as well. I change the camera settings on most games I play to minimise it.

I get it, but only on certain games. First person perspective is most likely to do it, but it's not the only thing. The most recent video game motion sickness I felt was in Final Fantasy XV. Most of the game was fine, but there's this optional dungeon that has you do a lot of platforming and there's no enemies to fight. That dungeon has blocks that move around and all. But the worst part is there was this cylinder that was rolling around in mid-air that you had to jump on at a certain time. Watching that cylinder roll while my character was staying still on another platform, and then I kept messing up... I felt like I was going to throw up. :(

I know the dungeon you're talking about. Took me a good three or four hours to do it because I had to take several breaks. 😅

happens to me only on certain games. it’s happened so far with both titles of the last of us, a couple of the nathan drake games, and others. i really hate it because it impedes the gaming experience™ and i have to take periodic breaks otherwise i’m full on about to throw up 😰

Nope. Not in real life in the car, not on roller coasters, and not in games either. Even VR has never done it for me... I feel blessed. It would suck to have to take breaks just because the brain cannot deal with what you want to do.

I usually get it with low or inconsistent framerate or motion blur...I dont even know why motion blur is still a thing, it's awful.

The only other time I had it was playing Splatoon 2 in a car. Gyro aim was on and the camera was moving as the car moved instead of when my hands did (well, alongside when my hands did). I've since learned to turn off gyro if I'm not sat stationary.

Same! I can't play certain games for over 10 minutes without wanting to throw up. Long car rides are the worst for me as well. I wonder if I actually have motion sickness..?

The only time I get motion sickness is whenever I’m playing in a car or bus. The constant shakiness while I’m playing makes me nauseous. In the games themselves, I rarely get motion sickness.

I get motion sickness with nearly any game I play aside from Animal Crossing... at first, that is. I've become desensitized to some over time, like FFXIV. It's the main reason why I don't play as many games as I'd like to.

ME I get terrible motion sickness playing 3d games!!! I cannot play minecraft without getting a headache, the only thing that cures it is taking a fat nap... The only game I've gotten used to is overwatch and I made myself get over motion sickness from playing it because I begged my dad to get the game for me and I'd feel so bad not playing it LOL hardly play it anymore but I had lots of hours on that game. I try not to buy or play games if I feel like I know I'd get motion sick from them, which sadly limits what I can play with friends sometimes

Almost all the time, I couldn't play Fallout without taking breaks in between because of it

Never from normal games.

Virtual reality can hit me pretty hard sometimes...but, even that takes a considerable amount. Only time I've really felt sick (even in VR), has been with games that simulate driving, or flying. I can usually manage those for about 30 minutes, but then I get the sweats and bad vertigo, and need to stop immediately. I've definitely bailed in the middle of games a few times while playing PSVR.

Gran Turismo for PSVR feels like you're driving a real car...and I don't drive in real life. So...lol.

Last edited:
I’ve only experienced gaming-related motion sickness two specific ways - playing games with the 3D on with my 3DS, and watching other people play blocky, janky-camera 1st-person games. Super Mario 3D Land was especially rough with all of the moving pieces.

Edit: Totally forgot about VR since I haven’t played much of it. I played Fruit Ninja in VR at Pax West a few years ago and felt horrible afterwards.

I only ever get motion sick while playing games in the car (I've got a sensitive tum) and I've heard chewing gum helps with that. Not sure if it will in this situation, but you could try it?

Back