• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do You Keep Any Pets?

Halloqueen

is manifesting hybrid roses
Bells
White Rose
White Rose
Red Rose
Yellow Rose
Red Rose
White Rose
White Rose
White Rose
Red Rose
Yellow Rose
There are a few options for "pets" in the game.

The most obvious options are the various insects, fish, and deep sea creatures you can catch around your island.

There are also a few furniture items that can either give you a pet, or at least the illusion of such. There's a birdcage with a little bird inside, there's the puppy plushy that moves its legs and barks when you interact with it, there's a doghouse that has eyes that appear inside when you interact with it, there's a cat tower and a kitty litter box, there's a bunny garden decoration that can be customized with a few lifelike variations, and there's also a pet bed and pet food bowl. There are some other options out there too.

Me, I don't really like how the fish tanks look so cramped, so I don't really keep those. I do have a character with a pet frog though since a friend of mine has some pet toads and warmed me up to the idea, and another of my characters has a birdcage. I've kept some bugs in this game at points but none currently; in New Leaf, though, my main town's mayor kept a Mantis and an Orchid Mantis and I had a different character with the various cicadas in the main room because I like their sounds.

How about you? Any pets or references to such?

Last edited:
I don’t keep any pets. I’d like if you could have a pet dog, like in Harvest Moon, but I understand why that isn’t a thing. Meanwhile, there are catchable frogs while we have frog villagers, but idk. I personally don’t see a need to keep any pets since you can’t interact with them. It’s worth mentioning that I did use the Mom’s Plush as a “dog.” I had one in my house and used my imagination… but imagination only goes so far.

I have a little clownfish. I caught him on my first day on my island, so he’s always going to be there :)

I’d rather have a goldfish, but I don’t really like the look of their tanks

I give my villagers creatures that I catch as pets for them, but the main "pet" I have is a hamster cage with a hamster in it. I'm amused by how I can have a pet hamster while also having hamster villagers.

I have Mom's Plushie, but that's mostly because I like having everything that I get from Mom displayed in my house. I didn't realize that it could move.

I also have the cat tower and the pet bed in my house, but there's no cat to go with them. :cry: It's amusing when my visitors sit in the pet bed though. :LOL:

My villager has a ranchu goldfish. I think about setting it free though, because it just lives in a little bowl.

Also, can pets go missing? I remember Jacksepticeye’s villager Toss Boy having a squid, Shari told him she was “trying new foods”, and then he returned to find the squid gone. Obviously, he blamed Shari for stealing and eating “the stinky inky” but…can this happen? I’d hate for this to happen to my goldfish lol.

I prefer using the furniture items that simulate having a pet (my favorites are the hamster cage & puppy plush). I'd much rather see fish/bugs in the museum, so I don't use them in my home.

I love the cat tower item too even though there's no cat. I can pretend!

I have the kitty tower/litter box (and also the pet bed and bowls) and a paper tiger in my ACNH house! c: For those looking for cat options, the paper tiger is about the right size for a domestic cat, and you can pretend it's a ginger tabby!
I also have a bird that lives in the bathroom, but it's more there for the colors/bird noises than anything. ^^; Sorry, bird!

I don't keep any of the caught critters as pets right now, but the frog would be the most tempting for me.

Yes!

Screenshot 2023-11-13 at 15.09.29.png

tumblr_f476c30f42dfc0fa61eaaf703cad37fc_ac6e64cf_1280.jpeg

Screenshot 2023-11-13 at 15.11.26.png

Screenshot 2023-11-13 at 15.11.40.png

I have used some of the fish and also the turtle. I love using the puppy items. Wish we had a cat though. I use custom designs on the pet bed for them.

Not really. In one game I just kept one of the fishes out because i was trying to get enough to make a recipe. I think it was the sardine and I needed more for the anchovy recipe.

Of course I have a pet 🥰 sadly no option for a cat which is just not right. I have a sweet little puppy called biscuit 😍

IMG_2191.jpeg

I used to keep an old Coelacanth in my main room, right in the center. This was back when I was proud to show off such a thing. As the years went by, I caught a whole lot more, and did some redecorating as well. Needless to say, I had to sell it off to CJ as it was taking up space.

If I'm not mistaken, the goldfish has an actual round fishbowl design when you place it down as furniture. That's much cooler (and realistic when the fish is used as a pet) than the square tank most of the other fish get, which is sort of boring.

Also, there is a doghouse with a moving toy dog outside on my island, representing either Mallary or Dotty's pet (it's in the 1x1 space right between their houses and fenced in). Who's the actual owner? You be the judge.

I've got a few scattered around the island, belonging to various villagers.

One of my own villagers has a bird, one of them has a tarantula and a dog, Phoebe has an indoor cat (via designs), Audie has a vampire squid, and Claude has a horseshoe crab that has his own doghouse. Also, Cherry has a fish in her room, but I can't remember which one. It's the only thing that survived when I redid her house - it looks a bit out of place, but it stays there anyway.

I have a turtle by a waterfall that goes into a river.
Other than that, sometimes I put out the toy dogs (from Christmas) out for each dog in my family.
I really haven't set up my house yet after all these years, but no pets inside.

Back