• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What are your favorite real life rodent pets?

What are your favorite real life rodent pets?

• Guinea pigs

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Hamsters

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • Rats

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Chinchillas

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Gerbils

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mice

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Other (tell us!)

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • I hope someday to have one!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The short life spans of rats is why I have decided to never have any more. I am sure it's similar for other pet rodents. You love them and it is so sad when they go 😞

However, all of the rats I have had will always hold a place in my heart.

These were the last rats I had. Leela and Nibbler.

1000003487.jpg

Leela was always very photogenic!

1000003488.jpg

1000003484.jpg

Guinea pigs are pretty cute. I once had a hamster when I was a child. In general though, I don't think I would keep any rodents as pets. They are too smelly in my opinion.

I had two guinea pigs, and I think they're my favorites in terms of rodents one might keep as pets (I also love capybaras), due to their unique facial structure, long life expectancy, and sturdiness. I wouldn't get any more rodents, though, since I feel like I need to have something to hold on to in a pet, in a sense.
20170331_160820.jpg

They’re all cute, so I’m not sure if I could pick a favorite.

I had a guinea pig as a kid named Tulip and she wasn’t properly sexed so they put her in with the males and she was pregnant when we got her! She gave birth to three baby boys, Violet (red), Velvet (black), and Sunflower (black/white/tan). I named all of them except velvet, which my mom asked to name because of how velvety soft he was. Sadly we had to give the babies up for adoption because we didn’t have the space for them to grow up. But it was a fun time! ❤️

Sorry, you can only see Sunflower’s face…they weren’t exactly the most still XD
June2009 060.jpeg
P1010045.jpeg
P1010044.jpeg

I don't think I would keep any rodents as pets. They are too smelly in my opinion.

This is only true if you don't take care of them properly. Regular cage cleaning, as well as letting them run free outside of their cage from early on (depending on the critter, and in a controlled area).

Cats and dogs smell too if you don't take care of them or train them when it is appropriate to do their business.

Rats for example will choose a section of their cage for their doody area. If you don't clean it, then they don't smell, their cage does. No different than a cats litter box.

And yes I realize I just used the word "doody". I am trying really hard to be family friendly here!

I agree! Proper care and attention make all the difference with rodent pets. They can be such delightful companions when given the right environment.

I had a hamster as a kid, they’re so freaking cute I love them 💗 I wouldn’t get one now though, they make me too sad with their short lifespans. They should live for like 40 years. :c I also think chinchillas are super adorable but I probably wouldn’t ever keep one.

Hamsters are my favorite! They’re round and fluffy and cute! And one of my online friends likes hamsters too.

Speaking of hamsters, the Syrian kind is so me! They are independent and if you put two of them together they will fight. ...Okay, fighting people isn't my thing, but the point is that I like to be alone kinda like the Syrian hamster IRL.

Campbell's dwarf hamsters also come to mind, mainly because my friend tends to call them "blueberry hamsters". They don't look blue to me, so I never really got it. I like 'em though.
6841615560_b6d640a47f_b.jpg

I’ve only had cats, dogs and rabbits as pets so no real experience with any of these but one of my friends used to have guinea pigs which were pretty sweet, though I don’t think they have a very big lifespan - not sure how they compare to all the others but losing a pet is so hard that I’d struggle thinking it might only have about 5 years.

I voted for chinchillas, they just seem like little chunky balls of fur and I like their big ears - though I couldn’t have one with my other pets as they’re quite shy and would likely be scared by my cats and dogs. They also seem to have quite a good lifespan and seem pretty friendly, as long as they’re looked after well and are used to the people around them.

I think they’re all so adorable :D. My vote goes to chinchillas. i never had any of these but I have seen a chinchilla at a small pet store and they are so adorable 🥺.

• Water
Reactions: Doo
My family used to have a lot of hamsters and guinea pigs. They're both cute. However, personally I grew most attached to guinea pigs for some reason.

Well, I can probably list a few reasons actually. lol

1. Baby guinea pigs are born with their fur, so a baby guinea pig just looks like a tiny adult guinea pig and the cuteness is too much to bear! lol
2. I love the noises they make!
3. I love the way they hop around and move in general.

We haven't had any pets that aren't dogs in years, though. I don't know if or when I'll have another guinea pig or hamster. I do like them a lot, but cleaning their cages is a mess, and their lifespans are short. =(

Oh, also bunnies! I've never had one. However, we have wild ones in our yard and they are adorable!

Back