• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Bright Beginnings

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyDestani

🌷Happy Little Leif🌷
Staff
Bells
Pink Hybrid Tulip
Purple Hybrid Rose
Golden Watering Can
White Rose
White Rose
White Tulip
White Tulip
White Rose
White Tulip
Red Tulip
1707487607526.png

In colors of crimson and gold,
ah, what a fair sight to behold.
The lanterns shining bright
drive away the dark of night,
bringing luck to both young and old.

🏮Task🏮

Construct a paper lantern themed around Lunar New Year or the Year of the Dragon.

Take a photo of your completed lantern along with a name card for proof and submit by posting it in this thread no later than Saturday, February 24, 2024, at 11:59 PM EST.

🏮Instructions🏮

Below are steps to create a simple paper lantern.
Note: You are not required to follow these instructions. This is a starting point for those who want help. Feel free to get creative as long as your submission can be clearly identified as a lantern and meets the requirements listed in the Rules section.
  1. Take a sheet of colored construction paper (or any other paper you wish to use).
  2. Using a ruler, draw a horizontal line roughly 1 inch from the top of the paper. This will be your "Do Not Cut" line.
  3. Fold the sheet of paper in half with the line you drew still visible at the top.
  4. Using a ruler, draw evenly-spaced vertical lines from the "Do Not Cut" line to the folded edge.
  5. Cut along the vertical lines, making sure to stop when you reach the "Do Not Cut" line. This leaves you with an uncut strip at the top and bottom of the lantern when you finish.
  6. Unfold the paper. You can flip it over and crease the edges in the opposite direction if you want to hide your lines.
  7. Roll the paper into a cylinder and attach the edges using tape, glue, staples, etc. This will cause the creased part in the middle to flare out.
  8. A handle can be added by cutting another strip of paper and attaching the ends to the top of the lantern.
  9. Decorate your lantern. You may use typical crafting materials such as markers, paint, glitter, washi tape, etc.
Link to post with visual steps: Here

Based on above instructions
1707508522332.png

Photo courtesy of Marin Mommies

🏮Rules🏮

• The main structure of your lantern must be constructed from paper only. No wire, wood, or metal should be used as support.
  • Typical crafting materials are allowed to decorate your lantern. Examples include but are not limited to: markers, paint, glitter, washi tape, etc. If you are unsure whether something you want to use would be acceptable, please ask!
  • Your lantern is not required to have a handle. It can be a tabletop lantern.
  • Your lantern is not required to be lit. If you choose to do so, please note that this will not be factored in during the voting for staff favorites.
    • For safety reasons, be sure that you are not placing any open flames near your paper lantern.
  • A physical name card featuring your TBT username must be clearly visible in your photo.

🏮Rewards🏮

Participation:
  • 1 Dragon Token
Staff Favorite Award:
  • 365.gif
    Animated Shooting Star collectible

🏮FAQs🏮

May I submit a drawing of a lantern?

No, this is a crafting event. A physical paper lantern is required.

Would it be fine to go off of a different paper lantern tutorial (from Youtube)?
Yes, you can use any type of lantern design that you want as long as it meets the requirements.

Are we allowed to make a string of 3-5 individual paper lanterns as an entry?
To keep things fair, we will only be judging one lantern. Your photo may include more, but we'd ask that you make one the focal point. If it's not obvious which lantern you'd like us to judge, I'll ask for clarification.

Wishing you health, happiness, and prosperity throughout the year!

Hello! I am a little confused on WHAT the lantern is supposed to look like as a base.

Would it be possible to show an example? As it is, I am confused

@LadyDestani did you compose that opening poem? It's so lovely!
I did! I came up with it pretty quickly, but I'm glad you like it! 🥰
Hello! I am a little confused on WHAT the lantern is supposed to look like as a base.

Would it be possible to show an example? As it is, I am confused
Yes! There are a variety of different shapes and styles of paper lanterns, but here's an example of what one would look like if you followed the instructions in the OP.

1707506146654.png

I'm usually not the greatest at paper crafts but I'm happy with how this one turned out! ^^ Only took me three prototype lanterns to figure it out

Bright Beginnings.jpg

Materials used:
-2 pieces of patterned construction paper
-1 piece of gold foil paper
-Metallic gold paint (for the dots)
-Glue
-Tape​

Would it be fine to go off of a different paper lantern tutorial (from Youtube)? The one I have in mind is also all paper - no wire or wood or anything like that.

Would it be fine to go off of a different paper lantern tutorial (from Youtube)? The one I have in mind is also all paper - no wire or wood or anything like that.
Yes, that is absolutely fine! You can use any type of lantern design that you want as long as it meets the requirements.

I have two questions!

1. Are we allowed to use glue or hot glue to decorate the paper lantern?

2. Are we allowed to make a string of 3-5 individual paper lanterns as an entry?

Thank you!

I'm an idiot. can I have these crafting instructions in a visual image(s) form?
You're not an idiot. ☺️

I'll see what I can do, but I won't be able to add anything until later tonight.

I have two questions!

1. Are we allowed to use glue or hot glue to decorate the paper lantern?

2. Are we allowed to make a string of 3-5 individual paper lanterns as an entry?

Thank you!
1. Yes, you may use glue or hot glue.

2. To keep things fair, we will only be judging one lantern. Your photo may include more, but we'd ask that you make one the focal point. If it's not obvious which lantern you'd like us to judge, I'll ask for clarification.

No you're not! I'm not sure if this is the particular design your looking for, but i believe its the one in the example. Hope this helps :)
I'm an idiot. can I have these crafting instructions in a visual image(s) form?
faerie nailed it with the diagram they posted, but since I went through the process of creating a junk lantern to take photos of the steps I'll add those too.

Please ignore how bad mine is. I just used printer paper and did it very quickly since I'm not competing.
Materials: I forgot to pull out tape at first, but I used that too. I cut the top strip off the paper for the handle.
20240210_182048.jpg

Fold the paper in half and draw the "Do Not Cut" line.
20240210_182321.jpg

Cut strips from the folded edge to the line.
20240210_182539.jpg

Unfold paper. This is where you can flip it and re-crease to hide the line(s) on the inside.
20240210_182638.jpg

Roll into a cylinder. I used tape to keep it together.
20240210_182811.jpg

Do the same with the other end.
20240210_182831.jpg

Attach handle to one end. I taped it to the inside.
20240210_183007.jpg

Complete!
20240210_183041.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back