• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Bright Beginnings

Status
Not open for further replies.
uJMryi9.jpeg

Here's my stuffing/tissue paper Chinese Lotus Flower Lantern! 🪷🏮This was such a fun after work relaxing craft-- love this event idea!

Aei24Jp.png

VRsAFAN.jpeg

gCJLqc4.jpeg

Materials used: Construction paper, card stock, brass brads, paper straws, colored pencil, glue stick, hot glue, tape, and a small set of string lights. I was inspired by these dragon shaped paper lanterns I found on google, and wanted to put an Animal Crossing twist on it.
Drago really is the perfect representative for this event, so I chose to make my lantern in his likeness!
ZKHy63o.jpeg

Drew up a template for his head and traced over it onto construction paper/card stock. Then I cut out the shapes and assembled him.
NGAvWCN.jpeg
EDd1u7f.jpeg

I cut this wall border to shape for the gold accents
QxV7ZdD.jpg

gGC8AHR.jpg
HH2KdOb.jpg

ldhQcm2.jpg

I hot glued some paper straws inside to hold the tail and help Drago keep his shape, and of course one full straw is glued into the center piece to hold him by.

Here's my paper lantern. I drew a branch of a cherry blossom in colored pencils to give it a floral design 🌸 It was really fun working on colored paper since I used the white colored pencil to my advantage.

Submission for Bright Beginnings.jpg

I used construction paper, colored pencils, masking tape, glue, and scissors.
Cherry Blossoms in Colored Pencil.jpg

Here's my lantern entry. I love the designs of the paper lanterns so I decided to make my entry for it! 🏮
IMG_20240220_104320.jpg

IMG_20240220_104356.jpg

(Here's what the red flower looks like.)

Materials used:
  • Red construction paper
  • Yellow construction paper (for gold base)
  • Green construction paper
  • Gold paper
  • Yellow Japanese paper
  • Red Japanese paper
  • Pink Japanese paper
The string is only use to hold the lantern and the name card.

Now, for the additional commentary.

Honestly, I have the most fun on making the flower decoration portions of the lantern especially when it holds together. I really like the round lantern style so I made one especially the gold details in the lantern. The flowers are basically what I'm proud of the most.

The most "trial and error" part is trying to take a picture with it, since it can swing around at times. But in the end, I managed to take a picture of it.

I based my lantern on the ingame st martens lanterns, since I grew up with those :) but i gave it a Japanese lunar new year twist!
20240222_150741.jpg

The red one is the one I'm submitting, the rest was just for fun!
I used paper, paint and glue.

20240222_150904.jpg
20240222_150813.jpg
20240222_150826.jpg
20240222_150849.jpg

Beautiful entries so far!🏮

Just a quick reminder that the deadline for this event is approaching soon!

You have until Saturday, February 24, at 11:59 PM EST if you're planning on participating.

All entries up to this point have been accepted. If I missed your entry somehow, please let me know. 🐉

Here is my LUNAR lantern! For 3 days, I painstakingly drew each strip before I used my exacto knife to do my cuts. lol!😂

free image hosting

And Eevee wanted to say hello!
Yay! Hi Eevee! 💕

For the record, I cannot be bribed by cute animals. Off the record, I will accept cuddles and doggie kisses.🤫

Just kidding, of course!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back