• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Are you a video game collector?

What kind of game collector are you?

• Im a hardcore collector! With masses of sealed games

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Im a scalper

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Im a casual gamer, I buy games as and when

Votes: 116 79.5%
  • I'm like Matt. I buy games to play but they remain new and sealed if I end up not playing them

Votes: 29 19.9%

• Total voters
I have so many games for the Switch. Most of them digital but still a lot of games. Physically I have twelve games but three are second copies of Nintendo Labo kits that I bought so that I would have extra parts in case I break something or mess up trying to decorate the Toy Cons. The VR set is the only one I don’t have a second copy of. I also a messed a lot of Amiibos and expansion sets for Lego Dimensions and ships and figures for Starlink Battle for Atlas.

I used to have a ton of games and all in very good shape.. but nowadays I have so little time that I ended up selling a lot of them, but the one I will forever regret selling (for quite some money at least) is Kirbys Air Ride for GameCube 😭

I would say I'm a collector, but none of the poll options apply to me. I just like to get games, and i won't sell games I've collected over time. I'm particularly proud of the N64 Doubutsu no Mori copy I got in Japan!

I would say I'm a collector, but I'm not so hardcore that I'd go out of my way to drop loads of money on games I don't have interest in just because they're "rare", and even go so far as to not even open/play them 😅

I only go for games that I'm interested in owning, and I do intend on playing them so already opened is fine by me so long as it's complete (game/case/manual) and it's in very good condition
The only time I'd go for a rare game that I've never heard of or previously had any interest in owning is if it was going for a crazy good deal 🤣

I have a pretty decent collection of physical games, but I wouldn't consider myself to be a collector. I just tend to prefer physical copies of games over digital.

No that would be really weird! I thought when I saw the thread you meant you keep the games you buy but this is just crazy lol.

I only buy or rent games when i wanna play them and then I'm completely done with them. I don't usually replay games unless theyre crazy good!

i collect many video games, but my largest collection must be my 3DS/DS collection. i will pick up sealed games sometimes, but im not the kind to spend too much extra just for a sealed copy of a game.

unless its a certain game series...

Since becoming an adult, I've made a habit of keeping the games I buy in excellent condition, either because I might want to display them, or if I end up not liking them and want to sell. However, I've never been a fan of keeping anything in sealed condition, because it defeats the point of the item. I can understand the desire to keep something precious pristine, but unfortunately, time will always degrade things eventually. It just seems needlessly materialistic, so it's not for me.

I only buy games I'm interested in, although I have been known to keep particular games of a beloved series, even if I don't like that game, just for collection purposes.

I used to be, to some degree. I used to pick up several games at car boot sales before videogame collecting became the norm. Along the way, there were several new games I ended up not playing as well, so I kept them sealed.

I do plan on eventually selling off my old collection, keeping only the games that I really enjoy playing. Nowadays, I only pick up (physical) games that I think I'll enjoy. That number seems to go down every year, and I have a sneaking suspicion the decrease in physical games is why, unfortunately.

I mean, not intentionally. I’ve also been renting games from the library, to see what they’re like. It’s a good way to see if a game’s worth it or not.

Back