• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Are you a video game collector?

What kind of game collector are you?

• Im a hardcore collector! With masses of sealed games

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Im a scalper

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Im a casual gamer, I buy games as and when

Votes: 116 79.5%
  • I'm like Matt. I buy games to play but they remain new and sealed if I end up not playing them

Votes: 29 19.9%

• Total voters
I think by the definition of this thread no. I'm definitely not the type of person to buy every single game that came out on a console, regardless of interest, because I want to own the entire catalogue. But I do like to have the original cases for games and buy limited editions of games when I enjoy the series/game already.

Not really. I try to get physical copies of games if they're available in my region. Otherwise I'll just get it digital. Not gonna jump through hoops by importing or trying to get a hold of Limited Run-like releases. I do have a small retro game collection but I'm not actively collecting since a lot of retro games go for a small fortune nowadays. Not really worth it for me anymore.

I’m not hardcore by any means. If a game sounds interesting, then I will purchase the game. I’m mostly into sports games, so I guess I would be a collector of sports games.

Last edited:
Casual
I only collect what I bought throughout the years (or decades) lol or what was given to me. I don't sell my games. I don't even buy retro games that are worth more now than what they were back in the day.

None of the options apply to me too much, I have a good collection of games (especially older Nintendo) but I like to play them. I have a good size library but it?s all used, I enjoy games not just to have but for fun anytime. With a variety

Not actively, but I guess I've built up a nice little collection over the years. Especially with Pokemon games actually! I have copies of every main series game from Gen I-IV besides Blue and Ruby. I'd be lying if I said I haven't been tempted to drop some more money on completing the set though.

I'm not really rich enough to buy games only to end up not playing them, so the only games I have that are entirely unplayed are ones I received for free.

I buy games that I, or a family member, intend to play. I haven't sold, and am not planning to sell, any part of my game collection.

Last edited:
I'm much more casual, although I have a decent collection of games since I tend to keep my games and not sell them. I open and play all of my games, too, or even buy second hand for the right price.

i used to, until i just decided to give some of them away. now i just buy whatever i can.

I would say I am a video game collector with certain games such as mario, animal crossing, pokemon and even zelda. Apart from those I will buy games as I want them and if they intrigue me.

In a way...
I always keep the games that I like a lot, if they're just okay or not for me - I'll sell them without a doubt.
One thing I dislike about the current age of gaming is that with all the technological progress... we still can't figure out how to preserve games, particularly the ones of this generation. Games are often treated as some product that is going to be forgotten the moment a new "product" comes out. I mean, every game has a ton of patches, DLC and they're necessary, some fix game-breaking bugs. If PSN, Xbox Live or Steam go offline one day, how would one download all the updates and DLC? Then there are some games that go out of sale because of licensing issues or developers disbanding their studios.

For example, Wii is not that old of a console but its online services are disabled, they still allow downloading patches but there were some messages that suggest that feature will be turned off in the future. So, some games would be unplayable unless you did download the patch when it was possible.

Switch is good with that because of the cartridges, 3DS is flawless and most of the games didn't even have any patches for them. PS2 and PS3 games are good with that, too but PS4 generation? Almost every game has a day-one patch, DLC... I actually had to delete some installed games from PS4 because it had no storage left. So, I'll probably need to replace its hard drive to be able to download all the patches for my favorite games, just to be 100% sure those games will remain playable for years to come.

Another example: Final Fantasy XV. It made me download... 60Gb of data, I think.
:D

Last edited:
Not a collector at all, I only buy the games I would like to play and sometimes sell them if I'm done
with them (depends however which game it is and of course if I didn't bought them digital).

No, I buy games to play them and when I'm done with them I like selling them if they're physical. Like I kinda feel bad when I buy a game digitally because it's there forever and I'll only play it once, but 10 bucks is cheaper than buying for 60 and selling for 30.

But it's interesting though. Like on one hand DVDs lost all of their value. On the other hand games from the right period have gone up in value (mostly old DS games from popular series that didn't have a long shelf life from my experience). But then I find PC games from 2009 in a second hand store and they're being sold for a buck. Like, gaming prices are all about perception and I feel like people shouldn't be tricked into buying things just because they don't want to miss out on something. To me it's only cool if you like collect all games from an old console or all games from your favorite series.

Last edited:
I'm not sure which to vote on. I like buying all sorts of titles and looking up their reviews to see if they're worth the purchase. Sometimes I buy games I don't normally buy just to experience something new.

If they come in a really neat box or come with limited edition items, I take double care to preserve them, so I can come back to look at them later. I wouldn't go as far as buying more than one copy of the same game, though. unless you include Pok?mon, which I normally buy both versions of (e.g. Heart Gold & Soul Silver), but stopped doing so with X and onwards. So I'm not sure if that would make me a casual gamer or a hardcore one.

I like collecting cartridge games over discs, as they tend to last longer, are more portable and give you less errors, so most of my game collection consists of cartridge games and a few I own digitally (only if they're strictly digital games). With digital games, you don't get any cool perks like game boxes, manuals or collectible items (not to my knowledge anyway) and you still have to pay the same price or nearly the same price and if your 3DS breaks you have to send it in for repair, which can cost you almost as much as just buying another 3ds, but you have no other choice bc your games are on it, so I'd rather avoid that headache. Also it's easier to lose all your games at once.

I don't really collect games. I find games I want to play, I open them and play, but if I don't like them, I resell them or trade them for something else.

I wanna say at some point I had accumulated lots of games for difference systems but I've moved so many times in the past 8 years, that I've lost them all. At one point, I owned 64 games for the NES alone. I have a bunch of games for PS2 that I gave my sister, and I at least had every pokemon game for DS up till Pokemon X/Y among plenty of other games and titles (I was just really proud of having all the Pokemon games.) saved in storage, but that was the year the Houston flood happened so now i currently just have a couple copies of animal crossing. I'm really sad about it but what can you do.

Last edited:
I only buy games that I know I'll play. They're extra expensive nowadays and I can't afford to have unopened games or games I end up not liking. I've turned out to being very picky with the games I buy. I do research on them before buying to see if it's something I'd like.

Back