• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Worst video games that you have played?

Metal Scorpion

Bells
I don't know if there's a thread already but what are the worst video games you have played?

Pitfall!: It's proof that not every game from the 1980s was a classic. Pitfall! is one of those games. It's a dull, monotonous gameplay with bad platforming. I disliked this game as a kid and still do. Given it was made by Activision, who would become one of the greediest companies of all time, it's no surprise why this game is horrible. It's probably in leagues with Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Action 52 as terrible games I've unfortunately played. Which brings me...

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde: A video game that you can die with no fault on your own. That's right, you can die and not understand why it happened. It's explained why: If Mr. Hyde reaches where Dr. Jekyll turned into the former, he just dies. Good luck understanding that the first time you play this! It was also inexplicably changed in the North American version to repeat levels. Mercifully, Europe and Oceania never saw this game's release.

Action 52: Quantity over quality. There's what is wrong with this game. There are 52 games and they're all glitch-fests. At least two of the games do not work on the first revision. Putrid graphics, broken games, glitches aplenty, horrible controls and no continues in any of the 52 games. All of this rolled into a $199 cart ($445.20 in today's money) that overheats if you play it on an actual NES for too long.

What are your worst games?

These are just my own opinions pretty much, so take everything here with a grain of salt.

Bravely Default. Yes, the base game is pretty good, ASIDE from the fact that once you hit a certain point in the story you have to grind bosses and levels repeatedly. That part of the game turned me off from it so much that I never bothered completing the main story. I've heard good things about Bravely Default II, but honestly, I'm not interested in trying it. 💀

Fire Emblem: Fates. The general gameplay is good, but the story is just heckin' awful and filled with mistakes and issues. Not to mention the fact that children characters are very prominent in this game. It feels wrong to be listing this here because I really did enjoy the gameplay, but uh, the story definitely could have been better.

Sonic and Mario at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020. I don't know if it's just my old age speaking, but I FEEL like the Sonic and Mario Olympic video games had been done to death by this point, and I did not enjoy this one that much.

Persona (the entire series). This one is a bit odd for me. Considering I'm an anime fan, you think I'd enjoy Persona too. WRONG. I've tried a bit of every game in the series, and it's just... not my cup of tea (I highly prefer Shin Megami Tensei).

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric. If you need reassurance that Sonic games had gone downhill by this point, just relish in the fact that I bought this and then returned it a couple days later. 💀

Pokemon Sword and Shield. As much as I love Pokemon and played these games, I have to admit that they missed a huge opportunity to make Sword and Shield great games. The story felt largely uninspiring, the "evil" team wasn't really even an evil team and was boring, and the games by this point to me are uh, honestly forgettable. They're even worse than Scarlet/Violet imo, and those had tons of bugs and glitches when they first released.

Xenoblade Chronicles X. I have to say first and foremost that I never played this to completion. The soundtrack is really good, but the gameplay and story felt lacking at times.

Animal Crossing: City Folk. Genuinely my least favorite entry in the AC series, I can't imagine what they were thinking with this one. New Leaf and even New Horizons are miles and miles better. Heck, even WILD WORLD was better than this.

Listing any game that The Angry Video Game Nerd has reviewed does not count. Those are given. 😂

Have you heard of Cubivore on the Gamecube? Just like Animal Crossing, it too was an N64 game ported over and I find it awfully uninteresting. 🥱 It has a cute look to it and I love the polygonal, pixely look it has, but it's just button mashing and no motivating goal. 👎

I guess if you like Pokémon Rumble and N64 looking games, this might be worth a try to you. 💁‍♀️

sw_supermonkeyballbananamanialaunchfr.jpg

From the past few years, this is by far the worst console game I've played. Sega took an amazing game (Super Monkey Ball 2 for Gamecube) and completely ruined the port to modern consoles. For some reason Sega changed the physics from the original, which was perfect as it was, and now it's just off. Some of the best minigames which were a lot of fun, are completely unplayable. And the main levels are either way too easy or nearly impossible with the changed physics.

From the past few years, this is by far the worst console game I've played. Sega took an amazing game (Super Monkey Ball 2 for Gamecube) and completely ruined the port to modern consoles. For some reason Sega changed the physics from the original, which was perfect as it was, and now it's just off. Some of the best minigames which were a lot of fun, are completely unplayable. And the main levels are either way too easy or nearly impossible with the changed physics.

Oh gosh how did I forget about this. I used to love playing Super Monkey Ball when I was younger, but I didn't bother picking this one up. In fact I think my subconscious deleted it from memory because of the bad things I heard about it. 💀

I bought this on steam on sale, despite hearing the issues. The camera was SO bad, I couldn't see over my character which made playing hell. You had to constant hold UP on the right joystick to see over your monkey while trying to navigate with the left one. With monkey ball controls it was so jarring. I spent 20 minutes trying to find camera adjustment settings before giving up and refunding. Awful.

Also gotta give this to Pokemon Scarlet and Violet. You all know exactly why this pathetic excuse of a $90 (plus $40 DLC!) CAD game deserves to be on this list.

Sega took an amazing game (Super Monkey Ball 2 for Gamecube) and completely ruined the port to modern consoles.
Monkey Ball is awesome. I had the luck of playing the actual arcade version years ago: the joystick is a banana! 🍌 If you know how to modify/hack your gaming consoles (or know how to emulate on PC) you should give Super Monkey Ball Deluxe for the Gamecube a try. 💡 It originally came out on PS2 and I have it, but it sucks. There's input lag and the directional sensitivity is not accurate compared to the Gamecube versions. There's a SMB2 mod that essentially turns it into the deluxe version the PS2 and Dreamcast had. Definitely recommend it. 🐵

Pokemon Sword and Shield. As much as I love Pokemon and played these games, I have to admit that they missed a huge opportunity to make Sword and Shield great games. The story felt largely uninspiring, the "evil" team wasn't really even an evil team and was boring, and the games by this point to me are uh, honestly forgettable. They're even worse than Scarlet/Violet imo, and those had tons of bugs and glitches when they first released.
You could put a lot of the Switch Pokemon games on this list sadly. I haven't played Sword & Shield, but have played 3 or 4 of the other Switch Pokemon games. Boring, predictable story, pretty subpar graphics, some terrible game/mechanics decisions (not including all the Pokemon or at least a lot of favorites), lots of bugs, way too easy difficulty, the list goes on. It's sad what the franchise has turned into.

honestly? pokemon violet.

while i absolutely adore the characters and the new pokemon, the graphics are just... bad.

i hate the way the game looks, and also the controls! god

Most recent game would have to be:
Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl

They had one job and when a game released 15 years ago did Sinnoh better then you know you messed up big time. Glad I only paid for one game because honestly it felt like a waste of money.

the only one the comes to mind is the just dance series. i’ve only played the most recent ones, and they’re decent, but almost all of the songs are locked behind a subscription fee? like, i already paid $40-$60+ for this and now you’re gonna lock the game behind a recurring paywall? no thanks.
i’ll just boot up my xbox 360 and play dance central, tyvm.

the only one the comes to mind is the just dance series. i’ve only played the most recent ones, and they’re decent, but almost all of the songs are locked behind a subscription fee? like, i already paid $40-$60+ for this and now you’re gonna lock the game behind a recurring paywall? no thanks.
i agree!!

as a huge just dance fan i think while the games are improving when it comes to dances, thats... about it.

the newer games (2923 and 2024) have almost no songs, making it very disappointing when i go on there to play 'swish swish' by katy perry and its NOT. THERE.

so yeah i get that. also dance central was my jam when i was younger so major respect

One game that I absolutely hated despite it being a really popular game is Fire Emblem The Sacred Stones. Absolutely boring to say the least.

Another really bad game I’ve come across that others don’t think is so bad is Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded for the DS. That has to be the absolute worst KH game yet! The chip system is so hard to figure out and if you mess up installing the chips then you’ve screwed up the rest of the game.

breath of the wild
I can't think of any that that are 100% truly bad, but Final Fantasy Type-0 is on a constant metronome swinging back and forth between being either the best game or the worst game I've ever played with no in-between.
The game has a lot of flaws, I can't say a single positive thing about it... but I still like it in a weird way and I have no idea why. One of the optional bosses in the game is an egg! Literally just an egg! It doesn't do anything because it's an egg! But it has a super inflated health pool so have fun spamming attacks on it for 20 minutes while doing nothing else :lemon: That feels like the best summary of what playing this game is like. This game is a 3/10 but it's MY 3/10 game.
I've heard good things about Bravely Default II, but honestly, I'm not interested in trying it. 💀
Honestly BD II was my other contender for worst game here, the game has a lot of issues and most of it can be blamed on covid ruining everything. Story is kinda boring but at the end they try to introduce 5 other plot points but then also completely ignore them immediately after introducing them so ????? why are they here. Jobs have less moves than in earlier games, but they removed the interesting moves so the gameplay boils down to find a really strong move you like and spam it. Bosses can counter you now and their counters can be triggered by nearly anything. Some bosses can counter HEALING so if you try to heal someone, they'll jump in and kill your healer before they could use their healing which just feels gross. The game uses ATB instead of turns now, so the best way to get more actions now is to stack a bunch of speed instead of using the brave and default system to stockpile actions for later. Well it isn't like the brave and default system was that important anyways! It isn't like they named the game after it- oh wait.

This is why Bravely Second is the real best bravely game :lemon:
also dance central was my jam when i was younger so major respect
THE TASTEEEE

There's this RPG called Magna Carta: Tears of Blood for the PS2.

They were really trying hard to revolutionize how RPGs are made and failed. Selecting a regular attack required a silly roulette sequence, you have to stay on good terms with your party members by talking to them and gifting them. If they don't like what you say or your gift, their attitude towards you will drop - therefore, they refuse to listen to your commands during battle. There's some kind of orb/mist/miasma thing going on like in Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles but it just hinders the gaming experience.

I tried to give it several chances and restarted from the beginning but I ended up popping open the PS2 and crushing the disc in my hand.

When I play games, I'm optimistic. Very rarely can something be so bad, that it causes me to do that.

pokemon sun and moon (or well, moon but i'm assuming they're the same game with different pokemon) were so boring, i didn't even get halfway through the game before putting it down and selling my copy lol

detroit: become human was terrible for so many reasons that i hope i don't have to explain. terrible writing with a super tacky and insensitive story, though i'll give it some credit for some parts being so bad they were funny.

sonic '06 oh my god. though unlike the aforementioned the whole thing does have the charm of being so bad it's hilarious (it's no use).

Definitely Carnival Island for PS3. Not only are the games frustrating to unlock all achievements (it’s a PlayStation Move game), but the game is too optimistic and have no real plot. Like the whole reason why the lighthouse wasn’t working was because there weren’t too many carnival guests, and the only way you can light the lighthouse is by playing some carnival games and scoring certain achievement.

This kind of plot sounds like something coming from a preschooler’s game. Not even the other “kiddie games” I played didn’t have a plot this shallow.

oh my GOODNESS. both i can think of are harvest moon titles that came about after their split.
harvest moon: skytree village and light of hope. horrid. dreadful. light of hope was worse, if memory serves. blegh.
all the good harvest moon games are now under the title of story of seasons.

Back