• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Are you a video game collector?

What kind of game collector are you?

• Im a hardcore collector! With masses of sealed games

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Im a scalper

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Im a casual gamer, I buy games as and when

Votes: 116 79.5%
  • I'm like Matt. I buy games to play but they remain new and sealed if I end up not playing them

Votes: 29 19.9%

• Total voters
I collect games, but I don't care about value and stuff at all. I just like to have them on my shelf and play most of them.

I used to be a big collector and I had tons of valuable games, most of them complete. I sold almost all of it for money several years ago and while it helped me at the time I do kind of regret it seeing some of my old games worth there's times as much. At this point, I don't enjoy having massive collections of anything. I'd rather have an intimate collection of my favorites, though I am still picky about condition sometimes.

I only buy games to play, not for collecting purposes. However, I still collect them in the sense I never plan to sell them. Like even though I don't play the Genesis anymore, we have a couple boxes of cartridges. They have good nostalgic value and look good to display.

Not a video game collector, but will go for physical copy over digital copy whenever possible to collect it.

For me at least, the only reason i'd ever buy a video game is to play it. I've never really been interested in any of the infamous 'deluxe' editions that companies like to charge through the nose for now either, although I know some people are really into that sort of thing.

However, since my brother has ASD and can get really obsessed with some things, he likes to collect all of the mario games and is slowly starting up a gamecube collection on the side as well. Right now he does play the ones he gets, but game-play doesn't really seem to be the driving factor in which ones he chooses, and rather from what I can see he likes completing certain series and then jumping to the next. My god is it an expensive hobby though 😭

I feel like none of these apply to me. I buy games that I'm interested in but prefer digital for PS4 / Xbox and physical for Switch (due to resell value and simply because I don't want to buy an SD card for the extra memory). So far I've amassed 200 on Xbox, maybe around 20 on PS4 and another 10 on Switch. Majority of these I have played but probably ~30% will have been for a good amount of time (>100 hours or so).

I used to be a pretty big collector for select series that I was quite big on, but these days, I've mellowed out of that. Now I only buy games if I intend on playing them or have some fond attachment to them, but I don't go for completionism anymore. I do still like collecting things like merchandise and figures and books. But games are just too expensive and these days I can't justify the price compared to the amount of satisfaction I actually get out of them.

i’m personally not. i buy games that interest me and that’s about it lmao - i do regret throwing out my older games, though. they were all for the DS and pretty outdated but it would’ve been nice to keep them around for memories aha

I'd say that I'm a game collector but I'm not really actively pursuing rare games or specific titles. I usually just get games that I feel are good and I'll enjoy and have them on display and I'll try to get some more in the future.

I gave up on physical collections for Xbox and Playstation. But, I still collect very regularly for Switch. Been kinda limited in what I could afford in 2020, because of the pandemic. But, my Switch collection stands at around 80 physical games...bunch of limited run/special reserve/super rare games...some peripherals like the NES and SNES online controllers, different colors of joy-cons, etc. Everything I own is stuff that I buy to play. I don't buy things just to be a competitionist. Like...if something is clearly a bad game...I don't need that in my collection "just to have it". I do have some physical games that I've kept sealed...but, those are all games that I originally bought in digital format and then purchased a second time in physical. I do that pretty often, sadly. Lol.

There are many types of gamers, some only buy their games to open and play, whilst other gamers like to cherish their games as precious valuables, and aspire to have a massive video game library on their shelf. Theres people like a certain someone of my friends (not saying any names) who buys two of everything...one to keep new and sealed, and another to open and play (especially when it comes to amiibo). Aaaand then theres scalpers, buying 10 of everything and listing half on eBay for double the price.

So what are you when it comes to gaming? Do you strive to collect major rare titles and limited print runs (such as those from Super Rare Games .com who produce indie games in limited physical runs - well worth checking out) or do you just buy your games to play ?

Personally, Im a gamer but only a little bit of a collector. I have some nice games from Super Rare Games .com which have a limited print run of indie games such as Human Flat Fall and The Flame In The Flood new and sealed with certificate of purchase etc, whilst games that I like such as Pokemon, and Professor Layton, I open and play although try to keep it in excellent condition.

So how about you?

Oddly enough, back in the day before I sold my thousands of dollars worth of games spaning across many platforma, I have never realized nor stop to think about how many were actually considered collectable material 😅 I at one point lover seeing my tons of games on the shelves as a kid, never really having an affinity to actually "collect" them, but moreso end up doing so as I bought games.

I was always a typical casual player who would buy a game that I personally thought was worth my time and money. I really never really bought a game to just simply collect (Unless, you mean that while buying games that I was indirectly "collecting" them,then I suppose I was?)

There are many types of gamers, some only buy their games to open and play, whilst other gamers like to cherish their games as precious valuables, and aspire to have a massive video game library on their shelf. Theres people like a certain someone of my friends (not saying any names) who buys two of everything...one to keep new and sealed, and another to open and play (especially when it comes to amiibo). Aaaand then theres scalpers, buying 10 of everything and listing half on eBay for double the price.

So what are you when it comes to gaming? Do you strive to collect major rare titles and limited print runs (such as those from Super Rare Games .com who produce indie games in limited physical runs - well worth checking out) or do you just buy your games to play ?

Personally, Im a gamer but only a little bit of a collector. I have some nice games from Super Rare Games .com which have a limited print run of indie games such as Human Flat Fall and The Flame In The Flood new and sealed with certificate of purchase etc, whilst games that I like such as Pokemon, and Professor Layton, I open and play although try to keep it in excellent condition.

So how about you?

I collect a few titles, mostly final fantasty and N64 related. My prized possessions are my base set of pokemon cards and my pikachu N64 with gold zelda ocarina of time.

I only buy games to play them, but I do prefer to buy physical copies and display the cases on my shelf, and I rarely consider selling them. It's nice to look at my collection and think back fondly on the games I've played! Sometimes I'll get limited edition copies if I'm interested in the extras that come with it.

Honestly I collect merchandise more than I do games. I have the Mario pin sets, Nook bag, keychain, posters, and zip pouch from MyNintendo and around 320 AC amiibo cards (many from trading extras on here). There’s just something I like about collecting.

i usually sell games after i've completed them. i don't have any sealed copies of anything nor merchandise. was going to start a switch collection of games not long ago but i changed my mind

I have a large collection of games because I never sell the games I buy, but most of them are not sealed. I always buy games with the intention to eventually play them. However, I consider myself to be a collector to some extent, because I will often buy the limited editions/special editions of games, particularly JRPGs and otome games/visual novels.

Hmm I only buy games I have an interest in playing, although I do enjoy keeping and having my collection on display. I’m particularly interested in older Nintendo games. I also have gone out of my way to collect more older Pokémon games even if I do have the other version already.

I don’t collect. I buy games when I’m interested in the game. I don’t do it for the purpose of collecting.

Back