• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Gaming Burnout

SkyKnight03

elegy
Bells
April Birthstone (Diamond)
Sky Clouds Scenery
Spring Sakura
White Hyacinth
Pink Heart Balloon
Purple Balloon
Sweet Balloon
Sweet Balloon
Yellow Balloon
Sweet Balloon
Has anybody ever get burned out of a specific game? I feel like I can't play long RPG's without this being an issue. Open Worlds such as Elden Ring or Fallout are almost impossible for me. I can put 50-60 hours into a game with full immersion and investment, then suddenly my mood crashes and it becomes a chore to finish. Even if I liked the game. I've been telling myself each night I'll progress in Xenoblade 3, because for a while I was having so much fun with it. Now I don't feel like picking it up.

Instead of having a game backlog, it becomes more of an extensive list of games I got far into and have no motivation to finish.

Yes, I get easily burned out from Animal Crossing, actually. There's a bunch of other games I don't have motivation for, but that one comes to mind first.
I'm actually supposed to be playing Splatoon 3's Side Order DLC right now and I'm struggling to continue though that might be more of an issue with my physical health.

I get tired of games all the time. Like I want to play it for weeks and then drop it for months or even years. I don't worry about it too much because I know that someday I'll get the motivation to come back to it and eventually I'll finish it. Or I won't and I don't care because I don't really want to play anyway 🤷‍♀️

Possibly because I play a lot of longer games and a few that can be played indefinitely, I get this a lot, and I've found it best to just kind of go with it and play (or do) something else. I used to be very fixated on only playing a couple games at a time until I finished them (which... I'm not entirely over, but I think it's less unhealthy now lol) and when I got tired of them, it just stressed me out and sucked the fun out of what's supposed to be a relaxing hobby. Sometimes playing my games felt like a chore, and I felt like I had to make x much progress every however many days. Then I came across this video, which really did not have to call me out so badly:
...and now I've been trying to take a much more laidback approach to my gaming backlog, and if I'm in the mood to start a new game instead of continuing one of my current playthroughs, I will.

By far the largest chunk of games in my backlog are mainline Pokémon games, but when I found myself getting irritated with the gameplay, I set it aside. I played Rune Factory 3 Special exclusively for weeks, and then Rune Factory 5 just as exclusively immediately after
(and I'm nowhere near done with 3, I just missed playing 5) and overall I've been having an absolute blast with them. They're very comforting to me, but when I last tried to play a few nights ago, I found myself getting frustrated that progress was taking so long... so I'm giving myself a break from them and focusing on my other, non-gaming hobbies a little more. It could've just been that I wasn't in the mood for it and may feel like playing again in a day or two, or it might be a few months. But they'll still be there, exactly as I left them, as soon as I want to visit those worlds again.

I truly love a lot of my games and know that I'll come back and finish them or 100% them sooner or later. And if I don't, and don't want to ever go back and finish a game, that says a lot more about my enjoyment of the game than it does about myself, and I can use that to inform what games I decide to get in the future.

I definitely get burnt out -- I feel like it's more rare for me to finish a game than to not. Usually it's a mixture of me getting sidetracked too much, or just a "well, I'll come back to it again" (and then I just... don't.) I usually just read summaries of games after a certain point if I don't think I'll finish it myself eventually. Games like Animal Crossing and Story of Seasons are the worst offenders for me because I love them so much I end up playing them for hundreds of hours and go super hard, and while it's super fun in the moment, it quickly sucks the fun out of things. I'm definitely trying to learn to pace myself better.

I also try to avoid forcing myself to play things to the point where it feels like a chore because that tends to burn me out the most. I think this applies most to mobile games and MMOs for me, as I'll constantly force myself to log in, do dailies, etc. and do a whole cycle of stuff and at some point it's not even fun anymore?

I think this post summarizes the idea well (and helped me step out of my cookie run kingdom dailies loop):

if i start thinking "this feels like making ice cubes" that's when i clue in that i need to stop with a behaviour (。_。)

Back