• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Are you a video game collector?

What kind of game collector are you?

• Im a hardcore collector! With masses of sealed games

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Im a scalper

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Im a casual gamer, I buy games as and when

Votes: 116 79.5%
  • I'm like Matt. I buy games to play but they remain new and sealed if I end up not playing them

Votes: 29 19.9%

• Total voters

matt

www.rail-record.co.uk
Bells
Switch
4674-2909-7290
New Horizons Token
Kaleidoclover
Holiday Candy Cane 2016
Tasty Cake
Famous Mushroom
Ancient Candle
Voodoo Doll
Pumpkin Cupcake
Happy Home Designer Token
Orange Mote of Flame
There are many types of gamers, some only buy their games to open and play, whilst other gamers like to cherish their games as precious valuables, and aspire to have a massive video game library on their shelf. Theres people like a certain someone of my friends (not saying any names) who buys two of everything...one to keep new and sealed, and another to open and play (especially when it comes to amiibo). Aaaand then theres scalpers, buying 10 of everything and listing half on eBay for double the price.

So what are you when it comes to gaming? Do you strive to collect major rare titles and limited print runs (such as those from Super Rare Games .com who produce indie games in limited physical runs - well worth checking out) or do you just buy your games to play ?

Personally, Im a gamer but only a little bit of a collector. I have some nice games from Super Rare Games .com which have a limited print run of indie games such as Human Flat Fall and The Flame In The Flood new and sealed with certificate of purchase etc, whilst games that I like such as Pokemon, and Professor Layton, I open and play although try to keep it in excellent condition.

So how about you?

Last edited:
I only buy games to play and enjoy them. I keep a small collection of my all-time favourite games, but only if I think I would replay them.

I’m actually pretty hardcore, with a large collection spanning Nintendo’s consoles (excluding the Switch for now). I enjoy it. :)

I chose the last option, but I've been buying every game that has a physical release for the Switch and I keep them sealed if I don't play them.

I'm quite a collector but I inherited that collection from my mom. I have all her games from when she had a couple atari consoles all the way to a snes which is when I started collected. So we have boxes and boxes of carts even some floppy's from old DOS games we had.

Although most of them aren't sealed they have been played and still get played. I also have all the original consoles that she had and that I grew up with.

I'm not sure where I fit within the poll... I'd never buy a physical game just to keep it sealed but I have an addiction for buying steelbooks and limited editions (only if they're cool or include a steelbook). In terms of steelbooks I'll buy them online for games that I have digital copies on steam or if they weren't released in my country. For example I purchased my Pokemon Alpha Sapphire all the way from the UK (I live in NZ) just to get the steelbook for it. Thankfully moon released with a steelbook here in the following years ^-^

Does anyone else fit into my preference of collecting special limited editions of Games?

I buy games to play them not sell, I bought Fatal frame 1 & 2 off Amazon in their sealed Ps2 packaging & i still opened them & played them lmao & i tend to miss old games so i try to find new alternatives, like I really wanted the old dynasty warriors orochi ( can't remember which one but it was also for ps2) then I found that there's a new orochi game for the ps3 & i got that instead
so I think I'm not a hardcore collector really

I only buy games to play them, though if I could afford it I would probably be a bit more of a collector as well haha

I don't fall under any of your categories, I'm a casual collector, I'll buy a game if I want it and it's a good price, but I really don't aggressively seek games/

I mainly like to find rare used retro games for cheap prices to collect (and play). I collect certain series and genres, but they're always opened. So I picked casual, even though I collect more games than I actually play.

That last poll option made me giggle.

Last edited:
I used to buy every game like until maybe 2 years ago. I've gone through that phase when I buy two of special/limited edition releases then keep the other sealed or just buy one LE to keep then one regular version to play. My interest have slowed down a bit over the years, so nowadays I just buy what I want to play. Then there's my little daughter who has to have her own stuff so we could play the same game (usually online multiplayer) together. Also, I own multiple units so that's something to consider when it comes to expenses, not to mention, those expensive controllers and accessories. On Nintendo Switch, I think right now I have the same number of joycons/pro controllers and games lol I'd say my collection as a whole is kind of messed up. I still have them all though.

I have a pretty good collection of games especially my Xbox one but for the 3ds there are not much. I'm looking forward to buy a lot of 3ds games because I have a big wishlist so yeah i am a video game collecter in a way. Probably not the hardcore one.

I have a decent collection, but I wouldn't say that I'm a hardcore collector. I do have a few rare games, however.

I wouldn't say I'm a hardcore collector (I don't collect rare/limited edition games rn), but I'm always up for buying old NES/SNES/N64/Gameboy games. I'm mainly focusing on my N64 and NES collection right now.

Sometime in the future, when I have more money, I want to start collecting more N64 stuff, like game boxes, new-in-box stuff, and rare stuff like that blockbuster game and the 64DD.

I guess you could say I collect sports video games. I always want the latest release of the NHL franchise. I also play other sports video games such as the NCAA Football franchise, that unfortunately got discontinued, and the Madden games.

I've always just purchased games that I want to play. If they just so happen to become highly sought after collectors' items, that's neat, but I don't seek to own games just because they're in demand. I sometimes seek out retro games that are more rare, but still, it's just because I actually want to play the games.

I'm not sure where I fit within the poll... I'd never buy a physical game just to keep it sealed but I have an addiction for buying steelbooks and limited editions (only if they're cool or include a steelbook). In terms of steelbooks I'll buy them online for games that I have digital copies on steam or if they weren't released in my country. For example I purchased my Pokemon Alpha Sapphire all the way from the UK (I live in NZ) just to get the steelbook for it. Thankfully moon released with a steelbook here in the following years ^-^

Does anyone else fit into my preference of collecting special limited editions of Games?

I'm pretty much the same as this, although I don't generally tend to buy a physical copy if I already own the digital copy unless I really, really like the game. Anything special or limited edition I'll usually buy if it's available and not more than 30% more expensive than the regular edition. But more than buying limited and special editions of games I tend to have a rather large available library on each console/PC that I own, although 3DS is an exception because there's not that much worth playing, and if it is, it's often on Steam anyway. That said, I'd never buy a physical game unless I planned on playing it.

Last edited:
People would probably call me a collector because of the sheer number of video games I own. But I don't go out of my way to collect them. I've just learned that I tend to regret selling my old video games because sometimes I want to replay them, so I generally only sell ones I hated. I can't tell you how many video games I have because I haven't counted, but it's definitely in the 3 digits (hundreds).

I'm in my 30s and gaming has been my major hobby for most of my life, plus my husband's a gamer too.

Edit: Oh, about the sealed thing - nah. I play my games. I don't really see the point of buying something and keeping it sealed. The only reason to do that IMO is if you want to use it as a future investment, but I don't do that. I play my games. Err, at least, that's the intent. I definitely have ones that I haven't played yet, unfortunately.

Last edited:
No I don't really see the point in buying a game I won't play. And I have other stuff to waste my money on, like ebay, lol. :p

Back