• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What's the worst lie you ever told?

I actually have a huge issue with lying, and I can't really remember lying about much of anything. I'm sure I did when I was a kid...but certainly nothing I can recall. - Now my issue is being too honest. If I have something to say, I just say it...and if I see other people trying to get away with lies, I call them out on it 9 times out of 10.

I also hate when people say that some lies are worth it, or can somehow minimize damage or whatever. - I really think being honest is always the best policy. It's a huge pet peeve of mine.

when i was like 9, my friend gave me her one of her favourite LPS toys but then i lost it. i didn't wanna admit it because it was her favorite so for the next few days, i told her that my sister was keeping it captive and refused to give it to me unless i did her chores. eventually the lie just kinda spun out of control so i just came clean. oh, 4th grade memories...

Mine resulted in jail time, though not for me.
...yeah dude i'm gonna need a story time on that one because WHAT HAHAHA💀

when i was like 9, my friend gave me her one of her favourite LPS toys but then i lost it. i didn't wanna admit it because it was her favorite so for the next few days, i told her that my sister was keeping it captive and refused to give it to me unless i did her chores. eventually the lie just kinda spun out of control so i just came clean. oh, 4th grade memories...

...yeah dude i'm gonna need a story time on that one because WHAT HAHAHA💀
Yeah that's kind of messed up. I knew a kid who lied about a neighbor and the poor man was innocent. Had his name dragged through the mud and everything. Still has that mark on his record and left home ect to start over. It's not cool. You should learn from that mistake and never actively try to ruin another person's life like that.

I also hate when people say that some lies are worth it, or can somehow minimize damage or whatever. - I really think being honest is always the best policy. It's a huge pet peeve of mine.
I don't know about that. Sometimes the intentions are good and work out. Band of Brothers (an HBO series about WW2 and a true story) had an episode where that happened. The war was nearing its end and the remaining soldiers were just trying to make it through without dying. The last mission they had was to invade the other side of the town and steal some German soldiers so their superiors could interrogate them for information.

One of the privates ends up dying in a gruesome and sad way as his friends watch on helplessly. They get two German captives who only give up useless information like 'Hitler's favorite color.' The higher ups are happy and want to do it again. Their Captain makes up a bogus report saying they tried and the German soldiers ended up dying so they couldn't complete the mission. Sometimes a lie can help sometimes it can't. In this case it helped the soldiers from having to pointlessly go in harms way and potentially die for some officers bragging rights about getting more POWs.

I honestly can’t remember off the top of my head the absolute worst lie I told, but I once lied to my parents about having a good day in school. In reality, I was about to get suspended for an anger management issue, and they didn’t find out until about 15 minutes after I got home. When my mom finally found out, she was furious. My punishment was having to sit at a table at her waitress job as I was also subsequently grounded and couldn’t be alone at home. At least her boss was nice enough to let me wash some dishes for cash.

If I learned anything good from that suspension, it was experiencing having a job before I got my first one a year later when I turned 16. I’d like to leave my freshman year of high school a distant memory, but the transition for me was very rough. It’s kind of hard to explain exactly what I did without revealing too much personal information, but all I can tell you is that my actions weren’t good at all.

hello??????? can you please elaborate??? 😭 😭 😭
Hmmmmmm? Oh yeah, sorry, it was during a game of Monopoly, I forget the full details.
Post automatically merged:

Yeah that's kind of messed up. I knew a kid who lied about a neighbor and the poor man was innocent. Had his name dragged through the mud and everything. Still has that mark on his record and left home ect to start over. It's not cool. You should learn from that mistake and never actively try to ruin another person's life like that.
I really should, a few weeks later I was Playing Guess Who with him and he said "Do you have glasses?" and I said "No." - but here's the thing, I DID have glasses. Anyway, I won that game and then I quickly shook my board out before showing him who I was, then said "Oh sorry, well I was Gloria (someone I know doesn't wear glasses). I will try to stop though.

Mine resulted in jail time, though not for me.
I like how this ended up being clickbait lol

I told a really, really silly awful lie when I was in 1st or 2nd grade.

It was December and they partnered everyone up so that we could make these really dumb wreaths -- wreaths made by tying rectangular scraps of quilting cotton to a circular wire frame. I had been partnered up with a girl who always hated me and bullied me all year, so I already knew it was gonna be a bad time.. But when I found out that we had to tie things to a wire, I really panicked because I did not know how to even tie my shoes yet. I tried anyway but my bully was already getting impatient with me when I kept failing and so I tried to think of a way out, and then I remembered learning about amnesia recently (probably through a cartoon or something).

So I went up to the teacher and told her I forgot how to tie because I got hit in the head during gym with a ball. Ironically I don't remember much after that but I do remember feeling so clever as if it was this super believable lie. I know she didn't teach me how to tie or anything though because I ended up learning months later when my grandma finally taught me how to tie my shoes

Real life monopoly or the board game? 😏

Worse lie huh? Like most unbelievable or like bad bad?
I'ma gonna go with most unbelievable.
So when I was like 4, I'd throw my shoes in the middle of this big vegetable garden we had. It had a lot of garder snakes in it as we lived by woods. My mom always had a hard time keeping shoes on my feet. Anywho she was mad that once again I threw my shoes in there and she would have to go in there and get them out. She asked me how my shoes got in there and I told her a bumblebee carried them through the garden with a straight face.
She screamed and laughed at me at the same time about lying and how bumblebees can't do that and throwing my shoes in there and not wearing shoes.
🐝
👟

I used to cut my hair short when I was younger, like elementary school age. My mom didn’t like it so I would always tell her that her sister (not blood — my mom was adopted) cut my hair. My mom didn’t get along with her sister anyway, so it was an easy thing to say. I liked short hair since it made me look masculine, but my mom didn’t want me “ruining” my nice hair at that age. I don’t think she ever caught on.

Back