• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

disease exposure

Have you ever had the chicken pox?

• Yes

Votes: 23 41.1%
  • No

Votes: 26 46.4%
  • Not sure

Votes: 7 12.5%

• Total voters

cornimer

grab acorns 'til you're delirious
Bells
Island
Crayola
Pink Balloon
Green Balloon
Pink Balloon
Green Balloon
Pink Balloon
Space Whale Plush
Splat Easter Egg
Green Fair Pinwheel
Kaleidoclover
Flower Glow Wand
Have you ever had chicken pox? I haven't, and when I was in school, I only knew one person who got it.

When I told this to one of my coworkers recently (who is 10 years older than me), she was SHOCKED because she said when she was a kid, everyone had it. She couldn't fathom someone not having experienced chicken pox, lol.

smh I didn't even get silver for making this ridiculous thread 😔

No, I am pretty sure I got vaccinated for it when I was a child? I'm not completely sure, but I think so.

Yes I've had the chicken pox when I was in the 3rd grade. Both me and my sister got really sick from it.

Thankfully I have not, I’ve had my vaccinations for it. I can’t really remember anyone at my schools having it either, but I do know one of my friends did as a kid?

i had it really bad when i was little apparently. i have no recollection of it though

yes I’ve had it. I can’t remember how old I was though, but I’m pretty sure every kid I knew back then got it. If I remember correctly they use to tell us that if you don’t get chicken pox when you’re a kid it would be dangerous for you as an adult so everyone wanted the chicken pox lol. but I’m pretty sure it’s different now that people can just get the vaccine.

Reactions: oak
yes I’ve had it. I can’t remember how old I was though, but I’m pretty sure every kid I knew back then got it. If I remember correctly they use to tell us that if you don’t get chicken pox when you’re a kid it would be dangerous for you as an adult so everyone wanted the chicken pox lol. but I’m pretty sure it’s different now that people can just get the vaccine.
Yeah this is what they always said to us, my uncle got it as an adult and he had it really badly. I didn’t know there was a vaccine

I have! My siblings and I all suffered through it together. We were kids. It sucks though cause the vaccine didn't exist at the time or else we would've gotten it. Chicken pox sucked. Itchy ***** mosquito type spots everywhere... and I mean EVERYWHERE.

I never got it, so that's good.

I did get the Swine Flu and Covid, however...

just saying adults who haven't had it really should get vaccinated against it, chicken pox as an adult is waaaaaay worse than as a child!

My siblings got it, but I was born after the vaccine became widespread, so never suffered from it myself.

For context, Varicella (Chicken Pox) vaccine was approved for use in the US in 1995; as of 2005, it is combined into something called the MMRV which is a combination vaccine against measles, mumps, rubella and varicella for ages 1 and up.

As I was born a good number of years before 1995, I had to deal with Chicken Pox as a toddler and it was miserable.
All the bumps and itching and fevers... it was a delirious week that pushed my poor mom to tears on my behalf.
My little sister never suffered from it, thankfully. And neither did my kids.

I loved studying immunology and worked in vaccines for quite a while-- people can say what they want against "big pharma" but once you understand the science and necessity of it, there's really no need to fear things that you can understand. I'm not saying all drug companies are altruistic and not profit-mongers, but I absolutely advocate for science education and making informed decisions.

Sorry I stood on a public health soapbox-- I will step down now and let the silver harvesting continue...

EDIT: back on the soapbox for a few seconds--
Look up Shingles.
Please get vaccinated as an adult, if you haven't had the vaccine-- during chicken pox, the virus can take residence in your spine and basically hide from the immune system and remain latent for years. And then resurface as shingles. It's fascinating to learn, but not to live through!

EDIT 2: Herpes Zoster Shingles, not like... roof shingles...

Last edited:
For context, Varicella (Chicken Pox) vaccine was approved for use in the US in 1995; as of 2005, it is combined into something called the MMRV which is a combination vaccine against measles, mumps, rubella and varicella for ages 1 and up.

As I was born a good number of years before 1995, I had to deal with Chicken Pox as a toddler and it was miserable.
All the bumps and itching and fevers... it was a delirious week that pushed my poor mom to tears on my behalf.
My little sister never suffered from it, thankfully. And neither did my kids.

I loved studying immunology and worked in vaccines for quite a while-- people can say what they want against "big pharma" but once you understand the science and necessity of it, there's really no need to fear things that you can understand. I'm not saying all drug companies are altruistic and not profit-mongers, but I absolutely advocate for science education and making informed decisions.

Sorry I stood on a public health soapbox-- I will step down now and let the silver harvesting continue...

EDIT: back on the soapbox for a few seconds--
Look up Shingles.
Please get vaccinated as an adult, if you haven't had the vaccine-- during chicken pox, the virus can take residence in your spine and basically hide from the immune system and remain latent for years. And then resurface as shingles. It's fascinating to learn, but not to live through!

EDIT 2: Herpes Zoster Shingles, not like... roof shingles...
Just looked it up and we don’t even get vaccinated for it as babies in the UK - I just had an MMR not MMRV 🤔

Just looked it up and we don’t even get vaccinated for it as babies in the UK - I just had an MMR not MMRV 🤔
It was probably separated as it's own vaccine -- there are other names for Varicella vaccine uhhhh...
In the UK it might be called VARIVAX or VARILRIX.

It was probably separated as it's own vaccine -- there are other names for Varicella vaccine uhhhh...
In the UK it might be called VARIVAX or VARILVAX.
“The chickenpox vaccine is not part of the routine childhood vaccination schedule.

It's currently only offered on the NHS to people who are in close contact with someone who's particularly vulnerable to chickenpox or its complications.”
Never thought I’d learn this from conversations here 😂

“The chickenpox vaccine is not part of the routine childhood vaccination schedule.

It's currently only offered on the NHS to people who are in close contact with someone who's particularly vulnerable to chickenpox or its complications.”
Never thought I’d learn this from conversations here 😂
Well, TIL also. The incidence rate is probably a lot lower over there. XD

Back