• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Ever been to a sugar shack?

Ever been to a sugar shack?

• Yes

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • What is a sugar shack?

Votes: 20 66.7%
  • Just eating maple taffee at home

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters

Aniko

Bells
White Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
Golden Watering Can
White Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
Red Cosmos
White Cosmos
Red Cosmos
White Cosmos
Red Cosmos
Spring is coming, it's warmer outside in the day but nights are still cold, it's maple syrup time!

1710434552851.png

Traditionally a sugar shack looked like that, my great grandfather had one similar and his family produced maple syrup for decades but times changed and with new technologies, those little shacks are now rare and mostly just for decorations. I never went to the new ones, just not the same vibe, now it looks more like family restaurants, a bit too expensive. They are trying to make something fancy with food that used to be cheap.

So let me tell you how it used to be in my neck of woods.

When I was little we were going to the sugar shack in a horse drawn sleight, there was no roads just a small path, it was usual to lose one or two kids on the way, I don't know why, each year at least one kid fell from the sleight, but there was so much snow that nobody got hurt.

First thing we were doing once there, was to inspect the buckets of maple water (now it's hoses), like on the photo. We were told not to drink the water so naturally the first thing we did was to ....drink it .....and then getting stuck on the crime scene because we're just small beans 🫘 in one meter of snow.

In the shack it was dark and steamy, also very humid, it's where they boiled the maple water several times to make, syrup, taffee and various kinds of sugars

1710437030226.png

There were also picnic tables inside were we could eat traditional dishes like pea soup, beans, ham and eggs, and fried pork rinds and people were pouring maple syrup on everything. Too much sugar for me. To be honest I was just there for the taffee which is already very sweet.

Then it was taffee time ! Maple taffee is a soft ball boiled maple syrup poured on the snow, then you take a stick or wooden spoon and roll it to a lollipop. We were told not to eat the snow, so naturaly...
1710438054204.png

1710438359984.png

Then we came back home with a belly ache because of all the snow eaten and sticky hair, because it's not really sugar shack if you don't have maple taffee in your hair and on your clothes.

Misconceptions about Canadian maple syrup :

-It's not cheaper in Canada, it cost around $8-10 a can of 500ml

-There are different grades and qualities and the taste change with the years and even within weeks in the same season

-We export our best maple syrup (how silly)

-What they sell in groceries is the worst, super low quality

-People who knows that buy it directly from their favorite sugar shack once a year, like now, but it's better to order before the season because they have limited stock. After, it's too late, you have to wait for the next year. Big producers may still have some though.

You can make your own maple taffee boiling maple syrup to 240F/116C and let it cool down (ask Google for recipe)

(photos from internet)

i didn't know what it was but now that I've read your post it is on my bucket list of places to visit

I don't think I have, even though they're super common here! I love maple syrup, so I'm hoping to go to a sugar shack (or "cabane à sucre", as it's called in Quebec) someday. 🍁

Lemme guess, you're Canadian too, eh?

YES! They're so cool! I've been to a bunch for school trips and my great uncle used to own one. It's crazy how much sap is needed for such a tiny bit of syrup but goodness is it ever good! And you're very right about price. Real maple syrup is suuuppper expensive compared to the crappy ms buttersworth syrup (I can't even eat that stuff anymore, yucky!) but it's worth buying. It's very delicious! Such a different and sweeter taste.

Have you ever had the maple candies? Not the sucky ones but the fudge sugar type ones:
They're my FAV. You instantly feel the sugar rushing through your veins. It's an experience.

1710442917786.png

I don't think I have, even though they're super common here! I love maple syrup, so I'm hoping to go to a sugar shack (or "cabane à sucre", as it's called in Quebec) someday. 🍁
Oh a compatriot! :)
Post automatically merged:

Lemme guess, you're Canadian too, eh?

YES! They're so cool! I've been to a bunch for school trips and my great uncle used to own one. It's crazy how much sap is needed for such a tiny bit of syrup but goodness is it ever good! And you're very right about price. Real maple syrup is suuuppper expensive compared to the crappy ms buttersworth syrup (I can't even eat that stuff anymore, yucky!) but it's worth buying. It's very delicious! Such a different and sweeter taste.

Have you ever had the maple candies? Not the sucky ones but the fudge sugar type ones:
They're my FAV. You instantly feel the sugar rushing through your veins. It's an experience.

View attachment 543326
Another compatriot?

Yes I know those candies but I rarely have those, it makes my blood sugar spike lol

In my place we have fresh snow and afternoons are sunny, makes me crave some

Last edited:
Oh a compatriot! :)
Post automatically merged:

Another compatriot?

Yes I know those candies but I rarely have those, it makes my blood sugar spike lol

In my place we have fresh snow and afternoons are sunny, makes me crave some
Absolutely I am! Oh, you have snow right now? Here in Ontario it's been a really weird winter. We've had snow but not as much as normal and it seems to melt right away. Odd stuff.

Absolutely I am! Oh, you have snow right now? Here in Ontario it's been a really weird winter. We've had snow but not as much as normal and it seems to melt right away. Odd stuff.
Same here in Quebec, we didn't have much snow either (at least in my area), we didn't have snow in December, January was gray almost every day, January is usually cold but sunny, most of the snow fell this past weekend.

I’m not Canadian nor do I venture out in forests so I have never heard of it or been to one. Still wouldn’t go, maple syrup isn’t my thing.

went to one when i went to quebec in 2019! after eating some traditional dishes and doing some square dancing, we made maple taffy, which was sooo good! i think we got pretty lucky because we went just before maple syrup season ended 😁 i'd go again for sure!

View attachment 543326
omg,, i got a box of these as a little treat for the bus ride back home and dear GOD these are amazing. i should have brought more boxes because i LOVE them 😭

No but I have been to a little gift shop at a farm that produces it. It was a little wooden building kind of like that. They had maple ice cream and those maple candies, which didn’t sound that appetizing to me at first but it wasn’t bad!

As a fellow Canadian you bet I have! There’s one actually quite close to where I live. Real fresh maple syrup is the best!

No but I have been to a little gift shop at a farm that produces it. It was a little wooden building kind of like that. They had maple ice cream and those maple candies, which didn’t sound that appetizing to me at first but it wasn’t bad!
What I like from those shops are the mini cones with maple taffy (really sweet) and maple flavored cotton candy.

No but I'd like to! I found out about them last I was in Canada looking up where I should get maple syrup to bring back home, but I don't think any were open at the time. I'm going back in a couple weeks so hopefully this will be my chance!

I chose the "What is a sugar shack?" option! I did Google it, and it just showed me a bunch of candy stores! 😅 I really enjoyed learning from you what a sugar shack is, and about maple taffy!

Back