• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

disease exposure

Have you ever had the chicken pox?

• Yes

Votes: 23 41.1%
  • No

Votes: 26 46.4%
  • Not sure

Votes: 7 12.5%

• Total voters
I'm not sure. I think I had it as a child so I think I might have been vaccinated.

I did have chicken pox as a child. I don't remember the discomfort of going through it, though I do remember calamine lotion. Don't love that the virus stays dormant in your body and can return in adulthood in the form of shingles; a friend of mine recently had shingles and it was reportedly miserable.

I never got chicken pox, although one of my brothers did. I definitely grew up in that time when people had "chicken pox parties" and all that, but I ended up getting the vaccine when I turned 16.

I agree with Renn & please get vaccinated, shingles is no joke!
There's also a shingles vaccine (Shingrix) that adults can get and I highly recommend. You can and should get it even if you had chicken pox or if you already had the varicella vaccine!

I remember wanting to get the varicella vaccine as a teen because apparently if you get chicken pox while you're pregnant it's also no good.
I'd much rather get a brief shot in the arm than live through weeks of itchy h*ll or worse, the burning shooting nerve pain that comes with shingles!

I got it when I was 6 years old. While my brother was in bed with fever, I was outside in the snow in my pajama too happy not having to go to school.

No vaccine in the UK so almost everyone has had it.

I had it in the mid-90s. Awful case - it was in my ears, mouth, on my scalp, etc. I couldn't stand the constant itching.

I'm not sure. I definitely got vaccinated against everything, but I think I have a very blurry memory of having chicken pox?

my mom swore i did when i was a baby but both of my sisters said no, never
so i don't think i ever had chicken pox, i have the vaccines tho

I’ve never had chicken pox, nor have I ever met anyone who’s had it, either. My dad might’ve had it when he was a kid, but he doesn’t 100% remember.

I was vaccinated against it as soon as I could be, and I’ve stayed up to date on all of my vaccinations, so hopefully I’ll never have to deal with chicken pox (or any other similar contagious diseases). 🤞🏻

Yes we all got Chicken Pox as children. There were no vaccines than.
Later as an Adult I had a mild case of Shingles and it was painful. It was just a small area near my ribs. Got the Shingles Vaccine in my 50s.

I've had it, I have a scar under my chest from it from picking at it when I was little. I honestly get shocked too when I hear someone say the've never had it, that's kind of bad! If you get it as an adult, it can be fatal if you didn't have it as a kid. At least, that's my understanding of it.

I dunno, honestly. I know some of us (me & my siblings) got it, and a couple didn't. But I don't think my mom remembers which if us had it and which didn't.

But we sure were all exposed to it, repeatedly. I'm from the chicken pox party generation. If a kid had chicken pox, all the other moms brought the kids together. It was supposed to be better to have it as a child, and no vaccine existed for it. But hey, we got smallpox vaccines!

I had chicken pox in primary school! I was never vaccinated against it because it was introduced into the childhood immunisation program for my area after I had already been exposed, and I wasn't within the right age limit for vaccination when it was introduced.

I had it as a kid, it wasn't too bad of an experience for me from what I remember but I am aware of the possibility of shingles so that part sucks. I'm actually happy how many people in here haven't had it! Thanks modern medicine 💉

Yes, I got chicken pox when I was 14-15 and it was the sickest I've ever been! I was off school for 3 weeks with it. I had sores everywhere; in my mouth and down my throat which made it painful to eat anything. Lost about 5kgs because I couldn't or didn't want to eat. I've still got scarring from it, however it has faded a lot over the years.

I don't think I ever got the vaccine for it. Not sure if it's part of the routine vaccines when you're very young here. I did however get the measles vaccine after I had chicken pox...worst mistake of my life lol. Should've gotten it when I was 11 like I was supposed to but I was too scared of needles 🥲

• Hug
Reactions: Doo
Yes, I had chicken pox when I was 6, I believe. It's honestly hard for me to recall how the experience was these days, I just remember being very itchy, lol.

Twice.
The 90s were different timeson many levels. Plus I was around my cousins who were all around the same age all the time.

No, I was vaccinated as a kid (at least partially?) and have been vaccinated again as an adult. I'm in a medical field and had to get proof of vaccines for my clinicals, but couldn't find proof of both steps of chickenpox. I had to then do a titer, which showed I didn't have immunity, so I got the series again last year. I should be super protected now, haha.

Back