• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What do you think about the music from New Horizons now?

Has your opinion on the music of New Horizons changed?

• Yes, in a way that I like it now

Votes: 13 8.3%
  • No, I still dislike it

Votes: 52 33.1%
  • Yes, I initially liked it but grew annoyed by it

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • No, I still liked it in the first place

Votes: 43 27.4%
  • It really depends on each soundtrack

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 4 2.5%

• Total voters
Don't get me wrong, it is repetitive, but I've always liked it! It is the same melody, but they switch up to where it's actually quite enjoyable. The evening tunes ESPECIALLY are very well done, and truly put the player at ease :)

I feel like I have a lot to say about the music so here it goes...

When I first heard the hourly tracks I had very mixed feelings. It was a strange choice to use the main theme's melody in basically every single one. I guess they really wanted it to be stuck in your head (for me, they succeeded). I also wasn't expecting the tracks to be quite so upbeat and funky, so coming to terms with that took a little bit longer. Then of course, before I even heard the hourly music, I was stuck hearing the pre-resident services building music which was again, another strange choice.

Now, just about ten months since release, I have found I enjoy all the hourly music and have actually grown fairly nostalgic for the pre-resident services track. I praise NH for having a large variety of tempos and instruments used...even if some instruments are used way more than others. It was a bold choice to have the music be the way it is, but I enjoy the homages to hourly music of past games with songs like 5am and 6pm through the use of piano and accordion. Finally, I do think a lot of these tracks give off summer-y vibes, which is awesome in the summer, but feels strange in the winter. Off the topic of hourly tracks, this goes especially for the Nook Miles Islands' music.

The rainy day variations of the hourly tracks, in my opinion, are superior to the normal versions. I do miss the chimes they used in past games for the rainy day variations, but what they did here with the...claves(?) (not sure what instrument is used), does work. It just works differently. The snowy day variations I am a little bit disappointed in. Here is where they kept things consistent with other games' snowy day variations...but somehow did it worse. The chimes are way too loud and instead of replacing certain instruments they just are layered on top of them. It seems lazy to me.

All of this being said, I wouldn't want the NH hourly tracks to be replaced with any older games' hourly tracks. I've said it before, but each games' hourly tracks really fit the vibe of that particular game. I don't find NH to be as comfy, cozy as NL, and to me that's okay, but more relevantly, the NL tracks would just be out of place in NH. There are videos online of people hacking and replacing the NH music with NL's and for me it doesn't work.

Alright, one more paragraph. All the other music outside of the hourly tracks I think are absolute BANGERS. They're so good! I remember first hearing the Resident Services and Airport tracks and loving them right away. The touch-ups they did to the holiday tracks are perfection. The New Year's Eve and Day tracks were on another level of amazing. I wish the hourly tracks were like these in terms of how subjectively good they are.

All done! One last thing for anyone still reading, a long while ago I posted a survey to see how people were liking the NH hourly tracks and if you never took it, I'd be thrilled if you did! You can find my thread on it right HERE.

Last edited:
I am one of the few who voted 'undecided' and I really am. At first - and having never played a previous AC game - I was pretty annoyed by it especially the repetition of it all - and so I tried to embrace the "change island tune" vocoder ... which is really ridiculous and I can't believe they wasted so much programming time on it to be honest lol. It kind of came to a head for me at Halloween time when I REALLY REALLY wanted some real spooky music to go with the decorations and spent hours and hours placing speakers in every nook and cranny (no game pun intended) so I could play the closest thing to spooky they had to offer - KK's Dirge. After a short while of dealing with the strange cutting in and out between Dirge and the island music I got sick of it and I wrote it off and stopped messing with trying to actually enjoy the music. Now I just put on what I like in each room of my own house and I guess I'm a conformist now - doing what big daddy NTDO intended for me to do. After reading some of the comments in this thread I do think just a subtle piano background music would be much better than what we have currently. At the same time the tunes are catchy and I find myself humming them throughout the day.

Especially during snowy winter days I think a lot of the ost just doesn't fit.
I don't hate it to, maybe 1 or 2 really annoy me, but a lot I can appreciate. I just don't think it's very immersive.

I suppose I'm very neutral overall. I love the 3am (edit: might be the 2am) music, but the 4am music sounds more like it belongs in a Carry On movie than it does an AC game. Other tracks haven't left much of an impact on me, and I don't pay too much attention to them as a result.

I dont think its bad, but they just dont get any feelings out of me, every previous AC game songs were so unique, every hourly music had a different vibe. But New Horizons... It just feels every song is the same. I believe they tried a more relaxing beachy beat to the songs so it would fit the chill AC experience, but it turned out meh.

I still dislike it. Now I play with the sound off. In some places I blast KK music to drown out the hourly music because its become so annoying to listen to all the time. Even some tracks like 5 pm are no longer interesting to me.
The music has grown on me but I still prefer playing games with my own music or with the sound off entirely. After not playing the game for a long time I do have a sense of mini-nostalgia so once I begin my new game I'll play with the sound on for a while.

I don't complain much about NH because I enjoy so much about it, but the music is the only thing I have a real issue with and it sadly hasn't grown on me. There are a couple of tracks I really like, such as the New Year's music at 2AM and during the day, but the hourly tracks are disappointing in my honest opinion and really don't live up to how iconic the other games' OSTs are.

Personally, I enjoy it, especially the afternoon and evening music. Then again, it's my first and only Animal Crossing game, so I might be biased.

I was disappointed when the game first came out, but now I don't mind most of them too much. I never hated any of them per se, but I just loved the older music so much more, especially ww and nl (although that is very biased because those are the ones I owned.)

I never really minded the NH soundtrack. It's not my favorite, I'm not hugely in love with it and can definitely understand the dislike. I can find something to like in all of the soundtracks, though of course I still have favorites. :) My favorite AC soundtrack is Wild World, for sure, but I do really love tracks from all the games!

I mean, I still prefer the NL hourly soundtrack to NH, but I ain't saying I hate one over the other. NH's music is just as good, though there are some hit and misses between the two.

I said this in a different thread, but it’s good and overhated. I see how some songs from the game are bad, but a lot of them are pretty decent.

Depends on the soundtrack for me. Honestly, even after 3+ years of playing ACNH, I'm still not all that familiar with each hourly track because they blur together for me, but I believe the 6pm and 2am track are ones I liked. Overall though I'm still not a fan because they don't feel varied enough for me. I genuinely can't recall any other hourly tracks off of the top of my head other than the two I mentioned. I think I put the same amount of hours into ACNL and ACNH too, if not ACNH might be slightly above, yet the ACNL tracks were way more easy for me to recall and felt very distinct.

The longer I have played this game, the more I realized how bad the music is. I’m not a fan of this summer garage band style music. I liked New Leaf’s music more for matching the time of the day. And about the rain music, I prefer the jingles over the rain dance percussion addition.

I got bored of the soundtrack very quick. Definitely not as memorable as New Leaf's, despite me putting way more hours into this game. These days, I just blare 70's and 80's yacht rock from my computer when I play, as I find that old stuff much more appealing to me.

I don't mind the music I mostly play with the sound down extremely low or off so most of the time I don't even hear it.

But when I do I don't mind either way

I genuinely can't replay the music from this game in my head despite being active in NH off and on since its release. When I think about the AC soundtrack, I hear the music from Wild World, 17 years ago. That . . . tells me something about how much the older games captured an atmosphere with the music. In WW, and to a lesser degree in NL, I felt like the music was contributing to an environment of immersion and relaxation, with a touch of melancholy. In NL it feels like the soundtrack's goal is to disappear.

I liked the music :)
I am just not a fan of the 2AM one.

My favorites are 9AM, 5PM, 3AM, and 4AM <333

Back