• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What do you think about the music from New Horizons now?

Has your opinion on the music of New Horizons changed?

• Yes, in a way that I like it now

Votes: 13 8.3%
  • No, I still dislike it

Votes: 52 33.1%
  • Yes, I initially liked it but grew annoyed by it

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • No, I still liked it in the first place

Votes: 43 27.4%
  • It really depends on each soundtrack

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 4 2.5%

• Total voters

Shellzilla_515

F1 fan who loves onions
Bells
Switch
4129-2347-0028
Blue Hybrid Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
Red Hyacinth
Yellow Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
Golden Watering Can
Yellow Hyacinth
I remember when the game was first released, people had mixed opinions about the game's soundtrack, especially during the early stages of the game. Various reasons include how repetitive it is, the style, or the use of instruments. To let you know, I was first introduced to the series through New Leaf so my opinion may be shaped differently from yours. Personally, it took a while for me to adjust to the music style of this game since it's mostly upbeat while New Leaf is pretty relaxing with its piano. I grew to appreciate the music that New Horizons had to offer, with the only exception being 2 PM (seriously, how did that annoying synth get through?). As time went on, I started to notice some people were starting to like the soundtrack. I then ask myself, did they finally give it a fair chance and actually like it?

Of course, music is subjective so we all have different opinions on this matter. I'd like to hear your thoughts whether you're starting to like New Horizons' music style or you're still not a fan of it. Just keep it civil around here and we're all good. :)

Still hate it just as much, and I still play mostly without sounds, or at least very low.

I still hate it. I was thinking of making a thread recently (but refrained because I've seen how defensive some people get about the soundtrack) about how Manaka Kataoka, one of the composers of Breath of the Wild, also worked on New Leaf and Wild World's soundtracks. I realise what I miss is the piano and emotion. She didn't work on NH's or ACGC's soundtrack and I can really hear a significant difference between these.

For me, the only songs worth listening to are:
  • 5am
  • 6am
  • 7am
  • 8am
  • 9am
  • 10am
  • 12pm
  • 5pm
  • 12am
  • 2am

The worst songs in the game are
  • 2pm
  • 6pm
  • 1am
  • 3am
  • 4am

I still dislike it. Now I play with the sound off. In some places I blast KK music to drown out the hourly music because its become so annoying to listen to all the time. Even some tracks like 5 pm are no longer interesting to me.

Last edited:
i put it depends but only because i like the 5am tune, especially in rain ♡
but i do hate every other piece of music, it just doesn't feel like animal crossing :(

I mean, I still enjoy it, but... I honestly don't have strong feelings about any video game music. I was shocked at how rabidly some people hated it- not because I loved it passionately, but because I've never felt passionately about music from ANY video game, it's just background noise. As long as it's reasonably pleasant (and I have yet to find a game that I remember where it wasn't), I don't really care about it. I mean... it's a video game. I'm not playing it to listen to music, I'm playing it to play a game. If you had told me this game uses the exact same music as ACNL or WW or any other, I would've believed you, because I don't pay that close attention.

But I guess that's just me 😛

I think i kind of still dislike it because i would like for it to be more relax and there is just something in the base of the music that comes off as too repetitive and too aggressive for my liking which is most noticeable during the night. However, what really makes me sad is the fact the music of the game over rides the atmospheric sounds, if that makes any sense to you, I wish i would fully enjoy the sound of wind, storms, snow, rain etc.

On the other hand i really enjoy the music of the events at least the ones we have had until now, found them super nice and appreciated that they had unique music, it also helps that the special music for those events seem to be much better than the daily music hehe

I liked it initially, but after playing for so long, it has become repetitive, which is to be expected. It was very refreshing to have different music on New Year's Day.

the tracks were fresh and new in the beginning but now they're meh. the only one I still really like is the 5 am track; it's so peaceful and serene cx

I still hate it. I was thinking of making a thread recently (but refrained because I've seen how defensive some people get about the soundtrack) about how Manaka Kataoka, one of the composers of Breath of the Wild, also worked on New Leaf and Wild World's soundtracks. I realise what I miss is the piano and emotion. She didn't work on NH's or ACGC's soundtrack and I can really hear a significant difference between these.
Well, those kinds of people that get really irked probably can't handle the opinions of others so I don't really blame you for being hesitant to make a thread. It sucks seeing that a lot of the people still dislike the music of NH, but I keep telling myself it's their opinion and there's nothing I could do to change that. Anyways, yeah, it's really the piano that's not only calming but also memorable. Perhaps Kataoka's music style isn't what Nintendo envisioned when making this game.

I like all the music except 2pm, the fishing/bug tourney music, and I really didn't like the music that played all day on January 1.

I've always been a fan of the music, not necessarily to a major extent but I have no problems with it. I do think it's a bit repetitive, but perhaps because I tend to play with the sound off anyway it doesn't bother me too much. the new year's day music was so lovely though!! I sometimes listen to the soundtrack (along with NL/general ac music) as background noise while doing schoolwork so I find it good for that at least

I still don't like it. It's way too repetitive from hour to hour and mostly boring. I liked the distinct tracks of New Leaf and previous titles. The only track I liked so far from NH was New Years Eve/Day.

It really does depend on the soundtrack for me. I love both 5 oclock songs, 12p, 3p, and 4a, especially. The others are pretty ok, but barely memorable compared to past hourly tracks. 3a is just as goofy in this game as it is in almost all the other games. 2p is like nails on a chalkboard to me, and I find myself actively avoiding playing at that hour just to avoid the song. Gamecube soundtrack tops all other games though, imo.

I do like it a lot more now, but compared to the older games it still isn't even close for me personally. Some songs are great, but the lead instrument of others is too intrusive (8 AM, 9 AM, e.g.). New Leaf's soundtrack used a lot of acoustic instruments, which I found much more fitting.

Locking music behind the status of your island was a terrible idea. They should had made it last only a day and then the Nook's somehow juryrig some kind of intercom system around the island to play music or whatever.

That was a really poor decision. I don't hate the music, but I also don't like it. Some tracks are better than others and some are just horrible. 2PM and 5PM take the cake.

I would say that I tolerate the music. There wasn't a option on the poll for that, but I just tolerate it at this point.

Someone on Youtube makes remixes/their own music for NH and I wish they were the composers. I love their 5PM funk rendition.
In this one, they spliced actual footage with their music. I don't know...this is the kind of music I was hoping for...the NH music is not bad, but it doesn't really capture the energy of Animal Crossing (to me)

Back