• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What do you do if you can’t sleep?

First, I'll try to think of something in really great detail. For example, I'll try to imagine a specific scene in my head or play out an imaginary conversation word by word. This takes so much mental effort that it often puts me to sleep. If that doesn't work, ASMR videos tend to knock me out pretty fast.

i usually use the racing mind nighttime SOS on headspace to help out to get to sleep, or if i can't fall asleep using that then i'll put a sleepcast on!! or taking deep breaths for 4, holding them for 4 and then releasing for 6 seconds. i do this about 4-5 times and then just return breaths to normal. counting down from 10,000 super slowly works too! ;u;

I hate tossing and turning at night... TBH I've resorted to sleeping pills
If I'm trying to go back to sleep and I can't sleep, I try to stay completely still and pray that I eventually fall asleep

i usually put on a long youtube video and let it play in the background while i close my eyes and attempt to fall asleep but if all else fails melatonin’s got my back 🫡

Lie in bed and continue not-really-daydreaming. I always felt like resting was more valuable than just not sleeping. Maybe I'm too old to stay awake for more than 24 hours.

I read. Sometimes that backfires, and I'll end up staying awake the rest of the night to finish the book.

Or I come to tbt and see if my cooldown is up. If it is, I'll make some posts, profile posts, reactions, etc. Then when cooldown hits again, i try to go back to sleep.

I notice if it's colder, I sleep better, usually the whole night through. A lot colder. My new favorite temp for sleeping is between 55-60. I discovered this went our heat went out one winter. Best sleep of my life.... it's hopeless in summer, though. Way too hot.

I hate it when this happens, but I usually just continue to lie in bed. Which never works, and I’m just stuck there contemplating my life for half an hour, or, if I’m super unlucky, more than an hour.

My neurologist tells me if I can't sleep, to get out of bed and do something that isn't extremely immersive (like reading a light book), until I feel tired again.

Sometimes I don't do that.. >_> I'm currently unemployed so I don't have a strictly set sleep schedule anymore. I stay up and sleep when I want; I know that's unhealthy, but.. I'm young, so I guess I better take advantage of it while I still can T^T

It's problematic when I can't (whoops, meant to remove that but it's too late) sleep late at night because I have school and my brain needs to function properly in order for me to get work done. In case that happens I just wait until I feel tired. Or go to the bathroom. I've thought about taking melatonin gummies a few times but I don't think I need those.

Last edited:
it depends, if i have stuff to do early in the morning i’ll stay in bed and try to empty my mind. if i don’t have anything too pressing then i might get up and play some puzzle video games to try to get sleepy.

I usually just watch YouTube, play a game on my phone, or come on here (though I haven't been real active due to AC burnout). It's 4:04AM at the moment and am practically wide awake. I woke up at like 2:30PM.

I stay up a bit longer and then try to go back to sleep. Depending on what time it is and if I have anything planned the next day, I’ll take some medicine that helps me sleep. Lately, I’ve been just staying up playing a game since I rather do something than getting depressed while trying to sleep because of racing thoughts.

In the past I used to listen to music but I don't do that a lot anymore. Now I prefer dark and quiet. Its usually late enough that if I just get in bed I fall asleep but sometimes I get insomnia because I think too much. If thats the case I usually just play video games until my mind is tired.

I'll put on music or try to listen to some soothing ASMR. If I'm struggling to sleep, it's because of stress, anxiety, or ruminating over negative thoughts, so I try to get myself out of my head or retreat further into it by focusing on a daydream before sleep.

I often find it really hard to just fall asleep and lie in bed wide awake for ages, when I reach a point where sleep just doesn't seem to be coming I'll usually get up and have a little walk around the house or go and do something else for a bit, like listening to calming music, watch a short episode of something or read a chapter from a book, in the hopes it will tire me out and then return to bed to try again.

Depends on why I can't sleep. If I'm hot, I'll set up like 5 fans in the room to get a wind vortex going.

If it's something else like stress etc, I just smoke some cannabis to relax.

Honestly I’ll put some YouTube videos on or talk with the bestie to burn some energy. He isn’t there 100% of the time when I’m trying to sleep but we’re only human.

But if I’m still feeling “not sleepy at all” yeah no I’m not gonna pretend to try and sleep because it’s just gonna make me sore. I usually resort to starting voice calls ngl.

i wish i was the type that could just lie in bed and wait to fall asleep again, but i can't fathom being alone with my thoughts especially at night idk i overthink and get sad if i do. i normally will try to watch something i've seen before to help lull me back to sleep, or try and read something till i get sleepy again. most of the time lately i just doom scroll on tiktok till i pass out again 💀

Back