• TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

Villagers that disappointed you?

Whitney. I love the way all of the wolves look and she definitely stood out (which makes sense due to her popularity) but interactions with her have been...boring? It seems like she’s never around the other villagers and somehow her dialogue feels more one-note than other snooties I’ve had like Diana and Vivian. I’ll still keep her around for now though.

Honestly the entire squid/octopus trio in game ended up disappointing me. When I first started playing new horizons, one of the popular animal crossing youtubers at the time had an obsession with the trio, and after looking at their design and seeing that you can have the whole species on your island while only using up 3 villager spaces, I decided I really had to have them on my island. I was extremely lucky with my nook mile tickets and got all of them within like 50 mystery island trips (my villager hunting luck has been pretty crazy), and so managed to get them all pretty early and achieve my dream. However, after a while I started to kind of dislike marina because she looked so bland and I don't really like normal villagers, and then a little while after that I started wanting to kick zucker out too because his house just lacked personality to me. In the end I kicked them all out into the void except zucker, who found a more loving home, and now my obsession has turned to wolfs. Except there's one key difference, and that's that my love for wolves will never change and they will always be the best species in the game for me, because they are just clearly superior /s.
I also got all of them (marina 2x) when I first went island hopping within 37 tickets. The octopi are actually easier to find than others because the game rolls species first and there's only 3 of them

edit: and I didn't take any of them

I also got all of them (marina 2x) when I first went island hopping within 37 tickets. The octopi are actually easier to find than others because the game rolls species first and there's only 3 of them

edit: and I didn't take any of them
To be honest, the only octopus that disappointed me is Zucker, and that’s because of this popularity and a video I watched in which the person speaking in it considered him creepy. Though I like Marina the most, I don’t want to see her on every island I visit.

Has to be Marina. I picked her up on an island because I wanted to give her a fair go and wasn't sure what to make of the octopus species, and knew she was popular (though I usually don't take this into account).
I now strongly dislike her. Came to dislike her design, she's very bland. Even my attempts to give her some new outfits didn't really do anything for me. This capped off when I gave her a giant ribbon, only to remember that she has a ribbon already on her character model, so she walked around for the next couple days with two ribbons on looking idiotic. I also was really not a fan of her house, exterior is pretty unexciting and the interior is just all pink everything and hurts to look at.
I also found her to be really inexpressive when just going about the island, I don't think the design of the octopus faces does them any favour in this regard, didn't think she emoted nearly as well as my other villagers.
On top of that, I can't stand when villagers sing, and she simply never stops. Every other time I walked past she was doing her best to violate KK Slider's discography with her horrid squeaking noises. Once I got her photo I resorted to hitting her to get her to sulk off and be quiet.
She was also always on the island with at least one other normal that I liked more, first Nan and then Molly. I don't like normal villagers much, their dialogue is very dull, so having more than one got pretty grating fast.
After she coughed up her photo I kicked her ASAP, just not for me at all, but I at least gave her a shot I guess.

Julian. We did not get along.

...I was actually the same with him in New Leaf. He was a random move in fairly early in game and I was a kid at the time and didn't really do forums much. I found his ego kinda annoying somewhat? And because I had Ed in CF he always looked really weird to me. Anyway, I eventually ended up joining an AC fb group just around the time his popularity hit its zenith, and wow, people literally wanted to visit my town just to take pictures with him. He was probably even more popular than Raymond is now, which is strange because he's not even a top ten villager these days. He wasn't bad, but was by far my poorest villager in my old NL town.

I got marina out of luck on a nook miles island and was excited because of how popular she was in the community but then she was honestly really boring and I ended up giving her to someone else

I try so hard to not hate jock villagers but I can't deny that I absolutely despise the fact that their only personality is working out - they don't mention their parents or old friends like other villagers... just muscles, muscles, muscles! I've never actively hated them as I've only had 2 so far but I just hate their dialogue.

I’m kinda feeling this with Lucky. I really wanted him because I have good memories of him from an older game, either Wild World or City Folk. I bought his Amiibo card along with a bunch of others.
But he’s been on my island over a month now and we are just not bonding. He’s usually in his house or nowhere to be found, and I never see him interacting with other villagers. Somehow his dialogue seems pretty boring compared to my other lazy, Sherb, and he has little emotion.

The main thing though is I think he used to be cuter in the older games when the model was a giant head on a tiny body. Now he’s kinda tall and human-looking, and with the red button-down shirt he has, kinda looks like a man who just escaped from the hospital or something.

Since I have his amiibo I’m probably gonna let him go eventually.

I have such a hard time not getting attached to villagers haha! It's kind of interesting to see how many people stopped liking certain ones because of videos they watched, or realizing they were popular... I agree there's something special about meeting them yourself, though.

I think for me, the villager I've been most disappointed with so far has been Octavian... I adore the octopuses but this game was my first time meeting him and I know he's a cranky villager but he's so unfriendly!! ;__; He'll probably be one of the next to go, for me...

I also have a bunch of amiibos on the way, so I'll see how I feel once I've used them to bring some new faces into town!

In NH, Winnie. I thought she was too cute and invited her to my island after finding her on an island tour, but ended up not liking her at all. She gave off weird vibes to me lol, and we just didn't click. So she moved out haha.

In NL Rudy and Bluebear were dreamies of mine that I got but ended up not liking them either. They rubbed me the wrong way and were overall kind of bland. This could be due to the fact that I got them when I was nearing the end of NL (meaning my town was pretty much done), and I wasn't playing as often so I perhaps didn't get a chance to "connect" with them.

To be honest, I’m kinda disappointed with the dialogue of villagers in ACNH, I much preferred the dialogue on ACNL, they were so unique and interesting, now I feel it’s a bit bland, but I still do love the game!

Celia and Goldie. They're cute, but their normal personalities are bland. So I think it's a case of their personalities being unappealing to me, rather than anything to do with how they look or act.

It's a pity. I'm finding it difficult to bond with the normal animal. I like having all the personalities on my island so I will try to always have one normal. But I'll probably cycle them out more often than the other personalities. Then again, there are a lot of normal animals in the game. It'll still be fun meeting those I've never had before in WW and NL.

I have two.
Raymond who looks nice, but he would not wear any of the cloths I gave him. None of my other villagers have been like that. Let him go because that and when he left he made some rude comment that I can not remember.. so yeah we aren't cool anymore.

And Hazel who I think is super cute, but her house really ruined it for me. I first got her thinking of her as some artsy type of person but she has sort of a gym teacher vibe going on with her house. And her default shirt was the workout outfit if I remember correctly.

Zucker. I have had three other lazies, and Sherb is the only one who seems to have any unique dialog. Zucker just repeats everything Cranston and Spork already said over the past few months. Plus, I get that his house is supposed to be a natsu matsuri and food stall, but his wallpaper and flooring is hideous. I was super disappointed in both his interior and exterior.

I also can't seem to help comparing him with Marina unfavorably. She's just a lot cuter, has happier eyes, etc. So I plan on getting rid of Zucker as soon as I get his photo.

dobie. i still love him but i don’t love him as much as i thought i would - he’s still great and is one of my favourite crankies but he’s no longer a permanent dream villager as i just,, don’t love him as much as i thought i would aha ;;

I gave in to the hype of Raymond and invited him as soon as I saw him on a mystery island. After a week or 2 I didn't feel attached to him and I really didn't want more than 2 smugs on my island so I let him go.

Sterling. My favorite villager. I was so stoked to find him so early on in the game! Then I saw his house. They changed his house from this beautiful ballroom to a creepy jailhouse. Couple that with him having the exercise hobby so twice the jock talk and you have a recipe for a ruined character. I still love him to bits (he wears almost everything I give him-when he’s not wearing a tracksuit) so he’s a keeper but if I get another island I’m hunting for him so he has the base jock room instead.

Sterling is my favourite too, I really like his jail house, but I do agree that the exercise hobby really ruins him, mostly because he almost never wears the armour I gave him since he's always in a tracksuit lifting weights... He hasn't disappointed me though, when he does wear the iron armour it goes perfectly with his helmet, and I still like seeing him around town!

For me my disappointing villager is probably Tucker. He's sweet and all, but he's just not as good as I was expecting. I love the concept but yeah... I'm hoping he grows on me more

Back