• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Unpopular gaming opinions

tbh ive become somewhat tired of pokemon simply because of the mega evolutions i find that they were really unnecessary but younger kids probably love it

the main pokemon series is starting the feel redundant for the first time to me. XY and ORAS took me so long to beat when it used to take me around 4 days to finish a game.

i think its because ive been playing fanmade pokemon games like zeta/omicron and insurgence, where ive been indulging in challenge runs like nuzlocke and randomizer. i know you can do nuzlockes in the real games but its so much better to have them be supported by the game. there is too close to zero challenge element in these games now to make them interesting.

im still fine with mystery dungeon and ranger though.

Apparently this is an unpopular gaming opinion to a lot of people, but I guess maybe not to others on here. Anyways...

I think Nintendo is the best gaming company out there. They do honestly make the best games. Their ideas are so fresh and unique and it always really angers me that people say they make games for "kids". Like... Their games are aimed at for ALL audiences! I know so many fans of Nintendo of all ages.

What I do find ridiculous though is how people will moan about how Nintendo always stick to the same formula when making games. Like, people complain about how Nintendo have made so many Mario games. Well, the reason they have is because it's selling well and people enjoy it?! So why would they not carry on making more? And it's not like other game companies aren't guilty of this. I can name a few examples off of the top of my head. Like Final Fantasy. Admittedly they do change up the characters and etc but still, it is like the same sort of thing over and over. :\ I do like Final Fantasy by the way, I'm just stating an example. It's so utterly ridiculous.

And really if people think I am childish for enjoying Nintendo games, then so be it. They are the games that I find the most fun and enjoyable. And if they want to carry on playing their same old generic shooter games, then fine by me. They all look the same anyway. At least Nintendo are making new and unique games that aren't like anything else (eg: Splatoon!).

I don't like the separation and categorization of casual and hardcore gamers. I feel that all people interested in video games, no matter what the genre or frequency of playtime, or gender, should not be discounted or excluded from gaming or looked down on. I actually came across a person who had claimed Nintendo games were not real games, and that anyone who played them weren't actually gamers, because they took no skill. It's one of the strangest arguments I've ever seen. Gaming can be skillful and competitive, but it is also a hobby that can be enjoyed by anyone for any reason. Furthermore it was also argued that the majority of female gamers only played casual games such as Nintendo titles and Candy Crush, and were therefore not considered "real gamers." To which I have to say...most males, especially on deviantART, seem to display a passion and near obsession for Nintendo and Sega titles themselves, so...wouldn't that make most people casuals then?

I hate the direction they took with pokemon.

I think that a significant portion of gamers that are female are not good or play games that are targeted at them that require little to no skills i.e. Animal Crossing, The Sims, Certain MMOs

(for context, I'm also a female)

. They do honestly make the best games. Their ideas are so fresh and unique and it always really angers me that people say they make games for "kids". Like... Their games are aimed at for ALL audiences! I know so many fans of Nintendo of all ages.

Yes.. a lot of their games are for younger audiences, at least here in the west. If you look to a ton of the Japan-exclusive releases you can find more "mature" games such as JRPG, dating sims, visual novels etc. Due to their damn region locking not a lot of those make it here as for the more mature games, and if they do it takes AGES or handled very discreetly such as Senran Kagura(the first one, the one coming this summer got some attention because boob-mousepad), Code of Princess etc. and the distro is most of the time very bad, like physical for one region and digital for the other or digital for both which means you can't really import unless you have a console for each region.

And most of time they make the market with steady, more child-friendly games like their usual Mario or Pok?mon, which, sure can appeal to all ages but it gets kinda tiring if they do the same thing all over again. Therefore I applaud them for Splatoon which I won't be able to get but the idea looks good I love the character design. Yeah, their usual tries get boring indeed.

Also, if you compare it to PS Vita or any other region-free console, you can import game and create your personal taste-library rather than sticking to few out (both consoles requites money of course). Sure they pull a lot of digital shenanigans here too you can always import unless you care a crapton for the DLC.

I don't think people playing them are childish, I just think Nintendo is too family-friendly outside Japan.

I think that a significant portion of gamers that are female are not good or play games that are targeted at them that require little to no skills i.e. Animal Crossing, The Sims, Certain MMOs

(for context, I'm also a female)

I don't think that is an opinion, but more just a fact. :\ Although that is just because those games appeal more to a more female demographic and are much more relaxing. I mean the first game I ever played was Animal Crossing for the Gamecube. It was just an easy way to get into playing videogames, since I suppose whenever I watched my dad play them they looked really difficult, so that's also probably why other females choose to play games like that. Also, the more "hardcore" shooter-y sort of games just wouldn't appeal to females either for obvious reasons. They aim for male demographics. That is literally the only reason why. But on the other hand, there are definitely a lot more females who play videogames than you would assume... Like it's 50/50 on either side, now. So that's why I find it ridiculous when people say that videogames are an exclusively male hobby. Because it isn't. There are games out there for everyone.

Also, I would say that Animal Crossing does take a bit of skill, in my opinion. xD Like having the patience and time to lay-out your town and design it, save up Bells to buy things, and etc... Yeah, I would say whilst it may not seem skilful in the techniques and how you play the game, but rather it's a game that allows you to really express your creativity more than anything. And not many people out there are very creative!

I don't think that is an opinion, but more just a fact. :\ Although that is just because those games appeal more to a more female demographic and are much more relaxing. I mean the first game I ever played was Animal Crossing for the Gamecube. It was just an easy way to get into playing videogames, since I suppose whenever I watched my dad play them they looked really difficult, so that's also probably why other females choose to play games like that. Also, the more "hardcore" shooter-y sort of games just wouldn't appeal to females either for obvious reasons. They aim for male demographics. That is literally the only reason why. But on the other hand, there are definitely a lot more females who play videogames than you would assume... Like it's 50/50 on either side, now. So that's why I find it ridiculous when people say that videogames are an exclusively male hobby. Because it isn't. There are games out there for everyone.

Also, I would say that Animal Crossing does take a bit of skill, in my opinion. xD Like having the patience and time to lay-out your town and design it, save up Bells to buy things, and etc... Yeah, I would say whilst it may not seem skilful in the techniques and how you play the game, but rather it's a game that allows you to really express your creativity more than anything. And not many people out there are very creative!

The thing also that bothers me about this argument is that a very large portion of males also play more casual games as as whole, but nobody ever tells them they aren't "real gamers." The casual argument only ever is made when it involves females. Casual is just a term to further separate players and form barriers between genders. The fact that you're automatically excluded if you don't find enjoyment in or aren't automatically good at skill specific games or shooters is ridiculous criteria. If this is the case, all males who cannot get through games like Dark Souls should be considered mere casuals and not "true gamers". Stop the labeling of people who are trying to enjoy a hobby, no matter how good they are at it or what they choose to play.

EDIT: Should also mention that my comment was directed more at the one you'd replied to Celeste, I thought it would show up for some reason when I quoted yours. So I hope you don't think I necessarily disagreed with YOUR post, I was just commenting on casual gameplay in general. :)

Last edited:
The thing also that bothers me about this argument is that a very large portion of males also play more casual games as as whole, but nobody ever tells them they aren't "real gamers." The casual argument only ever is made when it involves females. Casual is just a term to further separate players and form barriers between genders. The fact that you're automatically excluded if you don't find enjoyment in or aren't automatically good at skill specific games or shooters is ridiculous criteria. If this is the case, all males who cannot get through games like Dark Souls should be considered mere casuals and not "true gamers". Stop the labeling of people who are trying to enjoy a hobby, no matter how good they are at it or what they choose to play.

EDIT: Should also mention that my comment was directed more at the one you'd replied to Celeste, I thought it would show up for some reason when I quoted yours. So I hope you don't think I necessarily disagreed with YOUR post, I was just commenting on casual gameplay in general. :)

Oh no, I totally agree with you! I think we should all be allowed to enjoy playing videogames and not feel pressurised into being a "real gamer". A real gamer is surely someone who enjoys just playing games, REGARDLESS of whether they take it seriously or not, and also their gender. And you are right it seems to be less aimed at males than females. I think it is because GENERALLY speaking, males tend to be quite defensive over "male exclusive" hobbies such as gaming or football or stuff like that, and as soon as a girl tries to play it, it's like blasphemous! How dare they enjoy something that /I/ like! :x LOL. Even though any hobby should not be gender exclusive.

Zelda and Link.
I do not ship it, but pretty much everyone else does. I see cosplay's, fan-art, I see Zelda themed weddings with Zelda as bride and Link as the groom. Its nice that people enjoy LoZ in their own way. While I do think that its strange for most people to act as if Link and Zelda are canon.

Time Traveling in AC.
Most people consider it cheating but I don't. I don't see any problem with Time traveling unless its the weeding problems and villager moving out if you fast forward a month or something. I think its something that just makes it a lot easier to play the game since not everyone has the time to play it all times of the day, in all seasons.

Last edited:
Every fantasy MMORPG thing ever is practically the same, why are there so many and why are there people to play every one

The artwork on the website is several times more attractive than the actual game
Freemium, freemium everywhere
A lot of them just throw you in without telling you what to do
Get some decent translators pls
The same classes, the same races, the same elements of gameplay, the same backstory formula
Most of your time spent is on grinding, partially because of the freemium
"oh look itz a durgin" "i fite u 1v1 m8" no

And don't even get me started on the "clash" things

Last edited:
I loved the game Quest 64. The music was great and the combat system was creative(wish you could've had an actual party instead of just your single character though and you had to grind a lot).
I also LOVED Castlevania 64 and Legacy of Darkness. Again, the music was to die for, the ambiance was great, and they're the closest portrayals of Dracula anything has come to the book's character.

Brawl and tr4sh suck. Melee was the last really good game to come out of the series. Sakurai doesn't know what he's doing in trying to make Smash a party game; if he simply didn't care about who played it, then everyone would play it like they did with Smash 64 and Melee. The only people who still like Melee is everybody who recognizes a longlasting competitive game. It's been around 14 years with nearly no corporate involvement. Brawl and tr4sh have nothing on it.

I loved the game Quest 64. The music was great and the combat system was creative(wish you could've had an actual party instead of just your single character though and you had to grind a lot)

Oh man I loved that game! I agree it was a huge grindfest but for it's time it was such a well done game, never understood why it never got popular.

This is the /unpopular/ opinion thread and I stated my opinion. You're adding invisible subtext to my post that was never there. I never said that it doesn't make them "real gamers", I said I believed a majority were actually not very good if you were to compare them to the male population. If the spread is truly 50/50 as the person above claims, then my opinion is pretty valid. That's not to say that ALL FEMALE GAMERS are bad. I don't know where you came up with the idea that I said only females are casual. Males are casual too if they play casual games. In my world and others around me, it's divided between casual and hardcore regardless of gender. I'm not 15, I've been part of the gaming community for many years both casually and crazy hardcore (talking over a decade) and I formed my opinion based on what I have seen. It's never divided by the sexes, just by skill. I just noted that in the vast amount of female players I've encountered I haven't seen as many skilled girls as I have boys. (Btw, Typically only people that actually are terrible pull out the "oh girls can't play games, get in the kitchen")

Back