• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Things you miss about New Leaf?

Trundle

Voted Best RPer (TBT Awards 2016)
Bells
Blue Hybrid Pansy
Golden Watering Can
Black Hybrid Rose
Black Hybrid Rose
Black Hybrid Rose
Black Hybrid Rose
Black Hybrid Rose
White Pansy
White Pansy
White Pansy
I booted up New Leaf for the first time today in many years. Call me crazy, but there are some pretty awesome things about NL over NH.

- I bought my first couple tools. After using them a little bit, I realized: THEY DON'T BREAK!
- The music is so good!
- The town does not feel nearly as empty as NH. Some would argue the extra space in NH is a good thing though.
- The shopping district feels so nice compared to what we have in NH

What about you?

The tool thing is my number one pet peeve about New Horizons. Every time a tool breaks, I roll my eyes and run as fast as possible to Nooks to buy a new one. Why??? It was 2020, why couldn't we get a game where tools don't break?

I also really miss the Emporium on main street. I was so excited to check every floor each and every day, to see what was for sale! Now all we get is a tiny little Nook's Cranny to walk in and out of lol!

Also, the fact that villager's pictures are not customizable, and each one has a different coloured frame and background, and I adored matching those pictures to the aesthetics in my houses. Now, in NH, the pictures are customizable so you can make them whatever colour you want, which, to me, takes away the individuality of the picture, if that makes sense.

Other than that, the other main things I miss are multiple furniture and clothing items that didn't make it to New Horizons.

I honestly miss everything about New Leaf except for villagers being able to randomly move out and having to plot reset every time a new villager moved in, but some of the main things I miss are:

☘︎ Tortimer’s Island! I can live without Club Tortimer, but Tortimer’s Island is the thing I miss the most from New Leaf. I had so much fun spending hours there farming rare fishes and beetles, and going on island tours. I also miss the island tours. I mostly did them by myself, but they were still fun; that’s testament to how cool they were.

☘︎ Playing hide-and-seek with my villagers. It was also cute when they’d ask you to bury a time capsule for them, and then dig it back up for them at a later date. Also also miss them asking for petition signatures.

☘︎ Main Street! It had such good vibes. It was so nice to have the majority of the buildings all in one place, and I loved that you could see some of your past villagers there!

☘︎ All of the smaller events like summer and winter solstice, April Fool’s Day etc!! The event face cut-outs at the plaza were so cute!!

☘︎ The part-time job minigame at The Roost

☘︎ Pelly, Phyllis, Pete and the Post Office. The postcard designs in New Horizons are really nice, but they’re honestly the only thing I like about the new postal system. I’ve never cared for Orville and Wilbur as NPCS much; they don’t have the same charm that Pelly and Phyllis did, and they honestly have way too much unnecessary dialogue. I also miss being able to buy a 4-pack of stationary for 80 bells and send letters for free in New Leaf, whereas sending one postcard in New Horizons costs 200 bells. I miss Pelly’s sweet cheerfulness and Phyllis’ hilarious snarky sarcasm. I miss getting to see Pete wandering around sometimes and him yelling at me when my mailbox was full xnsjnc. I miss the pelicans so, so bad

☘︎ Dr. Shrunk!!!!! I miss learning reactions from him and getting to hear his jokes. I am literally on my knees begging Nintendo to bring my axolotl boy back to me :c

☘︎ None of the tools breaking except for the regular and silver axe!!! All of the tools breaking, even the gold ones, in New Horizons is actually the bane of my existence.

☘︎ It’s such a minor thing, but the campsite tent turning into an igloo during the winter months. It was so cuteee

☘︎ Phineas! I miss seeing him wandering around and getting excited because it meant I earned a new badge. The Nook Mile achievements in New Horizons are alright and have been fun to chip away at, but they’re nowhere near as fun as getting a badge from Phineas was.

☘︎ The tropical and perfect fruits, as well as the persimmons!! I will literally never shut up about how stupid it is that the tropical fruits aren’t in New Horizons considering we live on a tropical island. 😭 The dead perfect fruit trees were great for spooky towns as well! I know we have the Decayed Tree item in New Horizons, but it lowkey doesn’t hit the same.

☘︎ The four-leaf clovers were so cute. I honestly completely forgot about them until today :’), but they were a cute surprise to find when pulling weeds. They were nice to decorate with, too.

☘︎ The Illuminated Heart, Illuminated Arch and Tulip Topiary PWPs. I also miss the Fairytale Bridge like a mf

☘︎ Dropping Katie off at other towns. She showed up in my town so often that I started to get annoyed, but man I wish I could drop her off somewhere just one more time… you don’t know what you have until it’s gone ig

☘︎ I mourn the Snow Bunny, Marshmallow Chair, Aurora Screen, Egg Lamp, Sweets and Snowman sets, Jellyfish Lamp, Caterpillar Sofa, Wendall’s Painting, Pikman item (and the noise it made) and Sapling Clock every day

☘︎ The bunny balloons

I’m probably forgetting a lot, but I’d honestly be here writing all night if I tried to list everything that I miss from New Leaf. I don’t have New Leaf anymore and haven’t played it in years, but it’s still my favourite AC game. Everything about it was so good, and I miss the cozy, community-oriented vibes it had. I’m grateful for all of the memories I have because of it, and for leading me to TBT, but I’m sad that the online servers are shutting down. It feels like 2013 was just yesterday.
IMG_2812.png

Definitely miss the music in the game. It’s almost too difficult to boot up the game when I hear the music. Literally hurts my heart it’s so nostalgic

Everything that I miss:
  • The hourly music
  • The Gorgeous Series, Sweets Series, the holiday furniture series like the Jingle Series, the Astro Series, the Robo Series, and the Sci-Fi theme
  • Tortimer’s Island
  • The illuminated PWPs and video screen, as well as having the Café separate from the Museum
  • The Nookling shop expansions
  • The early town progression

So many good points! I’m a couple days in now, and it’s clear to me how much better the dialogue is in New Leaf, too.

Another thing I really enjoy is Tortimer’s Island, like others have mentioned. It’s so fun to hunt bugs with no other potential spawns.

Okay a little niche detail that ALL the AC games have (but just noticed today in NL..) the DOOR sound!! When you close a door behind you, it makes this creaking noise. It's classic and I don't think it's in NH (at least, I haven't noticed it, I'll check today). Also the town strip at the top of the map. I love the city/town format so much better than the pop up vendor style of NH. Plus, unlocking the buildings was so much fun and created anticipation and gave you a reason to keep playing.

The thing I miss most about NL? It felt like a complete game, which I can't say for NH. If they re-mastered and re-leased NL but for the switch (or just made a better freaking AC game for the switch), I would be delighted.

I miss the laidback feel of the game. New Horizons is also laidback but the crafting and terraforming aspects make it sort of tedious at times. I miss things to do, like going to Tortimer's island and doing mini games. I miss a simpler way of playing. That's New Leaf.

I prefer New Leaf over New Horizons overall. Some of the main reasons are:

1) Villagers - the villagers have way more personality in New Leaf. The watered-down personalities and repetitive dialogue of New Horizons really turned me off of the game.
2) Furniture - way more selection than New Horizons
3) Tortimer's Island! Visiting Tortimer's Island was one of my favourite past-times in New Leaf.

And overall, I just feel like New Leaf had way more detail and charm. It filled me with joy to play in a way that New Horizons never did.

I remember meeting awesome players on random island tours and adding each other.

Back then when you could just randomly stumble onto others and vibe, something NH just doesn't have :<

I booted up New Leaf for the first time today in many years. Call me crazy, but there are some pretty awesome things about NL over NH.

- I bought my first couple tools. After using them a little bit, I realized: THEY DON'T BREAK!
- The music is so good!
- The town does not feel nearly as empty as NH. Some would argue the extra space in NH is a good thing though.
- The shopping district feels so nice compared to what we have in NH

What about you?

The forum fun I had during those days.

The music is better than NH's music. The early morning music sticks out.

I prefer it to NH, so most things

The music. I don’t like the NH music at all, nor do I like the island theme. It feels like a summer vacation rather than a cosy vacation and ac was always a cosy game to me.

Tools not breaking.

The town.

Being able to upgrade shops. The lack of upgrades in NH is the worst and was one of the only reasons I actually used to buy stuff

i miss being able to sit at the town tree, looking at the dates of key stuffs pass by on the screen and listening to the perfect music ;_; also really miss the coffee shift at brewsters and going to tortimer's island and playing the minigames with randos

This is just a general thing that I miss from earlier games, but THE NINTENDO ITEMS. The Mario stuff is, like, okay but I want stuff based on other series damn it!! (Especially if we got Splatoon stuff. I would put SYO MUCH OF THAT in my house you don't even get itttt)

I miss playing hide n seek with my villagers, it was alway so much fun! Was my fav tortimer game too~
I miss making coffee for my villagers, Isabelle, and random villagers who've come over for coffee. I took a LONG time ti write down EVERY SINGLE villager's coffee choices. I still have it. And the RV villagers and furniture!

The minigame island! It added a ton of multiplayer value and was a lot of fun. I miss it.🥲

Back