things that are okay to suck at/what do you suck at?

eggie_

they/them | the sleepiest egg
Bells
Island
Lemon-up
Mother's Day Carnation
White Lily
Yellow Candy
Yellow Candy
Yellow Candy
Yellow Candy
Yellow Candy
Yellow Candy
User Title Color Change (Seashells)
The Bell Tree Fair 2020 Patch
i only ever see people being really good at things online. theyre good at games, great at art, have impeccably designed islands, or have the most amazing fashion sense and cutest outfits. im sure this isnt just me, but when i start to see this kind of stuff too much, i start going, "why cant i be doing those things??" and i think i often assume that when i pick something up and try it for the first time, that im going to be just as good as the people i see online- but you gotta suck at it first!!
its also like, when youre posting something that youre bad at online, you of course dont get many likes or much attention from these things. which is also a big de-motivator, i think.
so, heres what i wanna know: i want to know the things people are terrible at, but do anyways!!
for me, im absolute garbage at watercolors and alcohol markers. theyre so hard and are super different from other paints/mediums! but theyre a lot of fun~
also im very, very, very, very bad at minecraft. i die like every 3 seconds LOL i was fighting the ender dragon with my friends and i swear my death counter went up by like 20 just in that fight
these drawings are all from 2 years ago or less~
(the last few images are from within the last year or so!)
1597288326422.png

1597288343143.png

scuffed eevee (i tried so hard LOL)
1597288350431.png

this one is supposed to be rover. even at the time i drew this i was like, smth not addin up here 🤔
1597288357527.png

1597288364309.png

im so sorry truffles 😂
1597288373571.png

1597288381571.png

this one is pretty recent. i wanted to a pretty lotus flower, but my water control was very off so the petals got these weird chalky borders! i was really discouraged about it for a while, but now i think it looks okay :)

and yeah those are some of the drawings and pages that i just thought really sucked! and is okay bc art is HARD lol

tl;dr- i want to know what the things people are new at and learning are because its easy to get discouraged! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

personally something I'm really bad at is coding/programming. I've tried my hand at it in multiple different scenarios, such as on Wolfram Mathematica, Python, Lego Mindstorm, Game Maker, and even WarioWare DIY's micro-games, and I've just never gotten the hang of the order of operations and how everything melds together. I've kinda accepted at this point in my life that I can never do programming lol. (Although this isn't a thing i do despite sucking at it)

I actually can't really think of anything that I do despite being bad at it. often if i just can't get the hang of something after many failed attempts I give up, usually because I realize it's just not for me. I suppose I do often try to build strong teams in Pokemon games despite not being a competitive player, although my teams usually do pretty well (especially my current UM team).

Also I really love your watercolor/marker drawings!! super cute! ☺

oh yeah programming is super hard! its something that seems really cool and creative to me, and ive trained to learn languages like python, but its very difficult to get into. theres so much to learn and get used to and in my experience trying to teach myself how to code has only ever been really frustrating lol. definitely something that for me i would keep to learning in a class or something if i ever tried it again.

comp pokemon is also something that seems super cool to me but i really suck at lol. its that same catch that i have for learning to code where theres just so much stuff to sit down and learn is what gets me for comp pokemon, like natures and ivs and breeding- it all goes over my head haha
i totally get what you mean though about giving up after many failed attempts. for me thats always comp games like overwatch, valorant, league, etc
also thanks!! (ᵔᴥᵔ)

I'm taking a 2 year IT programming course starting next month so I'm new to that, never programmed in my life but I was told it isn't really filled with any math you cant do on a calculator (I hope so atleast), and there were literally no other programs offered at my local community college that I could see myself doing, so I hope I succeed at it considering I've already paid the first half of my first year tuition and it wasnt cheap.

speaking of math, I was never good at it lol, failed grade 8 math and was in general math all through hs. hope it doesn't come back to haunt me. I also suck at time management, studying, drawing, and so many other things that if I listed them all I'd be here all night.

(this is an interesting thread idea tho, I like it)

I am bad at math. Even basic math. I'm 26 and still have to use my fingers sometimes to add/subtract. I might have dyscalculia actually

Also not great at measuring things no matter how hard I try, which is annoying because I am trying to get good at sewing

Other things.. I am not good at hitting basic attacks in MOBA/Shooter games. I'm bad at being social in person

French unfortunately. I took it in school for 6 years and I can barely remember any of it lmao. I had a hard time absorbing the language in the first place so there wasn't much hope of remembering it after I graduated.

I'm bad at most things involving a lot of hand-eye coordination (somehow got through 10 years of piano lessons).

I'm bad at coding -- have a hard time remembering what variable names I've already used.

I'm bad at most of the core subjects in my degree (multivariate calculus, thermodynamics, organic chemistry). I'm glad to be done with those subjects for probably/hopefully the rest of my life.

I have an awful memory now, but I compensate for it by writing every thought and task I need to do down.

I'm actually pretty bad at video games which require skill, but I loooove playing them. Even if I die frequently or have to look up walkthroughs - I still have lots of fun and I'd never give it up for anything else. People often say that the "easy" modes are for babies, but no!! Let me play on my baby mode and enjoy myself while playing the game even if I still die 297478493 times!!

Another thing is that I have trouble keeping balance, so cycling has always been something that I wanted to learn so badly, but couldn't due to lack of time and my balance problems. But!! A few weeks ago I actually managed to learn how to ride a bike and even if I'm not the best at it, I still enjoy it to the core. What can I say? It's just so much fun!! 💞

Some other notable mentions: anything related to memory, writing, team sports and cooking.

God had to nerf me, because if not, I'd be too powerful 😔🤙

I’m bad at socializing :/ I’m super awkward and have a hard time just trying to have a casual conversation.

I’m also bad about being assertive with strangers if they’re bumping into me or being rude or something I’m more likely to act as if I’m not there. I usually wish that I had said something later though..

This one may seem silly but I’m terrible at making simple decisions like what I want to eat or what to buy at the grocery store.Most of the time I have no idea what I want

I think I am both absolutely terrible at drawing (for my age) and also... can draw tolerably. I've always been exceptionally harsh on myself to the point where I'm incapable of taking action. The fear of failure is paralyzing (from the way I was brought up too. It's so difficult to unlearn things...)

Anyway, I thought if I were to get better then I should probably learn to use references. And it turns out that no one can draw how heads connect to necks, which connects to torsos, etc. If no one can do it then I guess it's totally normal that I'm having trouble with it.

It's so hard to unlearn behaviour. I'm trying to be kind and easier on myself as there's enough of that externally. Much work to do.

Honestly, i'm pretty bad at anything that requires me to use my fingers. This is pretty embarrassing, but it took me until I was 14 to finally be able to tie my shoes properly :v. At work, even though I have practised probably over a dozen times, I have to get someone else to tie up the newspapers for me at the end of the day, because I just don't get how knots work.Writing is also pretty hard for me and gives my hands cramps often, and while my hand writing at one point was actually pretty good, I am very slow at it. Due to this, I was even given a laptop for all my exams in school, because my handwriting was just too slow for the longer essay questions.

The most annoying thing about my fingers being weird is trying to play games on my laptop though. There are a lot games out there that require you to use almost all your fingers (like league of legends), and even after trying to play them and getting some muscle memory, I just can't keep up and eventually have to give up playing them. Its annoying because almost all the games my best friend plays have this exact problem, and its kind of created a bit of a rift between us, because I can't play with him anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if I have got some kind of nerve damage or problem with my hands, but it's not exactly something that can be fixed anyway.

I'm bad at soooo many things that I wish I could do better.

I wish I could draw, paint, or do art of any kind, and while I'm not the worst at it, my art leaves a lot to be desired. I know I could practice and probably get better but my hands cramp up so much. So I just admire the work of others.

I also wish I was more musically inclined. I love music and as a child, I joined choir and tried to pick up various instruments. But despite the time I invested in it, my lack of rhythm and ability to carry a tune never improved. Maybe if I had professional training outside of school, they could have helped me understand what I was doing wrong, but I wasn't quite that passionate about it. So now I leave music to others and only sing along in private.

I think it's ok to not be perfect at things. And if you enjoy them, there's no reason not to keep doing them even if you'll never make a career out of it. The important thing is just to have fun and not worry about comparing yourself to others.

So, I'm good at knitting, mainly because I've been doing it for 45 years, but crochet? I've lost count of the number of times I've tried to learn it. Friends have tried teaching me, but being left-handed makes it tough. I've managed to learn to do a simple (and probably not correct) chain to finish off a neckline, but that's it. Doesn't stop me from trying, though. I'll figure it out, some day!

Last edited:
I'm terrible at music. Can't read it or play it or keep any sort of rhythm or key. Can't hum a tune or a sing a line bad.

I'm terrible at pretty much all the sports except for one and I'm decent at it at best.

Can't paint. I drew OK as a kid but I lost the skill / very out of practice.

My print handwriting is terrible but people told me that my cursive is the most legible they have seen.

The thing I struggled with the most is making a clay bowl on a pottery wheel LOL
So I can make a 60cm (2 ft) tall clay cat... but not a bowl 😆 I cannot tame the wheel 😱 it has a mind of its own!

I suck at almost all team sports, including the usual gym class favourites like soccer and hockey. High school with all the jocks was rough.

I can’t wrap my head around physics or calculus to save my life.

On a personality note, I’m also terrible at letting things go. I’m a perfectionist and if something isn’t “just so”, it’s not good enough and I obsess over it 🙃

" i only ever see people being really good at things online. they're good at games, great at art, have impeccably designed islands, or have the most amazing fashion sense and cutest outfits. "

Like the creator said. These things are all okay to "suck" at. With practice, comes patience and confidence. Nobody is great at everything, people try to be great at everything, and that's okay. We all have our own little talents, our own little "I'm amazing at this" even when we don't think about it. It's mainly what you think you're good at and want to try to keep going with.
Don't like drawing shrewd pictures but you love the feeling it gives you? Just keep going, so what if you're not a master, people don't come out the womb "drawing f**ing Mozart" (Quote by Arin Hanson Super Mario Galaxy playthrough xD) You can keep practicing to get better and learn what you can do to improve yourself. Just think of you, what do you want to do, how can you do it, do be scared, and just go for it.

Back