• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What did you do for your last adult birthday?

sunwolfx

Moth to a Flame
Bells
My birthday is tomorrow and as an adult I'm struggling to find anything to do that doesn't involve food or beverages. What did you guys do for your adult birthdays? They just don't seem to have as much excitement as being a kid did. It's especially hard because I live at home but both of my parents work, and normally I'd spend it with them. My boyfriend is coming over but he's not the best at planning things. Reddit posts and Google don't seem to be very helpful - "plan a massage" (I hate being massaged), have a spa day (my boyfriend wouldn't wanna do that at home and they're so expensive anywhere you go), anything outside is a no-go since it's so cold and windy... I'm outta ideas.

Top off I'm a twin and I feel bad leaving my sister out of everything. She'll probably spend the day at home alone with the dog because she mostly just online games.

Please tell me any ideas you have and what you did for your last adult birthday or something you've enjoyed doing as an adult on your birthday.

I don't like drinking and don't really have friends in proximity. Since my birthday is in June, I end up going to see whatever Pixar movie is releasing that summer.

Sure, it says 'adult birthday', but we can all find our own ways to have fun.

I don't like drinking and don't really have friends in proximity. Since my birthday is in June, I end up going to see whatever Pixar movie is releasing that summer.

Sure, it says 'adult birthday', but we can all find our own ways to have fun.
I just meant like, as an adult. Kid birthdays are so much easier to plan but not always available to adults (arcades, play areas, theme parks, etc.).

for my last birthday my boyfriend came over and helped my family out with cooking. a few of my friends (3) came over later on and we pretty much just ate and socialized in the living room & dining table.

going to a regional park was my 2nd choice since the park had pedal boats and bike rentals but i figured it was more convenient for everyone to just show up to my house. my birthday's in the summer so it's easier to have outdoor activities.

what about putting on a show/movie or boardgames?

I don’t do anything for my birthday. I hated my birthday as a kid because everyone always drew attention to it. Nobody really cares as an adult and I prefer it that way. I don’t want presents and to be told happy birthday by relatives that feel like they have to because it’s the day I was born. I would rather receive presents on any other day of the year because they actually want to do something nice for me. Those kinds of things mean more to me than someone feeling like they have to do something.

Usually go to sporting events or fun places. Sometimes I'll just have a nice dinner at home though. Just depends on the year.

If I remember correctly, I just stayed home and played a game I got that day. My health has been awful and I usually just do things with my family, anyway.

So, my birthday is June 9th. Last year, I just ate Five Guys and celebrated with my online friends. My friend @/AshtonDraws surprised me with multiple art of my self-ship at the time and my main OC ship. My other friend @/rocketspruggs also drew me some art. <33333
I also got a few hundred dollars from my dad and grandparents. I also go to my grandparents house and swam on the weekend before. I am pretty content celebrating my birthdays like this <3333

I am both dreading and looking forward to my birthday this year. I am not exactly thrilled with climbing down my 20s (I will turn 26 this year). If anything, it makes me feel a bit dysphoric about my age, since mentally, I barely feel like a teenager. NTM, I am on the spectrum, so I naturally act younger than my physical age due to that, which society still lacks knowledge and is judgmental about.

But other than the reminder of getter older, I cannot deny that I love celebrating my birthday. I love getting gift art, money, delicious food of my choice, and celebrating with my besties. Some of these things my seem small, but they mean the world to me. :,)

I also intend to celebrate my birthday in all five mainline AC games this year. I do not always celebrate my birthday in Animal Crossing since I am just not always actively playing, but I intend to stick with it this year. Last time was in 2020, but that was only in NL and NH (both are long deleted town and island). I didn't have a very high friendship with anyone in the former, so I didn't get birthday furniture, but I think I remember Drake hosting the party and him giving me a lovely armoire.

GameCube - From my experience in 2012, this game doesn't seem to consider friendships when celebrating birthdays, unfortunately. The good news is that you get cake very easily, since your mom just gives it to you, but instead of considering friendships, this game is random in who gives you the NES game and birthday cards + presidents in the mail.

WildWorld - You get cake from a villager instead. I actually prefer it this way. This version seems to be more lenient about giving cake. You can get a cake from someone, despite not being close to any of the villagers. You can also get presents from some of the villagers, though you may only get one or a few, whereas you get a whole truckload in the GameCube version. From my experience, this game does a better job at considering your friendships with the villagers along with other factors. If he is still here on June 9th, it will probably be Chief who will give me a cake, since I know of someone else who was given a cake by him (he is not my WW best friend, but still).

I also noticed something via time traveling (which I do not plan to do anymore in the foreseeable future)...you will not get cake from your best friend if they are trying to move out. I noticed this when I was doing some TTing to my birthday while Mathilda was trying to move out. I do not know if this rule applies if they are sick, but I have a feeling it does in City Folk.

However, according to a video I watched a long time ago, you can still get cake from a villager even if it is also that villagers birthday. This one player had Lucy in their town. He actually got a cake from her, despite it also being her birthday.

City Folk - For some reason, a lot of people just do not get cake in this one. Makes me wonder if I will even get cake in this one. Hell, I made a character for my OC Manton before his birthday, which was on March 7th, and he didn't get any cake. ;----; Not even from Kiki, Bob, or Tangy, despite their being videos on YouTube of them giving cake to the player. I was gonna predict that one of them would be the one to give me a cake for my birthday, now I am not so sure.

Luckily, I have only had a birthday fail when I time traveled, so hopefully I can get cake in this version from whoever the heck. I did get a chocolate heart last month for Valentine's Day at least. If I can get a cake, I plan to place it next to my chocolate heart on my lovely table.

New Leaf - Rooney is on of my best friends in this town AND I heard Micheal say that he was their to host his character's birthday. This is probably the most consistent and logical guess out of these versions.

New Horizons - I do not really know much about birthdays in this game, since I do not really remember who was all at my birthday in NH, or even who hosted it, but I hope Rooney and Apollo are there, even if the host is someone else.

Last edited:
My last birthday was on a Thursday and my at-the-time workplace did birthday leave. I took the Friday off too because hey long birthday weekend.

I visited my mum in the morning and we went out for breakfast. Then went home and my partner and I ordered in curry for dinner. Ended up going to bed early because I didn't feel great.

The next morning, I decided to go to the cinema on my own to see the Super Mario Bros movie. Realised while there that my throat was tickly. Got some bubble tea after and spent way too much money on a new pair of Nike trainers and clothes. In the evening we had my proper celebration, which was my girlfriend taking me out to a Korean restaurant for dinner and cocktails.

She suggested we go shopping on the Saturday, where she bought me a variety of little gifts.

Then I found out the reason I'd feeling unwell on my birthday was because I had COVID. Thanks universe. 👍

for my last birthday my boyfriend came over and helped my family out with cooking. a few of my friends (3) came over later on and we pretty much just ate and socialized in the living room & dining table.

going to a regional park was my 2nd choice since the park had pedal boats and bike rentals but i figured it was more convenient for everyone to just show up to my house. my birthday's in the summer so it's easier to have outdoor activities.

what about putting on a show/movie or boardgames?
We put on TV or play board games almost weekly when he comes over so I was hoping for something a little more exciting haha. I don't wanna sit around the whole day and then go to dinner, but I equally didn't wanna do our norm (thrift shopping or Disney+). There's a few places I would've loved to go but the weather never permits (like this one arboretum).

I think we settled on painting pottery and going to this one greenhouse that has an indoor waterfall 😁
Post automatically merged:

My last birthday was on a Thursday and my at-the-time workplace did birthday leave. I took the Friday off too because hey long birthday weekend.

I visited my mum in the morning and we went out for breakfast. Then went home and my partner and I ordered in curry for dinner. Ended up going to bed early because I didn't feel great.

The next morning, I decided to go to the cinema on my own to see the Super Mario Bros movie. Realised while there that my throat was tickly. Got some bubble tea after and spent way too much money on a new pair of Nike trainers and clothes. In the evening we had my proper celebration, which was my girlfriend taking me out to a Korean restaurant for dinner and cocktails.

She suggested we go shopping on the Saturday, where she bought me a variety of little gifts.

Then I found out the reason I'd feeling unwell on my birthday was because I had COVID. Thanks universe. 👍
Wow, happy birthday to you! The universe gifted you covid, that sucks.

I thought the Mario movie was underwhelming. They made Donkey Kong more powerful than Mario and Luigi was a wimp... When it was literally called the Mario movie. I've seen one of the older live action movies which was much better. At least Bowser was well-done in this one.

I like that you celebrated across multiple days :)
Post automatically merged:

So, my birthday is June 9th. Last year, I just ate Five Guys and celebrated with my online friends. My friend @/AshtonDraws surprised me with multiple art of my self-ship at the time and my main OC ship. My other friend @/rocketspruggs also drew me some art. <33333
I also got a few hundred dollars from my dad and grandparents. I also go to my grandparents house and swam on the weekend before. I am pretty content celebrating my birthdays like this <3333

I am both dreading and looking forward to my birthday this year. I am not exactly thrilled with climbing down my 20s (I will turn 26 this year). If anything, it makes me feel a bit dysphoric about my age, since mentally, I barely feel like a teenager. NTM, I am on the spectrum, so I naturally act younger than my physical age due to that, which society still lacks knowledge and is judgmental about.

But other than the reminder of getter older, I cannot deny that I love celebrating my birthday. I love getting gift art, money, delicious food of my choice, and celebrating with my besties. Some of these things my seem small, but they mean the world to me. :,)

I also intend to celebrate my birthday in all five mainline AC games this year. I do not always celebrate my birthday in Animal Crossing since I am just not always actively playing, but I intend to stick with it this year. Last time was in 2020, but that was only in NL and NH (both are long deleted town and island). I didn't have a very high friendship with anyone in the former, so I didn't get birthday furniture, but I think I remember Drake hosting the party and him giving me a lovely armoire.

GameCube - From my experience in 2012, this game doesn't seem to consider friendships when celebrating birthdays, unfortunately. The good news is that you get cake very easily, since your mom just gives it to you, but instead of considering friendships, this game is random in who gives you the NES game and birthday cards + presidents in the mail.

WildWorld - You get cake from a villager instead. I actually prefer it this way. This version seems to be more lenient about giving cake. You can get a cake from someone, despite not being close to any of the villagers. You can also get presents from some of the villagers, though you may only get one or a few, whereas you get a whole truckload in the GameCube version. From my experience, this game does a better job at considering your friendships with the villagers along with other factors. If he is still here on June 9th, it will probably be Chief who will give me a cake, since I know of someone else who was given a cake by him (he is not my WW best friend, but still).

I also noticed something via time traveling (which I do not plan to do anymore in the foreseeable future)...you will not get cake from your best friend if they are trying to move out. I noticed this when I was doing some TTing to my birthday while Mathilda was trying to move out. I do not know if this rule applies if they are sick, but I have a feeling it does in City Folk.

However, according to a video I watched a long time ago, you can still get cake from a villager even if it is also that villagers birthday. This one player had Lucy in their town. He actually got a cake from her, despite it also being her birthday.

City Folk - For some reason, a lot of people just do not get cake in this one. Makes me wonder if I will even get cake in this one. Hell, I made a character for my OC Manton before his birthday, which was on March 7th, and he didn't get any cake. ;----; Not even from Kiki, Bob, or Tangy, despite their being videos on YouTube of them giving cake to the player. I was gonna predict that one of them would be the one to give me a cake for my birthday, now I am not so sure.

Luckily, I have only had a birthday fail when I time traveled, so hopefully I can get cake in this version from whoever the heck. I did get a chocolate heart last month for Valentine's Day at least. If I can get a cake, I plan to place it next to my chocolate heart on my lovely table.

New Leaf - Rooney is on of my best friends in this town AND I heard Micheal say that he was their to host his character's birthday. This is probably the most consistent and logical guess out of these versions.

New Horizons - I do not really know much about birthdays in this game, since I do not really remember who was all at my birthday in NH, or even who hosted it, but I hope Rooney and Apollo are there, even if the host is someone else.
I was so curious this year to see what animal crossing does for birthdays because I've never actually done one in game. I'm looking forward to that too!

Both myself and my twin believe we're on the spectrum but it's so hard to get diagnosed or tested because a lot of doctors have said to us in annoyance that "everyone nowadays is trying to get diagnosed". But autism presents so differently in girls and they're typically not diagnosed until their 20s anyways... Our biological father with whom we have no relationship has been tested and falls somewhere on the spectrum and we both exhibit seriously atypical behavior ourselves. And yet even her and I are so different. I'm genuinely happy you have that diagnosis under your belt and I relate very much to that feeling. Age has been such a hard concept for me growing up. I feel like it's not fair that it's unacceptable to behave like a child anymore and if you do you're made fun of. Like one of my first thoughts was going and having fun on a playground but that's not age appropriate so I have to find something else to do. Sorry, long rant. But I do agree with you there!

I hope you end up having a good birthday!!!

Last edited:
I just hangout with my family or partner. They'll order in food from wherever I choose, we'll have cake, and then open gifts. That's it and that's all I want now anyways.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

my birthday was just on the 1st. we got brunch, went to the mall and spent hours there (there's things to do that are free in the mall,) drove around to redeem some of those free birthday things (nothing bundt cakes gives out free cakes on your birthday which is WILD) and then she made me dinner :) came home and assembled some figures i bought, tried on the clothes i got and snapped pictures, then had the cake and went to bed.

For my birthday three months ago, on December 22nd, I celebrated with friends, and we ate at Applebee's, and I opened their gifts from all of them.

I still like celebrating my birthday, even though my mom and I aren't rich, and I don't mind getting older at all. (I will be 24 this year.)

I rarely have had adult birthdays that weren't centered around food. For my last birthday, we did a picnic at a really gorgeous park. I prepared a bunch of meat and vegetables and we ate and hung out before it started to rain and we had to pack it up and go home.

For my other adult friends, we've done axe throwing, pottery/ceramic painting, movie night, walking around the city, etc.

Happy birthday!

I generally don't do a whole lot for my birthdays, in fact lately I've just been working on my birthday, and then buying myself a single-serve cake on the way home. However, last year was my 30th birthday which I felt was a pretty big milestone so I decided to do something big for it. I ended up buying myself a flight from California out to Denver, a hotel for the night, and a flight home the next day specifically to have dinner at a higher-end Italian restaurant I had been wanting to try for a couple of years at that point. The restaurant didn't disappoint, either! The flights were quite enjoyable as well, I was happy to be able to have an excuse to fly again since I love flying, and traveling in general.

That trip was definitely an outlier though, otherwise my birthdays are pretty uneventful.

My birthday is coming up in about two weeks. I’ll be home from Taipei by then so I’m planning on buying myself a nice lunch and maybe bake myself a cake. I’ll also redeem the Birthday Pawmi I got from the Taipei Pokémon Center. I might also buy myself a couple of games if I have enough money or get an eShop gift card from my sister. Princess Peach Showtime and the Paper Mario Thousand Year Door will be what I’m aiming for and I might get Brilliant Diamond if I have enough to get some Game Vouchers.

I went and got a massage. I splurged and got the fancy package. I had wanted to go to a spa, but was too late in booking my spot. That’s what I’ll do this year as well.

i don't really do much for my birthday nowadays. i'm not like super into my birthday i guess? lol. mostly i just go out for dinner with my family and then like another few dinners between different friends as well. i have a friend who would rent out a nice hotel room for her birthday and would just treat herself to nice experiences like the spa and stuff like that. treat yo self! (it's a reference from park and rec if anyone watches that haha)

I haven't done much for my birthday for a few years now. Last birthday I had I went out for dinner with my flatmate, got cake and shouted myself a massage. Last "proper" party I had was when I was 21 I think? Nowadays I just try to do something nice for myself.

Back