• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

are you good at tolerating lactose?

are you lactose intolerant? (BAD at the ancient art of lactose toleration)

• Total voters
Bells
White Rose
White Rose
Tasty Cake
Father's Day Carnation
White Tulip
Red Tulip
White Lily
i personally seem to not be very good at tolerating lactose! if i drink milk with nothing added my insides explode, but any other dairy products and i'm fine 3/4 of the time ??? I've heard some people develop an intolerance to it or grow out of it (?) may be misinformation

please share knowledge of your lactose tolerating skills (or lack of skills like in my case)

It honestly depends on the day xnsjnchfbv, but generally yes! I’m not lack toes intolerant, but I do have IBS, and sometimes dairy triggers it. But pretty much everything’s triggered it at least once by now, including plain water 🤠, so lactose wasn’t really the problem LOL

The wording for the thread and poll is confusing, but generally no, I've never had problems with dairy products at all.

I think so? I have a lot of digestive issues but none of them seem to center around dairy. Cheerios with milk is one of the safest foods for when I’m not feeling well, and I don’t notice any issues with cheese. But my mom developed a lactose intolerance as a young adult so I’m always keeping a wary eye out.

I was fine for years up until a year or so ago (I’m almost 28 now). Now if I so much as have too much of the wrong thing my insides explode as well. Certain things are worse than others, ice cream and milk are among some of the worst for me.

The part I hate the most is limited food options most of the time. I love dairy but can’t have lactose and most options are “dairy free” and I usually find them gross especially compared to just lactose free foods. Eating out is such a hassle anymore too as dairy is in just about everything. Most places have vegetarian, vegan and even gluten free, but lactose free? Nah. I’m aware that vegan is technically free from animal products entirely like dairy but I like meat too.

For the most part, yes! I have IBS so technically it's not because of dairy when I eat dairy and have issues. It's all at random. Some days I'm fine eating one dish but then eating that same dish the next day is a problem.

The wording for the thread and poll is confusing, but generally no, I've never had problems with dairy products at all.
I have purposefully worded it this way so that when I turn tbt into a hunger games-esque society (with the help of Satoshi) with districts based on lactose toleration skills (information stolen from this poll), anyone who read the poll wrong will have the potential to become the next katniss everdeen by chugging a jug of milk

I have purposefully worded it this way so that when I turn tbt into a hunger games-esque society (with the help of Satoshi) with districts based on lactose toleration skills (information stolen from this poll), anyone who read the poll wrong will have the potential to become the next katniss everdeen by chugging a jug of milk

That's an amazing plot, I wonder how it would go...

Nope! I can digest lactose with no problem whatsoever. Ice cream, milk, whatever it is, my iron stomach can handle it.

Unless it's onions. I cannot eat those deadly things.

awh noo! i’ve had a recent newfound love for onions and it sucks you can’t eat them ):

but i’ve always been able to digest lactose! besides when it’s in bubble tea…i always end up in the washroom a little while later

For some reason, I just now started developing an intolerance to lactose. For years I could handle it and nothing would be wrong, but as of last week, dairy products have just been messing me up super bad. I don’t understand why, but now I can’t really eat even a little bit of stuff with dairy 😭

I am still able to, thankfully! Asians are traditionally bad at it; I mean I just think there's a higher rate of lactose intolerance in Asians. And then we we all get older (I mean humans of all nationalities), we get a little more lactose intolerant. So the combination of these two things had always had me a little worried because I LOVE milk and milk based products, although I suppose I drink less milk now than I did when I was younger so maybe I don't really know. But I still eat a lot of cheese, and a lot of yogurt and ice cream:D I actually like alternate/non-dairy products quite a bit though. I'm thankful to live in California, a state that is very open to a lot of diets and so there are always a lot of alternate products available at the store and even when eating out. I was living in New York state for a decade before I moved back to California, and I remember that was not the case in the parts of New York I lived in. (I wasn't living in NYC, which may have been a different food landscape)

I used to, but the more time goes on, the less I'm able to tolerate it. I can generally have a small amount at a time, but beyond that it causes issues and discomfort for me. thankfully I can tell when I'm reaching my limit in terms of dairy consumption, so I can stop before I know it would make me sick. at this rate though I'm expecting myself to become fully lactose intolerant. 😩

Moderately intolerant. I can stomach cheese (as long as I don't go crazy). Milk makes me sick within 15-30 minutes.

I chose “kind of” ‘cause it’s a bit ambiguous. I seem to get stomach aches more often than the average person and sometimes I believe they’re triggered by cheesy snacks.
The first time I ate Big Foot cheese puffs I got a horrific stomach ache, but I ate them again and I was fine. The first time was in 2019 which I had daily mini stomach cramps for half the year and I believe my body was very on edge about lactose. I believe I took a lactaid the second time though lol. Another horrible horrible offender was Dot’s cheese twists. They were spicy and stale tasting which most likely contributed. Never ever ever ever eating those again. I’ve eaten so much pirate’s booty but one time I ate almost an entire bag and got one which makes sense since it was excessive. Other times it seems to have been cheese with something else, like too much cheese and too much soda or too much grease and soda on an empty stomach. Yeah, yeah, i know i have ****ty eating habits. So I’ve started a diary detailing everything i ate the day I get a tummy ache.

I'm 23 and my body scoffs at lactose intolerance. Everyone I grew up with in the family has the worst reactions to milk, they drink that bootleg water milk stuff.

Me? I can literally eat a brick of cheese. If I ever become lactose intolerant it'll be a deadly day in the bathroom.

i think i've developed a very minor case of lactose intolerance, i don't drink/eat a lot of dairy in the first place but after a couple of iced lattes in work i start to feel a little grim (while if i stick to black i'm fine so don't think it's the caffeine)

I'm good with dairies. It's a good thing because I love ice cream, yogurt and cheese

Back