• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

TBT's Haunted Carnival: Closing Ceremony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Especially since you don't win multiple of the exclusive collectible for multiple staff favorites, I don't think I would mind seeing a shift to a max of "one staff favorite per person per event" if the amount of bonus currency typically associated with it also increased. Event shop prices and currency amounts vary ofc, but if the amount of bonus currency went up by like 3x or 4x what it usually is, then I think that could balance out no longer being able to potentially earn extra currency from winning multiple favorites.

Like @/LambdaDelta mentioned though, less duplicate winners doesn't necessarily mean there will be more unique winners. I think it's worth a try if staff want to experiment with how the favorites are handled though!

Congrats to all the winners!
I just would like to see more different people and not 3+ times the same people that win.
Don't get me wrong, they are all beautiful and deserve to win, but I think it would be cool to see different people instead of the same ones for more than one category
I’m kind of torn on this—as someone who has entered events for years and never won a staff favorite until this event, it can be a touch discouraging, for sure. Not because it feels unfair, but because I’m like “yeah, still not a professional artist so I will continue not to win prizes in the many art categories!”

At the same time, though, I don’t really want to win a skill-based prize just because every single other person in the category who made something “better” was subtracted. And I imagine it might feel kind of weird for people who spend hours on hours doing gorgeous art to know that they can’t place in that category anymore.

I’ve often wondered if it might be fun to experiment with other types of prizes, too, instead of eliminating the current system. Something that is unlocked by significant event participation? A collectible that costs 50 bells but can only be purchased by people who earn at least 80 carnival coins? A few “just for fun” awards that have to do with humor or cleverness or surprising interpretation of the prompt instead of just aesthetics?

I’m sure the staff have already thought of all that and more. Definitely curious to see how the next few events unfold!

I guess my basic advice to anyone regarding this is just to keep at it. there's no telling when you may be rewarded someday, even if you presume to lack the skills otherwise
I want to give some words of encouragement regarding art competitions. I am not going to comment on the structure or voting.

This was my first contest entry for a valentines card event 2 years ago (Feb 2021):
1699388025581.png

It got a few likes, but was not a finalist or at least I didn't win anything from it. I drew it over several days, because back then it took hours for me to understand the art program and I still needed to build dexterity over time to make things less wobbly.

In the two years in between, I worked on several things and probably about 1-3 hours a day of watching tutorials, consuming good art, and practicing (around mom life and a few injuries and distracting events).

This is my winning entry from the June 2023 diversity event

You don't know where your life takes you; there is no limit to your growth if you love something enough.

If you want to talk about art improvement or ask about resources or just vent about it, I know the struggle well. Ping me on Discord any time.
Whatever forces out there that may be against your favor, we're all here because we love something, and I know you can turn that passion into something positive. You're a success story just waiting to happen in the making.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, dealing with duplicate winners is not as easy as not picking someone twice. We would then end up in a situation where the first event to be decided has all the regular winners, and by the time we get to the last one, only the more average entries are left. (I am of the opinion that for every serious effort, all art is good art! But the bar would be lower by the final event). Suddenly, the order in which events we vote on would start to matter and getting a favourite as a less experienced user would then involve hoping your best effort does not end up being in the first event voted on, where all the top artists were still competing. It would be clearly reflected in the end result and in my opinion, that's not desirable either.

As mentioned, the quantity of winners across categories helps give different names a chance. This is intentional, because we are aware of this problem and we also like to see new names in the winner lists. 😉

For my personal favourite votes, I do include entries when I like their concept, and I don't just judge for execution. If you lack artistic skills but have a great idea, you definitely still have a chance! And I might also have actual double standards where I judge our regular winners more harshly (imagine me stroking my imaginary beard going "hmm yes, not their best work"). They still slip through. I am sorry, they're too good. 😭

Nah, I definitely get what Princess Mipha was saying. I'm not an artist and never will be as it's not something I'm majorly interested in (and believe me, I've tried), and this event was pretty heavily art and design based if you look at all the main attraction events. That being said, would I want things to be changed up? Not necessarily. Look, I've been here for over a decade and never won a staff favorite, and I really don't care if I do or not. But I do understand the frustration from seeing the same names in staff favorites, as that's something I noticed even several years before now. Ultimately, however, it's up to the site staff to decide how they want to allocate everything, and I do have to agree that changing things up like that would allow more average entries to win. It's definitely a tricky situation, that's for sure.

I remember when Kilza drew up some data about the page numbers. I was under the impression for a long time that the entries on the first page are more "seen" and therefore receive more reacts. I admittedly don't scroll through 10+ pages of entries, especially for something I'm not quite interested in like those story events. I'm not much of a writer or a reader, but I did read skim a few that were on the first page because they were there. I know this doesn't affect staff favorites since those aren't reliant upon how many reacts your entry receives, but it's something to think about when reacts do in fact matter. What I gathered from Kilza's data was that entry position on a page doesn't really affect much, at least not as much as I'd initially thought.

While I totally understand how seeing the same users win in multiple categories can be disheartening at the end of the day the prize is some pixels. Sure it feels good to win and those said pixels typically look pretty darn cool but it’s not so bad.

I’ve won a couple events over the years here and there and never more than once per event. I’ve also not won anything several times including this event. Sure I’ll admit I was a little bummed that none of my entries were good enough for a staff fave this time but I still had a lot of fun. I used to take not winning more harshly but this event I focused on having fun with the event tasks and even learned a few new things about art along the way (I’m a digital art novice haha).

If you focus more on the event itself and not so much about winning it’s much more fun that way. Way less stressful and hey if you do manage to win something in the end when you weren’t expecting it that’s awesome!
Post automatically merged:

For my personal favourite votes, I do include entries when I like their concept, and I don't just judge for execution. If you lack artistic skills but have a great idea, you definitely still have a chance! And I might also have actual double standards where I judge our regular winners more harshly (imagine me stroking my imaginary beard going "hmm yes, not their best work"). They still slip through. I am sorry, they're too good. 😭

I want want to say I 100% appreciate this Mick and I can definitely say I’ve been chosen as a staff fave in a couple events in the past where I definitely didn’t compete on art skill level but had a really clever outside of the box idea. I’m sure other members of the staff try to do the same when picking their faves.

I definitely find I do better in staff fave events over user reacts/votes due to this mentality that the staff have. I don’t mean to complain about how users here vote it’s just different and I overall appreciate how the staff switch up the method that winners are chosen from event to event.

Last edited:
There are so many active and fantastic artists on TBT coming from all different skill levels. I like staff favorites because we get to see some of the "hidden gems" get acknowledged alongside some of the best of our community.

I think it's tough to find the best "solution" for subjective contests like this... and actually don't think there's a correct action to take besides the one staff is currently taking: expanding the number of winners so more people have the chance to win.

Thank you staff for the amazing event! I wish I had more free time to participate more for all the events. I'm so grateful for the staff favorite, so many great pieces of work, and obviously not an easy vote. Looking forward to the next event, happy holidays everyone!

It's time to pick the winners of our leftover carnival coin raffles!

Potion Raffle - 6 winners
Your choice of a Purple Bat Potion, Eerie Star Potion, Swamp Potion, or Bloodshot Potion collectible.
183 raffle tickets sold

Spirit Candy Raffle
- 2 winners
Your choice of a Spirit Candy: Wix or Spirit Candy: Pierrot.
115 raffle tickets sold

Pink Candy Raffle - 2 winners
220 raffle tickets sold

Black Feather Raffle - 1 winners
319 raffle tickets sold

Congratulations to our lucky winners!

If you're a winner, please send me a message with your choice of collectible and if you'd like it to be added with a specific date and time (EST timezone). You may select any time between October 31st and November 12th. If I don't receive a message from you, I'll message you myself soon.

With the final raffle winners selected, this marks the very end of this event. Thank you!

Alas, used up all my luck on that plush during the Halloween events.

Someday, Pink Candy. Someday.

Hopefully.

Please.

Congratulations to all of the Staff Favorite winners and congratulations to all of the winners of these final raffles.

Congrats to all the raffle winners!! 🥳 I hope you all enjoy your new collectibles!

Nice job to the winners.

Does that mean the AN Fragment will be giftable soon, as the event is officially over?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back