• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Spend or save?

I've been tortured with financial stress all of my life. Ugh. We were poor when I was a kid, and then when I first moved out of my parents house it was a struggle. I've literally made 'tomato soup' out of free ketchup packets and water.

Finally earned enough to buy a (used) car, rent a decent place, do the family/kids thing, etc. But then - medical bills. I have a disabled child, and we spent a ton of money that we did not have on medical bills. All on credit/loans. And then - a series of unfortunate events - more loans/credit. It's been over 20 years and we have finally (finally!) crawled out of debt and are managing to save.

It's funny though - now i want to save every penny "just in case", and my husband has a different mindset, haha. So - we set up individual accounts with "allowances" we can use for whatever we want. I save and invest as much as I can.

I am a chronic saver and I’d wager I have more in my savings than most people here,

But with that said I’ve been relying on unemployment for a while and I don’t currently have an income stream, so anything I spend is net loss

i don't make my own money right now because i don't have a job and can't drive and i don't have a payment method yet, but when i do make my own money id like to put some aside for savings..

I save wherever I can since I’m currently in a part time job only working twice a week due to college (though the semester recently finished and I’m on break for a little which I need to take). I have to spend some money on transportation, some groceries, internet bills, and even my tuition fees, so it’s important for me to cut back on some purchases. Though, I do treat myself every once in a while by buying Hotwheels and snacks.

The increased cost of living is a story for another time…

At the moment I can still put a few hundred dollars into my savings account a month and also buy something inexpensive. However who knows if this will still be the case in a few months once the household changes.

Whenever I get paid, I always move a bit to the account where my student loan payments come out of and at least 1/4 of it to my general savings account. I like to build up my savings, even if it's just a bit at a time. If right before the next paycheck hits, I have more than expected left in my checking account, I move even more to my savings. I'm very prone to spending money on silly things so I try to keep the habit of maintaining good savings. I'm very fortunate to have my parent's support when I need it, but I'm the type of person who wants to do things herself because I feel like my parents have already done so much for me.

50/50 most of the time save but sometimes while in gaming stores i spend and i mean like alot on the store sometimes to the point it even gets almost empty like the psp section at my local game store lately since theres just so many jrpgs i wanna get into.

Back