• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

do u rent/own/live with ur parents ?

situation??

• live with family

Votes: 47 62.7%
  • mortgage

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • rent

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • paid off house (wowie)

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • other

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
I currently live with my dad and our two cats! I would love to move out but as @Saylor mentioned above rent is ridiculous here. It's just not possible for me to move out on my own until we get a place together. I even make a few dollars more than minimum wage and I work full time!! It is infuriating that I can't afford a place to live on my salary.

I don't even live somewhere fancy. I'm in a small town. Why are our apartments $1,500+??? W h o is affording those places and can they pay my rent for me thank u.

i live with my family but i'm hoping to move in with my partner soon after i'm done with school. it's a much smaller place (a townhouse) and further away from everything but the mortgage is paid and i'm excited to get away from these nutjobs

ain’t no way I can afford to move out in my city
amen brotherrr i hate it here 💀

I currently live with my parents, but it looks like arrangements are going to change as we move to the Northeast. It looks like I may have my own apartment. :O

Renting! I love being at the mercy of whims of the landlord 🙄

My rent didn't go up this year at least.

Definitely fortunate enough to be able to live with my family. It has its downsides, but I generally get along with my siblings (still in school) so it's nice to be able to spend time with them before they move out to college.

i still live with my parents/family. it will probably still be a while before i move out (i'd like to with my bf down the line) but it gives me time to save money so i can actually (maybe) buy something instead of renting

Right now I'm renting a townhouse appt with my roommates! I always feel really limited and frustrated when I'm at home even though I love my family so I had to get out of there!! It's a cute little place but we have creaky stairs and a few things that could be better but I can't complain too much, I like it here a lot.

I rent a house with my partner and one other mutual friend. We get along well, but sometimes I wish it was financially feasible for my partner and I to live on our own without having to downgrade to a one bedroom apartment or something. (We used to live in a six person household so this is better for sure!) The three of us have been roommates since 2018.

I cant imagine being able to actually own a home, but we are fortunate that we are renting an actual house with a yard. The house had just gone on the market and was seriously dilapidated when we found it (not unsafe, just dirty and in need of some repairs), so we got in at a much lower rent price than the average in our area.

I rent an apartment with my partner. It's a bit too small since we don't have space for a table that guests could gather around (and play board games for example 😭) but we are fortunate to have two terraces and otherwise it's really nice. A bath tub would also have been nice though... But yeah I'm not complaining.

Fortunately it's an unlimited contract unlike our previous one so theoretically we could stay here forever. I hate the limited time renting contracts, they should be banned or otherwise hugely limited (much cheaper or something).

I rent with a couple others. My flatmates are amazing and I have a living situation that I'm happy with! Downside is that rent is expensive and it makes me sad lol. Goal is to buy a house one day, but that seems like a pipedream right now

I (25 yr.) currently live with my dad and my brother (23 yr.). It will be a long while before I am ready to live on my own, since certain affairs likes bills and taxes are a nightmare. Both my dad and I feel like I do not have the mental capacity for paying bills and taxes, so he is in the process of being my guardian. And I do need to learn to clean and whatnot too. I will not be doing any hardcore cleaning, but I will at least do the basics. I know this is advised against, but I plan to put my bills on auto-pay. And I think you can pay a company to do your taxes. I did fill out some 1040 EZ sheets in my sophomore year of high school, but my memory is rusty.

Then money is another factor. I currently do not have a bank account, since we need to get other things done first, but I would need to spend a lot of time saving up money first. I do things at my own pace, have a very hard time when it comes to figuring out certain things, and am very sensitive to being scolded (by a boss in this case), so I definitely probably am not able to hold down a job. I will be getting on disability for my ASD and possible ADHD, which is only a few thousand dollars per mouth. HOWEVER, as some of you know, I have been seriously looking into being an author. While there is a LOT more to this than the money, it will certainly help, and I will not have to deal with the stigma of being on disability after a while, if all goes well enough.

I think renting an apartment would probably be a smart choice for me, if I am ever able to live on my own. Being a homeowner is expensive as hell and a lot of work. I am very unsure about how renting apartments works, though, since my parents never rented an apartment. I really do not want a landlord disrupting me every month for rent, so I wonder if rent is paid automatically in some places. Plus, I do not know if you even have to pay bills in an apartment (or maybe it is apart of the rent), as renting an apartment works very differently from being a homeowner.

Other than the delayed independence and the financial factors, this is hard to explain, but there are just some other things (familial-related) I would need to figure out before heading out on my own.

i still live at home with my parents and two siblings and probably won't be able to move out any time soon because a) rent in this country is ridiculous and b) my mental health is so bad i can't currently hold a job anyway. whomp whomp. i pay "rent" to my parents, and while i appreciate that it's obviously cheap, i wish they weren't so... mean? about it. my mom is always making snide remarks about it and making me feel bad for using basic utilities (less so than my brother, who she never comments on) even though i also pay for my own phone and buy my own snacks/drink, too. (which cannot be said for my siblings.) if it weren't for the fact that someone else would eat it, i'd probably even buy my own groceries. ideally, i know i'd be better off not living with them, because the disparaging environment is definitely bad for me but. it is what it is in this economy lmao.

I live with my mom, and we rent together. However, my father doesn't live with us anymore, he moved out when I was 13, but I'm still in contact with him.

We pay the bill on the 1st of every month, and the rent goes up sometimes, to the point that I often worry that we won't be able to pay the rent again.

I live with my partner in our three-bedroom duplex apartment. We are decades away from paying off the mortgage. 😅

I moved house three times last year and I'm so glad to no longer be at the mercy of landlords.

I live w/ the fam. It'd be nice to live on my own but w/ my killer anxiety, Asperger's, borderline schizophrenia, inability to drive, and forgetfulness, etc. it's not exactly practical. Sometimes I feel like such a failure. T.T

I'm currently renting with my little family, the housing market is just too crazy for us right now. we had the chance to move back home with my mom but i don't see that being a good fit for me, especially since i have my own family and a dog lol plus one of my sisters and her family already lives there as well sooo that would be way too many people for my comfort. i definitely like having my own space, but i can see the thought of moving back home to be a nice one. we're hoping once everything settles down we can finally find a nice house and not have to worry about renting anymore although our landlord has been super amazing to us so i can't really complain about it, especially at a time when everyone and their mommas was raising rent like crazy he actually took off $100 and from the whole time we've lived here he's never raised the rent once, so we are very lucky.

I currently rent. I like living not at home 😭😭😭 but rent... sigh...

my ultimate goal is to own the place I live!

I'm underage, so I only have the ability to choose between living with my mom and little brother, my dad, stepmom, and baby half-brother, or on the streets. As soon as I can, I'll be hightailing out of here because my province is terrible.

Last edited:
Back