• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

do u rent/own/live with ur parents ?

situation??

• live with family

Votes: 47 62.7%
  • mortgage

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • rent

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • paid off house (wowie)

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • other

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters

mogyay

✨night night✨
Bells
Pink Hybrid Hyacinth
Red Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
Red Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
Red Hyacinth
Zipper Sakura
My Melody Easter Egg
Sweetheart Easter Egg
Spring Sakura
i stayed with my parents for a lot of my 20s (blessed and i miss living with them sm) so i was able to save a deposit for a little flat of my own (blessed, live in a city where it's not impossible to buy) and i feel happy/proud im a solo home owner (with a huge mortgage LOL) !

i know its basically impossible for ppl to rent/buy in some areas and it sucks 🥺 i wish housing was more affordable !

ps sry im nosey

I pay my dad rent every month for a house he had bought for me. I like my house and the only thing I wish I had are an additional two rooms and a garbage disposal and dishwasher but they aren’t that important. When it gets warmer, I definitely need to clean out some stuff left by the previous owners of the house in the backyard and try to make it look nicer. All I really need is a small lawnmower that I can keep in my basement and maybe a small grill to grill some stuff during the summer.

Pretty much same as oak! My husband and I rent, but we lived with my parents until a year ago because they own a house and had extra rooms. I love my parents but it was too much to be with them 24/7, they are not easy. The relationship between my parents and me has only improved with the move because now we can decide when we want to see each other and enjoy it, rather than "enduring" each others company. I am extremely grateful we were able to live with them for so long, we wouldn't have managed financially otherwise on an immigrant's and a student's income ;u; (For reference, we are 26&30)

Ownership or mortgage is out of the question until I finish my studies and can contribute properly. We definitely want to stop renting asap though, because we could be paying off a loan with this rent money rather than throwing it at our very wealthy and very unfriendly landlord 😅

I live with my family! Our house is paid off, but we're trying to move up north closer to Canada this year. I'd like to have my own place someday, but I think I'd be lonely living by myself and I like spending time with my parents and our cats, so it's not something I'm really thinking about right now.

I live with my family! Our house is paid off, but we're trying to move up north closer to Canada this year. I'd like to have my own place someday, but I think I'd be lonely living by myself and I like spending time with my parents and our cats, so it's not something I'm really thinking about right now.

i would have happily stayed with my family forever! i loved living with them and i get quite lonely on my own so i definitely feel u ! a big driving force for me was work and wanting to be closer as they live a little distance away , i love the idea of multi generational houses (altho i understand why that doesn't work w everyone for sure !)

i currently live at home and i pay rent with my mental sanity 🤗

unfortunately i live in a big city where cost of living is astronomical so buying or living by urself is near impossible so it is what it is. i can't see myself moving into the suburbs as i like the big city lifestyle.

Moved in with my estranged dad since he had no where to live and I had moved out of my previous apartment since I had broken up with my ex. Worked out and we've lived together since then! Now I take care of him due to an injury he had, which left him disabled. He doesn't get much from his retirement, so I (and the fiancé) pay most of the bills.

Regardless of our past, I'm grateful I had the opportunity to essentially mend our relationship and grow closer as father and son.

We are in the same city so I do agree that it is so hard for young people to start on the property ladder 🥹 I do kind of own (complicated but shared ownership) I could type forever on this but I would bore people 😂💜

I rent with my partner & it would take a major unfortunate event for me to move back home… (love my family but I enjoy my freedom)

Goal is to buy a house someday 🥲

I rent a townhouse with my partner! We could logically own our own home but the housing market gave us the finger so we're stuck renting in the meantime until something crashes.

It's complicated. One of my parents passed away at the age of 48. While he had a decent living and trade, we weren't exactly ready for this, and definitely not left with financial stability. So I ended up being moved around with my siblings a bunch.

So we finally ended up staying with extended family. There isn't much asked of rent, but there are serious substance abuse issues. (and sometimes just generally abusive. I was hit last year by an angry drunk family member, then almost was gaslit into thinking it was my fault).

My siblings eventually left. I lag behind as the youngest. I'm still on good terms and text them frequently. At least it gives me the chance to vent some of the happenings.

It's not always bad. Gets lonely with almost my entire immediate family gone. And it's easy enough to tell when a 'situation' will occur.

I live with my mom, ain’t no way I can afford to move out in my city 💀 but that’s ok because she cooks for me and I’d have no time to cook if I lived on my own because I work too much

I live in an apartment with my parents! It’s actually the same apartment building that I spent most of my childhood in, except we live one floor above our old apartment.

There’s never been a time where I’ve lived anywhere except with my parents, and I’ve never been expected to pay any bills (except my own personal ones) or rent. I’m very grateful for my parents and all they have done and provided for me my whole life, but I’m definitely hoping to be able to move out on my own within the next 5 years. As nice as free housing is with them, the environment with my parents is overall miserable and toxic, and the longer I live with them, the more my relationship with them deteriorates.

I love my parents, but they’re not easy to live with. They’re both always angry and miserable, and they often drag other people down (aka me) with them. Misery really does love company, and it’s not good for my mental health to be surrounded by so much negativity and anger all of the time. My only escape from it is when they go out or when I shut myself in my room and put my headphones on to tune them out, and it’s exhausting.

They both have issues, both personal ones and ones with each other, and neither of them seem willing to change or at least get the help that they need, so the cycle of misery and anger is just going to continue with them. I’ve tried my best to support and help them both, but I can’t help someone who doesn’t want it. So, my priority now is getting Bonk and I into an apartment of our own, and loving and supporting my parents from a distance. I love my parents and care about them so, so much, but once I’m out, I’m never living with them again.

I think it’ll be good for all 3 of us to put some distance between us, and to be able to see each other when we actually want to, not just because we live together and we have no other choice. I think it’ll do wonders for repairing our relationship, as well as helping me start to heal from all of the hurtful stuff they’ve done/said over the years. There’s this quote that says something along the lines of, “You can’t heal in the same place that broke you”, and it’s definitely true for me.

Moving out on my own will be tricky because of how absolutely outrageous housing prices are in Canada, but I’ll figure something out! I always do. :’)

okay that’s my dose of oversharing on the internet for the day!

I live with my mom, my sister, and now her husband. I've been wanting to move out for ages but it's so expensive here and unfortunately even more so where my girlfriend lives. The two of us together should be able to afford a small apartment, though, so that's what I'm working toward for now!

I live with family. I’ve been out of uni just under two years and I’m not particularly good at saving. I’d like to move out at some point but rent in my area is quite expensive and unaffordable. Most of my mates have girlfriends so isn’t really want to move out till then so I’d have to move out by myself

i still live with my parents, but i'm in my mid-twenties and i can't do this for much longer. i've been super lucky to have them not kick me out. i've had a rocky couple of years (long story) and i currently work every day of the week but still can't afford to rent by myself l o l but i'm about to finish my masters degree and i will finally be qualified for better paying jobs and i will be able to rent by myself.

I'm 24 and still live with my parents rent-free (thank goodness), though I work quite a bit. I'm getting to the point where I'm really wanting to move out as I'm sick of my parents' habits, but cannot due so as everything semi-decent around me is expensive and I don't make enough to live on my own. Rooming with friends isn't an option, as I value privacy and alone time greatly. Not to mention that I haven't talked to any friends in over five months.

Renting may be my only realistic option at the moment, though I realize that I'll get nothing in return if I move out. I've gotta wait for the interest rates to dip, and that hasn't happened for quite a while.

i am still a # child (21 years of age and graduating uni in the summer) so aside from during uni term time when i rent a (very cheap!!) student house with my friends, i still live with my parents. the thought of being an independent adult is crazy even though i know some people i went to school with are living with partners now??
if i was entering the job world this summer i probably would still continue to live with my parents, but as it is i'm avoiding reality and doing a masters degree so it'll be another year of living with friends and then going home to my parents. very much hoping that finding a graduate stem job with a masters degree will let me afford some kind of rented living situation but it will depend where the job world takes me, as living near where i have my whole life will definitely be crazy expensive. if i stay near uni it is probably a lot cheaper!

Back