Smoking

Do you approve of smoking, and is it something you do?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not interested whatsoever.

People at university would smoke right in front of doors which was the rudest thing ever, as everyone would be forced to walk through their smoke 🙄 Some really need to be more considerate of those around them.

I was addicted to nicotine for a few years and switched to vaping to try and quit. That only made my addiction much worse though. I was able to just stop a little over a year ago when my body just kept feeling so gross from it. Honestly, quitting cold turkey was one of the most empowering things i've ever done (way to go past Parker!) I wouldn't wish addiction on anybody, and nicotine is just one of those drugs where the only satisfaction (outside of people who do it socially/to get more work breaks i suppose) is feeding the addiction. I wish there was more marketing on addiction and recovery services, but I don't hate the idea of smoking tobacco entirely. For example, I've heard of Native American tribes who use it as a part of their rituals, and I think that's beautiful.

Honestly, my biggest issue surrounding smoking/addiction is the people who look down on those who are struggling with addiction. It doesn't make you a terrible person to have struggles, and the criminal stigma associated with it is beyond upsetting to me. If you've never had to go through these feelings of being entirely dependent on a substance that only wants to kill you and take your money/time, then I am so happy, but I think it's lame to treat/think of people as human garbage for having a crutch. There's so much merchandise surrounding coffee addiction and coffee lovers, and it's seen as entirely acceptable. It's sad to me that we just pick and choose what substances to demonize people for, but I guess that's just a part of society. There can be terrible consequences for people suffering from addiction as well as for the people around them, but treating it as evil just prevents people from seeking help.

I understand that there a plenty of reasons why people would look down so heavily on those who use specific drugs. For example, they may know someone or have had their lives personally impacted by the consequences of drug addiction. At the same time, I think addiction is the sort of thing that needs lots of support, so I'm passionate about sharing how I feel. Feel free to hate my guts for having smoked or for sympathizing with addiction, and I won't do anything to stop you. I really wish people were more sympathetic though

Last edited:
this is a weird question for me because I hate smoking and the effects it can have on people (spending so much money on it, putting addiction as a higher priority than family, etc) but also because my dad smokes the smell of it is super nostalgic for me?? it's very difficult to explain but I don't think I could ever be in a relationship with someone who smoked just because I would be worried about where their priorities were if something bad happened

I don’t smoke and I don’t like the smell. I lost two grandparents due to them smoking so I do wish others would consider quitting. However, I don’t actively look down on it or feel the need to comment on it when others do it’s just not my business.

I used to smoke & my boyfriend currently smokes so it's become normalized to me. He's already cut back a lot in an attempt to quit but an addiction to nicotine is extremely hard to over come especially if you're already stressed. Bothering a smoker to quit when you haven't been addicted to something has very little impact I find. The only reason I quit smoking was because I became sick in my lungs after only 2 years and it forced me to quit. Two rounds of antibiotics and quitting smoking allowed my lungs to finally clear the infection. High five for decisions I made as a teenager.

It is upsetting when people smoke around their kids though. Both my parents smoked in the house my whole childhood and I'm sure it influenced my sister and I starting smoking in our teens. I don't hold any bad feelings against my parents though because that's what both of their parents did and the cycle continued.

I had double pneumonia when I was 12 so my parents warned me at a young age about what smoking could do to me with my already weak lungs. I always stayed away from it, it doesn’t bother me when I’m around people who do mostly because I lOve the smell.. it reminds me of my grandmother ...lmao

I voted before reading the whole thing lol. I AM a smoker, but not of tabacco as you can tell by my sig.

I don't smoke cigs and don't care who prefers to smoke.

Do you approve or disapprove of smoking cigarettes? Have you smoked before?

I know of several people who smoke. The smoke smell left by the cigarettes are not pleasant at all aroma wise and just knowing that they are putting toxins in their body that may ultimately harm them one way or another in the end is simply not my cup of tea. I never have approved of it and never will personally, especially since I have asthma.

I was addicted to nicotine for a few years and switched to vaping to try and quit. That only made my addiction much worse though. I was able to just stop a little over a year ago when my body just kept feeling so gross from it. Honestly, quitting cold turkey was one of the most empowering things i've ever done (way to go past Parker!) I wouldn't wish addiction on anybody, and nicotine is just one of those drugs where the only satisfaction (outside of people who do it socially/to get more work breaks i suppose) is feeding the addiction. I wish there was more marketing on addiction and recovery services, but I don't hate the idea of smoking tobacco entirely. For example, I've heard of Native American tribes who use it as a part of their rituals, and I think that's beautiful.

Honestly, my biggest issue surrounding smoking/addiction is the people who look down on those who are struggling with addiction. It doesn't make you a terrible person to have struggles, and the criminal stigma associated with it is beyond upsetting to me. If you've never had to go through these feelings of being entirely dependent on a substance that only wants to kill you and take your money/time, then I am so happy, but I think it's lame to treat/think of people as human garbage for having a crutch. There's so much merchandise surrounding coffee addiction and coffee lovers, and it's seen as entirely acceptable. It's sad to me that we just pick and choose what substances to demonize people for, but I guess that's just a part of society. There can be terrible consequences for people suffering from addiction as well as for the people around them, but treating it as evil just prevents people from seeking help.

I understand that there a plenty of reasons why people would look down so heavily on those who use specific drugs. For example, they may know someone or have had their lives personally impacted by the consequences of drug addiction. At the same time, I think addiction is the sort of thing that needs lots of support, so I'm passionate about sharing how I feel. Feel free to hate my guts for having smoked or for sympathizing with addiction, and I won't do anything to stop you. I really wish people were more sympathetic though
This wholeheartedly. Addiction as a trait runs in my family.

For the cigarettes, the smell can give me a headache. I tried it once or twice - fear of missing out - but never enjoyed it. But it's never something I'll judge somebody over

Last edited:
Ideally, smoking isn't great for your health so I would prefer people didn't so they live healthy/happy etc...but it's to each their own ultimately. I personally wouldn't be able to be in a relationship with a smoker especially if they insisted on smoking indoors but other than that I don't really care if friends/family do (it's their choice).

I don't smoke. I did grow up with a parent that was a chronic smoker which wasn't great. Putting aside the health effects of second hand smoke especially for children, the amount of money spent on packs of cigarattes is pretty astounding when you're in a struggling household and you deal with a multi-pack a day type smoker. I know all people have their bad habits and we all waste money somewhere, but cigarettes/alcohol/the like are something I'm glad doesn't eat out of our budget in my home.

I don't mind it if other people smoke just as long as when they are visiting my house they do it outside, I will never smoke my self because it is something that I don't want to do to my body.

I don't mind one of my old threads being bumped like this. Also, in light of recent posts I've read on here, I've added another poll option to make it more inclusive.

I don't hate the act itself, just inconsiderate smokers. Like it's rude to smoke places people don't want to be exposed to it. Kids should never have to live with someone who smokes in the house/car because they don't really have a choice in the matter. Obviously there are health issues as well but it's also an expensive habit depending on how much you do it. Also people throwing their cigarette butts on the ground irritates me, but that's more of a people littering problem in general.

The smell itself is very nostalgic to me, my grandfather used to smoke (outside ofc). I'm glad he quit though, he had lost his father to lung cancer.

I don't smoke nor do I like smoking in general, both due to the smell and the harm it does to your health. I definitely don't like people smoking around me and wouldn't hang around somebody who wasn't considerate of that, nor would I want to be in a relationship with somebody who smokes. In general, if a person smokes then it's w/e, it's their choice, but obviously I'd hope they be considerate of others and make sure they don't smoke in front of others who don't want to deal with it.

I smoked for many years, starting when I was thirteen.

I quit five years ago. :)

Yikes, my perspective has definitely changed a lot since this thread was first made.

Well, two of my friends have become schizophrenic due to excessively smoking weed. One killed himself, the other’s been in a mental hospital for the past five years or so. It is not something I take so lightly anymore and I steer clear of it.

As for cigarettes, I briefly smoked just to try and fit in at a club I was working at, but the very next day I was suffering from a damaged left lung, so I’ve always took that as a bit of a sign that smoking is not a good idea for me. Nowadays the smell of nicotine is like a nostalgic perfume to me that reminds me of that particularly weird time in my life.

My partner smokes and recently tried quitting. He’s gone nearly a month without a single smoke! Very proud of him.

I don't smoke myself, but I don't care/mind if others do. At least it smells better than that darn snus/snuff **** people put under their lips.

i disapprove of smoking because it's terrible for your lungs (and several other organs), and it's also a rude thing to do around others (unless you know that they don't mind).

Of course, I'm not the type to openly hate smokers and what they're doing - it's not the smartest thing you can do to your body, but aye, I'll let 'em live the life they wanna live : P and just pray that they'll someday come out of it unscathed

I've never smoked before and I doubt I ever will...

I don't and will probably never smoke. I hate the smell of cigarettes. I don't mind the smell as much when it's a good quality (expensive) cigar. There's a cigar shop next to my favorite coffee shop and I was surprised at how nicely???? the two scents melded.

And unfortunately, I hate the smell of weed. Like an herbal skunk. Not my jam.

Mini-rant, but I used to tutor kids around the neighborhood and there was one father who deeefinitely chainsmoked in the house... the entire house reeked of cigs and I felt so bad for the kids. :( Don't smoke near your children please!

I realized I voted in the poll but never responded, lol. I personally just HATE the smell, and also I start involuntarily coughing whenever someone too close to me is smoking. I would encourage people to not engage in activities that actively harm yourself and cause financial stress, such as smoking. However, I do understand that for many people, it's a difficult addiction to curb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back