Smoking

Do you approve of smoking, and is it something you do?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never smoked, but sometimes I do get curious as to what it'd be like. I don't think I'd ever try it though--there's just too many cons attached to smoking cigarettes. All the times I've ever been offered one I've rejected it for that same reason. Maybe when I'm 80 or something (assuming I get there and am not severely incapacitated by then) I'll try it.

I don't hate cigarettes to the point that I'd protest for a law that bans them, but it does annoy me a lot when I'm next to someone who's smoking. Usually happens at a bus stop, and the wind always seems to blow in the direction I'm in.

I used to be a fairly regular smoker when I was younger (over here smoking used to be legal if you were 16 and older). It was cool, and if you didn't smoke you were only half as cool, and I didn't want to be only half as cool. Fortunately I never really developed much of an addiction because I never got the chance to smoke excessively - my mother would have given me HELL if she had caught even a WHIFF of cigarette smoke coming from me, so I always had to be super careful about where and when I had a cigarette. And over the years it just has gotten less and less. These days I only really smoke when I'm super stressed out. One pack of cigarettes lasts me half a year or so. I'm glad I never made it a real addictive habit, but I also don't mind smokers if they're respectful enough to not smoke if someone requests it. (I for one never smoke when people who don't smoke are around.)

never did never will i truly hate it. i don't mind if you do it on your own but smoking in public or in the streets is just disrespectful. I don't get the point of spending a crazy amount of money just so you can ruin your life and annoy others with it.
Also it's NOT a personality trait. People who only define themselves by the fact that they smoke are so ridiculous.

Hate it to be honest. Never done it myself and never will. I’ve never had alcohol either. Don’t mind if you do it as long as you’re not affecting others with it. Above post summarizes my thoughts well on the matter.

Like most people on here I don't really mind if other people smoke knowing its bad for their health, and I'm sure they have reasons that they continue to do so (though I hope they'll eventually quit). I just can't stand when people subject others to second-hand smoke. Hurt yourself if you must, but don't hurt others

I used to be in the 'I don't smoke but don't mind it' category but now I just hate it. I grew up with family members who smoked, some of them chain-smoked, so I was used to it. It was never something I was interested in, but it didn't bother me to be around others who smoked.

Then, I met my husband and he is severely allergic to cigarette smoke. He cannot breathe at all when exposed to it and even if the exposure only lasts a short time, the effects stay with him all day. His eyes and throat burn and he suffers a great deal. When I would visit my family members that smoked, I would have to change clothes and takes a shower as soon as I got home because the cigarette smoke was in my hair and on my clothes. Even that was enough to trigger his allergic reaction. And most smokers really don't care or even realize how far their smoke spreads. They crowd doorways at public places, approach us on the street when we're walking our dog, and they don't even think about how their smoke is affecting other people. My husband can't even ask them to move because his throat is closing up and he can't speak. He just has to hold his breath and push past them or walk away, which I'm sure they think is rude but he's in agony.

So after seeing everything he has had to endure, I can't stand smoking and try to avoid being around people when they are smoking.

Smoking is a habit that not only actively and passively endangers the person doing it, but puts the people around them in harm's way, too.

I hate it with a burning passion, and have since I was very little. As a child it was fueled by extended family members who smoked and many of them died young likely as a result from smoking-related cancers. I still haven't been able to escape how horrified I was visiting one particular family member in a hospice who had a hole in her neck amongst other health complications that traumatized me when I saw how quickly she had deteriorated in such a short time.

For health reasons it's dangerous for me to be around smokers. After even just a few minutes of inhaling cigarette smoke I get a headache, and if I'm unlucky it can trigger a migraine. I've had to break off a friendship in the past because a particular friend didn't respect my request to ask them not to smoke around me (and I would always get sick when visiting their house or riding in their car). And then there's the animal abuse that really enrages me when I see people smoking in front of their pets. Everyday there is a man in my neighborhood who sits on a bench smoking for half an hour with his dog right in front of him.

I haven't ever smoked anything, and it irritates me when I'm out in public and all of a sudden somebody comes up next to me and starts smoking something (I don't care if others like smoking though, just go do it somewhere far away from me).

Last edited:
I hate it. I neither smoke nor have any interest in smoking. While I’d prefer if people did not smoke around me, I do not feel that I am on some kind of high horse because I don’t smoke. The same goes for vaping. I despise it, but I can’t police what other people do.

I don't smoke but l think it's wrong and so not healthy. I feel bad for those who can't stop and getting lung problems.

This is one of the only substances labeled carcinogenic where I genuinely believe that there’s no way to have it in moderation. For most things, you have to be taking it in dosages where cancer is the least of your worries (like with eating smoked products-you have to be eating a LOT of it on a regular basis). Cigarettes are the same way, but with how you take it in, you’re putting the carcinogen right into your lungs, and with how nicotine works you’re bound to become addicted to them if you get past the first few. While I’ve never been really exposed to smoking, I’ve heard from my dad (he only tried it once) that it’s awful trying that first cigarette.

I don't smoke and I voted for hate it but I think I would really be somewhere more inbetween options 2 and 3. I get why people smoke and enjoy smoking, like the ritual of it all or just a reason to excuse yourself from social situations to go out for smoke. And in a lot of crappy jobs that I have worked at (like food industry jobs for example ) if you don't smoke you don't get a break.. like the only breaks are smoke breaks. This is super unfair of course but yet this situation still seems to persist.

If you are one of those people who can truly just be a casual smoker then I don't think that's a huge deal. That being said I think someone who hasn't tried smoking / started smoking should probably just avoid it. You don't want to end up addicted to it.

Basically all of what I wrote above would apply mostly to acquaintances or not very close friends. Anyone who is actually close to me in my life I don't think I could deal with them being a smoker, definitely not a heavy smoker. My dad died from lung cancer when I was 19 (he was 56) and it seemed like a pretty bad way to go if I'm honest (although I think the same is true for all cancers). And as I sort of said above I know not everyone who smokes is going to end up in the same fate but when it comes to people close to me I'm just not cool with even the possibility that things could end up the same way for them.

as long as theyre not smoking in my vincinity, i don't mind it. i can't be on my knees for every single smoker like i used to, begging them to reconsider their health, because that usually doesn't get them to stop.

ok so i'm 20 but my mom would still kill me if she found out i smoked, is that just me

i have never even tried. i don't judge people for smoking but i don't think i'll ever do it myself because it smells and i'm not hyped about the health effects it has. there was a time when i was influenced by Aesthetic Skinny Girl Tumblr and thought smoking was Aesthetic but uhhh no not really about that anymore.

My mother died from COPD in 2018 after being a heavy smoker for most of her years. They told her in 2009 when she was diagnosed and put on a ventilator with a 50/50 chance to live, that if I hadn't gotten her to quit in 2003, that she would have died then. My dad also smoked most of his life and quit the same year (2003). He has done better because he was over a decade younger than my mother and had less exposure, but it still would have been better for him to have never smoked at all.

The thing with smoking is that, even though it doesn't affect your cognition the way alcohol abuse does, it's something you cannot do in moderation. I was told many times as a youth that I would smoke simply because my parents did. But I never took up the habit as I found it gross, and I'm glad. My husband doesn't smoke either.

There's no benefit to smoking. You cannot even do it in moderation. It will catch up with you unless you have amazing genetics.

Absolutely ****ing hate it. If I ever found out someone I dated smoked, even if just 'a little bit' I would break up with them on the spot. You can go damage your body for absolutely no good reason all you want, but I will not be a part of that. They either gotta quit or they can say bye to me, idc.

My hatred comes from family who smoke. I hate that the smell will cling to soft objects and hair/clothes. In my elementary years I would come to school smelling like smoke (thou people didn't know it was me I think, they just said 'why does it smell like cigarette smoke' when I was in the room) because my parent would smoke in the car before dropping my sister and I off to school. I have loads more instances that just make me hate it so much that come from experiences of people around me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back