• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Does whether or not a person smokes/uses drugs affect your opinion of them?

no. too much unnecessary empathetic energy i could use on my own hedonism

but i do have oxygen tanks just don't blow me up

Naw not rly, i dont smoke but i do like the smell of tobacco so being around it doesnt bother me in most cases. Weed smoke smells like cat poo tho (as a fan and friend of many felines in my lifetime) bleureughhugh brulhlgh not that it would affect my friendship with any theoretical weed smokers but uuughhblugh berlugh urrough. It depends how the drug(s) itself plays into the individual's personality tbh. Ive known too many ppl who r like * watches Requiem for a Dream once * and it's very immature & insufferable to be around

I don’t smoke or do drugs either. My grandma used to smoke, as did my late grandfather (on occasion), and some other uncles, but it doesn’t affect my opinion of them as people. A lot of my characters smoke, too, but I’m not sure why I made them do it lol.

As far as smokers go, I don’t like it when parents smoke in the car with the windows rolled up as the kids sit in the backseat. But that’s just a personal thing.

My aunt and uncle drink alcohol in moderation, and they have some “wine mom” humor stuff on coasters. Personally, the wine mom stuff is kinda cheesy, but funny— as long as someone isn’t using it the wrong way.

I don’t really care if someone does weed or edibles, as long as they aren’t acting weird or obnoxious about it. Hard drugs— I’m not so sure about. I’m ignorant on the subject of hard drugs, but I’ve heard some people micro-dose LSD for depression. I think this is fine as long as it’s responsible. Heroin, meth, ecstasy, PCP, fentanyl, magic mushrooms, OxyContin, cocaine…I start to get a little worried. (Again, maybe due to my ignorance on the subject.)

I wouldn’t judge an addict (drug or alcohol)— just hope they get help. Though it does NOT excuse any abuse towards spouses or children. (I don’t have any personal experience being or knowing an addict, so I can’t really say.)

Last edited:
As long as people's actions don't affect me or those around me, then go for it! You're free to do as you please as an adult. I try to base my opinion on people solely on how they treat others and such. I don't really care what people do in their private/personal lives.

*packs a bowl*

I don't smoke. I don't even drink. However, whatever other people do with their bodies is their choice. I have too much going on in my life to worry about what others are doing anyway. The smoke smell does bother me but I will just leave and go to a different area.

Not really. It’s their body and their choice. I don’t think I would date someone who smokes because of second hand smoke, but I think people should be allowed to do it.

Yes I judge smokers (in my mind), smoking is stupid and nasty and I will absolutely judge you for that if you were wondering.

When I met my boyfriend he used to smoke (not heavily), but he quit very quickly, he only smoked like four or five cigarettes after meeting me. I could not be together with someone who smoked. Just the thought of my boyfriend having smoked turns my stomach around, makes me feel sick. He started smoking because apparently it was the only way to get a break at his past workplace (yes, that's illegal if you were wondering).

Half of my boyfriends family and friends in Italy smoke which was/is shocking to me, since in my whole family I know only one person who smokes or smoked (?) occasionally, and I never used to have a friend who smokes until recently.

I have never used drugs and never will (not including alcohol here), and while I will never understand smoking I can somewhat understand how some people would want to use some drugs, trying to cope with whatever they have going on. And I guess the second camp would be party users. So whether I'd judge or not or how much would depend on a case by case basis I guess. At some point it would probably tip more to feeling sorry for someone than "judgement" (hard drugs).

Either way, what is judgement?

To me, it's thinking "I believe that you can do better than that".

Not like anyone should care if I judge!
Everyone is free to judge whatever. Just be careful how you act about it.

Last edited:
Yes and no. I don't mind people smoking marijuana, vaping, or drinking alcohol, but the smoking of cigarettes and the use of hard drugs bother me. I'm very much against cigarettes and hard drugs because that is what f-ed up my childhood. When my mom was pregnant with me, she was using meth and cocaine, along with smoking cigarettes. She stopped the hard drugs early on in her pregnancy (thank god), but she continued to smoke cigarettes. Because of that, when I was born, I wasn't able to breathe. I had to be put on a ventilator to help me breathe because of her smoking cigarettes. After that, my mom went back to using hard drugs around me, even purchasing them with me in the car. That is what f-ed up my early childhood a lot, along with what the people she hung around did. Today, I can't stand the scent of cigarette smoke, and it used to give me an asthma attack. Luckily, I don't have asthma anymore. But yeah, drugs aren't cool, kids 😀

Back