• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Popular Games That You Dislike

Bells
April Birthstone (Diamond)
White Lily
Yellow Pansy
Red Rose
Blue Hybrid Pansy
White Cosmos
White Violet
Yellow Violet
Yellow Tulip
Purple Violet
This is going off of @King koopa's "games you like that everyone else hates" thread, so credit to him for the original idea.

Are there any popular/well-received games that you just don't like? I know I have some. The definition of "popular" here can vary, but in general, it just has to be a game that most people like, even if it's more of a cult classic. I'll start!

Pokémon Red/Blue/Yellow- I know that some of the Pokémon fandom is screaming right now, but I don't like the original games. I understand that they were pretty innovative at the time of release, but they're just way too glitchy and broken for my tastes. I don't like Kanto as a region due to personally finding it boring and being turned off by Game Freak (and genwunners) showing blatant favoritism towards it. I like Squirtle and Bulbasaur, am a bit neutral on Eevee, but I don't like Pikachu (much prefer Raichu) or Charmander's entire line. Seriously, Clefairy should have been the mascot. Even if I did love Kanto, I'd rather play the GBA remakes or even Let's Go.

Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2- I don't have a problem with the games themselves, the storylines are cool and once again, innovation, but I have terrible motion sickness and physically can't play the games without getting nauseous. I actually got the game from my aunt who suffered from motion sickness because of the game, then I had to give it away due to motion sickness. Apparently Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort were fine, but Mario Galaxy was too much for me.

Undertale- Nothing super specific to say about this one. Used to be a huge fan, but then Deltarune came out and, at least in my opinion, blew Undertale right out of the water. The game still has a killer soundtrack and memorable characters, but gameplay wise, I think Deltarune is so much better and every time I've tried to replay Undertale, I found myself getting bored and the story is just a little too much for me. I get the message, but I want to be able to be a killer maniac without feeling bad about it, lol.

But these are just a few of mine. I'd love to hear what you folks have to say.

I don’t like Minecraft. I mean I should because it’s everything I like in games BUT I hate it. I see my sisters spend hours making weird houses but you can’t detail like you could if you just played sims 4. Idk maybe I don’t make sense but yeah I really really don’t like it.

I don’t like Minecraft. I mean I should because it’s everything I like in games BUT I hate it. I see my sisters spend hours making weird houses but you can’t detail like you could if you just played sims 4. Idk maybe I don’t make sense but yeah I really really don’t like it.
Yeah, I was big on Minecraft before, back when it was still getting big, but nowadays there's so many new mobs and such that I'm just confused, lol. Idk, maybe I'm old.

I don't like Genshin Impact alot. The only characters that I liked when I played the game are Venti and Zhongli, other characters are meh to extremely forgettable. The lack of a proper in-game login bonus and the resin system made the experience worse in my opinion.

Other free gacha games have a proper permanent login bonus in which Genshin Impact lacks. I want to like the game, but I couldn't find myself really liking and enjoying the game because of these issues regarding the basic features like the login system and resins.

Probably going to get hate for this but here we go:

1. Call of Duty: Its always the same game every year when it comes out and its just like any other FPS game.

2. Fortnite: That game was always overrated and I never saw the appeal in it.

3. Super Mario Galaxy: The motion controls are just so bad even on the Switch there was no option to play with buttons.

4. Super Smash Bros: I was never into fighting games and it was the one game that really turned me off when so many people talked about it.

There are so many games that fall in this category. These opinions are really unpopular, so try not to be too surprised.

- Genshin Impact. I really liked the game when I first played it. The world was stunning and I liked the social aspect. The problem is the micro-transactions and the grinding. They seep into every aspect of the game. From beating enemies to getting decent character you have to pay money or spend hours grinding. If you don’t you’ll never catch up with your friends. In my case I grinded for months. The “reward” was monotonous scenes with minor characters that add nothing to the story. After a while the only reason I stayed on was to catch up with my friends and explore the gorgeous world. Now I’m taking a break since the burn out was so abysmal.

- Persona 3 FES. I honestly think the only reason people like this game is because of the decent music and story. The gameplay is absolutely terrible. You climb the same boring tower over and over with little variation. Battles boil down to luck since you can’t control most of your party. You can pick “tactics” that slightly affect how they perform, but what they do is entirely based on bad A.I. I hope you like having Mitsuru spam a useless status move on every enemy she encounters. Persona 3 Portable is marginally better since you have control over your party, but the awful dungeon crawling is kept intact. Plus you have deal with worse graphics and muffled audio. With this game you really have to pick your poison.

- The Legend if Zelda: Ocarina of Time. This was my first Zelda game and an incredibly innovative game for its time. Sadly it hasn’t held up that well. The story is cliched, even by Zelda standards, Hyrule Field is an empty slog, and the dungeons are a complete mixed bag. For every Shadow Temple, there’s a Water Temple. I don’t think the game is terrible, but it’s completely outclassed the 3D Zelda games that followed it.

- Trails in the Sky: The 3rd. Talk about a rehash. Nearly every area is recycled from the first two games. The only difference is the order you go through them and the enemies you encounter. The second game pretty much finished the main arc in this “trilogy,” so you’re left with a story that is nothing more than an excuse why all of these characters have reunited. The best part of this game was being able to see optional scenes that serve as epilogues for the first two games. They’re genuinely great. I just don’t why they couldn’t be DLC.

- The entire Danganronpa trilogy. I know everyone bashes the third game, but they’re honestly I don’t like any of them. The cases felt contrived and they use the same bland villain for each entry. The third game’s ending also completely undermined what little tension the series had. At least the soundtracks are a bop.

Last edited:
Not attempting to invalidate your opinion or anything, since I can see why that would be a turn-off if you're simply not into that sort of thing. But for many people, the limitations are part of the appeal. Seeing what you can manage to create, both functionally and aesthetically, with only a limited pool of resources that require manual labor to obtain is a rewarding challenge. Not to mention, there is a charm in creating props and utilities through abstraction rather than simply being given the resources. That, combined with the fact that it's more of a survival game (more akin to something like ARK: Survival Evolved) than a life simulator makes the comparison to The Sims kind of an apple/oranges comparison, if you ask me. Outside of exhibiting creative elements, they're scarcely alike at all. It's a bit like comparing the life simulation functions of Animal Crossing to the sandbox building tools of Garry's Mod. Obviously even without the aid of mods and official expansions, Gmod is going to have a much wider array of things you can do with it, but you're likely not going to be playing these games for the same reasons or with the same frame of mind.

I'm obviously not saying that this means you have to like the game, since there's still plenty to criticize Minecraft for even on these grounds. Just that I think it's kind of peculair to dismiss the game because a different game of a completely different genre allows more advanced tools to achieve a completely different experience.

Reactions: Neb
Generally 3D/pseudo 3D Super Mario games; SM64, Odyssey etc. I did like Sunshine cause it was a fun concept they actually did something with but the rest no. Also the 3D more "true" platformers for 3ds for example were eeh.

Majora's Mask/Ocarina of Time. Sure cool idea and graphics ahead of its time but...no. Never got the point of them.

Basically popular tweenie games like PUBG, Fortnite and whatnot crap stuff floating around. I'd rather play that DS quit smoking stuff lmao. And I don't even smoke.

Phoenix Wright/Ace Attorney. I never liked Justice for All and I regret getting Dual Destinies digital $25-30 wasted just cause a person I'm not even friends with anymore wanted me to try it. I could just watch youtube videos from it even though it has cool character, the gameplay is horrid with touch and the clues are useless.

Danganronpa(played Trigger Happy Havoc for PS Vita). Again, I like some characters but I dislike the gameplay concept a lot.

Mario Kart 8/D. It's fun playing online with you guys but if those nights weren't a thing I'd sell it here and now. Battle is alright but Mirror and 200cc are the worst; horrid AI as well.

I HATE any shooter/death games.
The following are my MOST HATED.
Doki Doki Literature Club
Danganronpa
Call Of Duty
Fortnite

I just hate them all because I think games should not fuel violence and anger in people. Doki and Danganronpa are another story, I once saw pictures of death scenes online and it scared me so so much that I could not sleep without waking up and crying or do anything normal for so long until my mother helped me get better and happy again! So the first 2 are just because they personally ruined 8 months of my life but thats probably just because I was wondering what people were talking about on the internet. The violent games are self explanatory.

I don’t like Splatoon. I’m not big on shooter games anyway. I couldn’t ever get into it. That’s the main one that comes to mind. I know it’s very popular…
I really hate anything violent and especially shooters but surprisingly Splatoon games are my 3rd favorite of all time for some reason. I remember the only reason I wanted to buy the first one way back then was because I thought it was an art game for Wii U lol

I HATE any shooter/death games.
The following are my MOST HATED.
Doki Doki Literature Club
Danganronpa
Call Of Duty
Fortnite

I just hate them all because I think games should not fuel violence and anger in people. Doki and Danganronpa are another story, I once saw pictures of death scenes online and it scared me so so much that I could not sleep without waking up and crying or do anything normal for so long until my mother helped me get better and happy again! So the first 2 are just because they personally ruined 8 months of my life but thats probably just because I was wondering what people were talking about on the internet. The violent games are self explanatory.
I don't care for DDLC either. I know it's a psychological horror game and all and that there's warnings and everything, but for me, the game still glorifies scenes of people deliberately hurting themselves or...causing their own deaths, to say it nicely (don't really want to say the s-word here on TBT), but kinda masks it with the whole "haha funny anime girls, look at my game that makes fun of dating simulators!!" That, and I find the creator to be a bit on the arrogant side; he tried to roast Pokémon Legends Arceus by saying that it looked like a Gamecube game...and nearly the entire Pokémon fandom, regardless of how they felt about the game, lashed back at him, reminding him that GC graphics aren't nearly as bad as some people think they are. I have a lot of negative feelings towards Legends Arceus, but I also think that making one successful game, especially with DDLC's subject matter, doesn't automatically allow you to go and trash more successful games like that...especially ones that have nothing to do with your game. It's like if I were to make some kind of puzzle game and then go around and say that Super Mario Odyssey stinks because I'm a game dev and my opinion matters. I never liked the game anyway, but the creator made it worse.

I don't care for DDLC either. I know it's a psychological horror game and all and that there's warnings and everything, but for me, the game still glorifies scenes of people deliberately hurting themselves or...causing their own deaths, to say it nicely (don't really want to say the s-word here on TBT), but kinda masks it with the whole "haha funny anime girls, look at my game that makes fun of dating simulators!!" That, and I find the creator to be a bit on the arrogant side; he tried to roast Pokémon Legends Arceus by saying that it looked like a Gamecube game...and nearly the entire Pokémon fandom, regardless of how they felt about the game, lashed back at him, reminding him that GC graphics aren't nearly as bad as some people think they are. I have a lot of negative feelings towards Legends Arceus, but I also think that making one successful game, especially with DDLC's subject matter, doesn't automatically allow you to go and trash more successful games like that...especially ones that have nothing to do with your game. It's like if I were to make some kind of puzzle game and then go around and say that Super Mario Odyssey stinks because I'm a game dev and my opinion matters. I never liked the game anyway, but the creator made it worse.
Agree so much! <3 Even worse I saw the death scenes from those games not because I played the game, it was just an unlucky google search :(

I really hate anything violent and especially shooters but surprisingly Splatoon games are my 3rd favorite of all time for some reason. I remember the only reason I wanted to buy the first one way back then was because I thought it was an art game for Wii U lol
I said “didn’t like” because I don’t really have hatred for any game, I guess. I do have appreciation for the competition part of Splatoon. I liked picking a side and battling. I think they were called color wars or something? It was “cats vs dogs” or other similar competition.

I said “didn’t like” because I don’t really have hatred for any game, I guess. I do have appreciation for the competition part of Splatoon. I liked picking a side and battling. I think they were called color wars or something? It was “cats vs dogs” or other similar competition.
Splatfests. Yeah, I used to play until the competitive base got filled with a bunch of grown men raging at a children's game. It just kinda stopped getting fun then.

Splatfest!
Post automatically merged:

Splatfests. Yeah, I used to play until the competitive base got filled with a bunch of grown men raging at a children's game. It just kinda stopped getting fun then.
OMG THATS SO TRUE. I still play but mostly just regular battles. I am so confused how these random grown adults are raging and acting like this game is so intense and scary when its just a fun game! I love it when people have fun but when you play it just to be rude or act like you such a pro and everyone else is dumb then its not good anymore :(

Splatfest!
Post automatically merged:

OMG THATS SO TRUE. I still play but mostly just regular battles. I am so confused how these random grown adults are raging and acting like this game is so intense and scary when its just a fun game! I love it when people have fun but when you play it just to be rude or act like you such a pro and everyone else is dumb then its not good anymore :(
That’s the reason I had my messages/inbox turned off on XBOX Live — granted the Nintendo community is probably more mature… I didn’t appreciate the threatening messages who took games way too seriously.

I hate every Mario game ever made, Fortnite, and Among Us. I don't get the hype, and I never will
I agree with the Fortnite and Among Us! May I ask why you hate Mario games? And does it include Mario Kart and Sport games?? I just want to understand your opinion 😉 I do not really like the platforming ones but all the sport and kart ones I love. Also does anyone remember my favorite mario games?????
1643671736363.png
1643671748563.png

Back