• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Nicknames. Do you have one/like them?

My opinions on nicknames depends on the context in which they're used.

Online friends tend to call me by the shorthand nickname Hallo, which I like.

In person, my best friend has a shorthand nickname for me and I let her use it, but I prefer that other people use the full first name instead.

I like nicknames! The ones I give to my IRL friends are just shortened versions of their first name, but they don't mind. I think those types of nicknames are simple, but distinct enough.
I don't call my online friends by their real names, so sometimes I'll just give them a random word for a nickname that I call them occasionally as a joke. ("Oh, hey Chumcha!") Otherwise, I refer to them by their aliases.

No one has called me by a nickname with my real name yet, which is a shame 'cause I think there's a lot of potential with mine. Other than the 'random word for a nickname' spiel my online friends and I do, the only other nickname I've gotten was a slightly altered version of my own online alias. I actually like it, so I don't mind.

Yeah, nicknames are cool. I’ve had three throughout my life. The nickname that my siblings and niece call me by started when I was 5. I used to play with a kid who was my next door neighbor. He couldn’t quite say my middle name. My sisters thought that it was cute and started calling me by that name.

When my nephew was younger, I tried getting him to call me “nana” because I’m his babysitter; and I thought that my childhood nickname would be too hard for him to pronounce.

He didn’t like it for some reason and would kick and cry whenever I said it. Eventually he learned how to say “grandma” and has called me that ever since. I don’t like it but I can’t do anything about it.

Well, people never really use nicknames for me in the first place, but I will allow anyone to use the nicknames Rem and/or Rems. I only allow one person to call me Rem-Rem, and no one is allowed to call me Remy unless they accidentally use it instead of Remus. For context, Remy was my first chosen name, and I told way more people about me using that name than when I changed it again, so a bunch of people still know me as Remy, or they are having some issues adjusting to my current name (and let's be honest, the fact that I can't change my appearance to look more masc probably isn't helping). If I'm really close with someone, I'll let them use the nicknames Moe, Moon/Moony, and other various Harry Potter-related nicknames, or let them come up with their own.

lots of really cute nicknames around here, i love it ! they are such a love language to me :'))) they are great to give and receive.

my nickname is actually dino ! 🦕 bc my name is di, all my nicknames tend to be longer than my actual name which i find really delightful hehe 🤭

I love nicknames because to me they denote a sense of closeness. My birth name wasn't something you could get a lot of nicknames out of, but I figured one out that I liked and had most people call me that until I stopped trying to make my birth name work for me, lol. Now most people call me a nickname (usually Aerie or Rin) because my chosen name can be difficult to pronounce.

Yes I absolutely love nicknames! I hate being called by my full name, so I prefer shortened versions of it. I don’t mind my username on here shortened to “ali”, there’s something about that name that I really like 💕

nicknames are super cute and are so endearing! unfortunately, my name is too short to further shorten into something cutesier.... 😦 when my grandparents call me or talk to me though, they add an extra high sound "ay" syllable as a term of endearment and it makes me so happy 🥰

at some point, a few years ago, i was given the nickname "Terrorism" and i have no idea why, even now. sometimes certain people refer to me as "Tero" because of it. i have no strong feelings for it, however... its a different story if anyone calls me "Marshmallow" i dont know why i get called this, and when i ask, i get ignored.

YES I do have few nicknames, one my late grandma called me. Another is because my brother couldnt say my name as child so I was "Sissy" .

I don't have a nickname due to my name being Anna and there's no reason to cut it down, and no on ehas ever given me another name that stuck. I kind wish I had a name my friends would call me but I'm content with the name Anna, it's simple and easy, so I don't need a nickname. but nicknames on other people are cool!
Mines similar, not a lot of nicknames the only one people come up with I reallllly hate but I would love to have nicknames. My future kid/s will not have such a short and boring name as me lol

My real name starts with a J so some of my coworkers call me J-Dog/J-"Dawg" which I hate but don't really hate enough to ask them to stop 😒 Some of my other friends (mostly female friends)/sister call me female versions of my name which I don't mind but also don't really care for (I'm kinda whatever about it). Some of my other friends (mostly male friends) call me only by my last name which I also don't mind. Others will call me by only the first half of my name which, again, I don't mind at all.

I love nicknames! I always shy away from calling other (irl) people I don’t know on a very personal level nicknames, as I fear to offend them or overstep some boundary, but I like when people find nicknames for me. Even strangers. I have always had a bunch of nicknames and each friend and family member has their own nickname (or even set of nicknames) for me - which I love! Makes me feel closer to them and cherished :‘) I never thought my name (Sophia) could inspire a lot of nicknamage - but it did! There are too many to list here. 😅

I like finding nicknames for my friends as well, but that being said, I like when nicknames develop naturally from jokes or typos or out of habit. „Forced“ nicknames just for the sake of giving nicknames, usually feel kinda - well -forced.

I have used the handle Aquilla a long time online, but not a lot of nicknames sprung from it so far other than Aqui. My other online handle (Relsey) has generated a few nicknames from my guild mates as well (mostly Rel, Res -> because I play support and constantly have to resurrect folks haha). I have gotten so used to both of these names that I feel like they kinda belong to me just as much as my official name does.

Last edited:
i have a nickname and i prefer when my family uses it over my real name! i’ve had mixed feelings about my real name when i was younger but i’m starting to like it more, but the real pronunciation used to sound too mature for my liking, and the english pronunciation i made up sounds cuter but i hate when my family uses it (for non-family only lol)

my nickname has nothing to do with my real name, my uncle chose my real name and i think my dad chose my nickname, but it’s something short and sweet, i like it, and bonus points to the relatives who change the last letter, sometimes my dad will call me my nickname but change the last letter to a “u”, and it sounds nice <3 i actually don’t really like that a lot of relatives switched to my real name when i was like 17, it made me feel like we’re not close/like i’m a stranger 🥲

tha Gs irl called me Em which I’m cool with for now, brisk. My boyfriend and I have other nicknames but aside from those, nothing special. I like nicknames but I’d like them to come naturally.

It's just a shorter version of my name but it's also the only way anyone would be able to pronounce it, so I both have one and like it.

I don't have one but I'm not against them either. I know a few people who have nicknames that suit them better than their actual name.

Back