• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Nicknames. Do you have one/like them?

I don't mind nicknames, I don't introduce myself with one but sometimes people will impose a nickname upon me.

Whether or not I like a nickname is a case-by-case thing. I’ve received plenty over the years. Some of them still get used on occasion.

The only nickname I have is "Blue" because of my eye color my father calls me. The new name I picked out that I'm getting it legally changed to is just the nickname/shortened form of my deadname which is literally too short to make a nickname out of. I hate nicknames and I'm glad no one else makes them up for me.
EDIT: Typo

Last edited:
like Mars Adept, it is case-by-case, but generally i like nicknames :-) i think it is cute when people make them for me, with the exception of a shortened ver of my legal name which i don't like... the more i meet people, the more i am surprised by how many people will give you a nickname without asking. i don't really mind, i just find it funny cuz i am too nervous to nickname people unless it's something they have said they prefer

My nickname is Jules or J. Generally I always introduce myself with my full name "Julienne" but if people have been hanging around me or my closer friends for any amount of time, they'll often pick up my nickname Jules.

my nickname is the name i came up with when people struggled to say my actual name correctly. honestly i dont mind it since i've been going with it for so long now.

I think my mom tried to give me a nickname using my second name. It never really clicked and ended up using only my first name

I don't generally mind them, but I wouldn't respond to one if that's the only thing someone called me by. Plus they'd have to be pretty close to me to be granted that.

My first name is short enough to where I don't really require a nickname too.

although I don't have a nickname (or recall anyone ever giving me one), I tend to get overly conscious of them for others. e.g. did the person choose their own nickname? did someone else choose it for them and it just stuck? is the person ok with it? etc. during work the other day, I was referring to a colleague by "Thomas" (his full first name), and someone else told me "to just call him Tom".. my brain was asking so many questions lol. also, I don't feel comfortable calling someone by their nickname if we're not close, but I'll do it if they tell me to. with that said, I think me being overly conscious + feeling uncomfortable might have to do with how I don't think I've had any close friends who have/go by nicknames.

i’ve had a few nicknames. my oldest and most used one is my parents’ nickname for me, which is beans. beans has been their nickname for me ever since i was born, and they even have a couple of different variations of it for me haha; xara beans and beanies. i don’t mind it, but it’s definitely a nickname only my parents are allowed to call me— i’d feel strange if a friend or significant other called me it lol

a couple of my friends call me xar, which i don’t mind at all! i honestly thought my nickname days were over once i changed my name to xara, so xar was a pleasant surprise and honestly makes me feel very loved and cared about 🤍

one of my friends in middle school used to call me “-my birth name- bear”. she was the only one who ever did, and obviously no one’s calling me that now that i go by xara, but i thought it was cute! it was my first nickname given to me by a friend, so it meant a lot.

i honestly really like when people give me nicknames, but of course only if they come from people i know well enough and am close to. i haven’t been close to many people in my life to have many nicknames under my belt, but they make me feel known, loved, and cared about 🤍

My name is one syllable, so I've never really had a nickname before hmm. But I like my name and am happy to be called by it!

I don't have a nickname. My name is really short and I am fine with it!

I don't have any nicknames. My name is super short. The only way people can make nicknames from it is to give me a longer name. LOL

Some people have done that in the past. A few kids at school called me by a 3 word nickname just to be funny. My aunt adds a cute suffix to my name sometimes. But most people just use standard terms of endearment if they want to refer to me as something other than my given name: hun, dear, sweetie, etc.

I always wanted a longer name so I could have my choice of nicknames.

My first name is a little longer than what I usually tell people. So in the end everyone just calls me “Cheri.”

Online wise apart from IRL friends, it’s just Blink or blonk, or blomp, or blonkle, binky, blimp, idk u name it

i like nicknames!! i only really have one right now, it’s just “Ad” which are the first two letters of Adrian (and the first two letters of my deadname - my mom has been calling me Ad my whole life, so i figured it would be easier for people to switch to Adrian if the nickname was something they were used to)

i had some… questionable nicknames when i was younger. one of them was “dibs” but the weirdest one was “chili con queso“. i don’t even know how i got that nickname? my mom just started calling me that for no reason and i guess it stuck. :,]

I used to go by Emma, because it's what my ex called me... Long story there, but I don't go by that anymore as my ex is no longer in my life. My actual real name does not lend itself well to nicknames. I've never heard anything appealing to me.

In high school, there was this girl that called me "bassoon" because I was so obsessed with the instrument. That's the only other nickname I recall ever being called.

Milly is my nickname! An online friend gave me that nickname over 10 years ago. I had always wanted a nickname. A shame that I haven't talked to my friend in a while though.

Back