• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Nicknames. Do you have one/like them?

Kitsuragi

some kind of superstar
Bells
Red Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Purple Balloon
Sweet Balloon
Blue Crescent Moon
Pink Crescent Moon
Galaxy Swirl
Orange Crescent Moon
Green Crescent Moon
I personally ADORE THEM. Even if a name is super short, I still find a way to make a nickname for someone, even if it's something unrelated. Idk, i'm a big fan of how some countries will do diminutives of names and such. My chosen name is Valentin and people will call me "Val" and for some reason I just ADORE Val. Like it makes my heart swell and I feel like a dog with their tail wagging like "YES THATS ME!!" I just love it way more than Valentin, which is weird, because that's the name I chose. But whatever. I love it.

Do you have a nickname? Do you like it? How do you feel about nicknames in general?

My name is Ashley, and some people will shorten it to Ash. Also, I watched Pokémon a lot when I was little, so sometimes my dad would call me Ash Ketchum, but I didn't like that because I'd tell my dad that wasn't my name, and I'd also get annoyed because Ash Ketchum was a boy and I was a girl. I also have a nickname together with my best friend. Our friends call us the AAs, like the batteries, because our names both start with A and we have a lot of energy when we're together. I also like to call friends by nicknames/make nicknames for friends when possible

my nickname is Bug and I absolutely love it!! 🪲💕 I've actually had this nickname since I was a baby, so even though I started going by a new first name a few years ago I still use Bug as a nickname. I feel like it fits me really well, it's quirky, it's gender-neutral, and I love buggies hehe ☺️

The typical nickname people use with my name is something I despise. However I like other kind of nicknames a lot !

It depends. Nobody’s come up with any nicknames for my chosen name (Raven) yet, and I’m not sure what people would call me. There’s a couple nicknames for my given name, but since I’d already rather be called Raven I tend to not like the nicknames for it as much as I used to.

I don’t really have a nickname. Irl I get a shortened version of my real name which I am happy to be called.

You have to be very close before I even let you use my given name, let alone assign a nickname.

It's not so much that I dislike nicknames in general, so much as I don't appreciate them from people I don't know very well. It implies a level of familiarity that I may not necessarily be comfortable with. At the same time, however, I'm too meek and have a disdain for confrontation, so I typically just don't say anything if someone decides to do it. I understand that for most people it's just friendly and fun, but for whatever reason, it's honestly stressful for me.

As someone with a long name, I only go by my nickname even when I was child (which is just the shortened version of my full name). But even that was feeling long so I shortened it down to two letters. |D

I don't like to use nicknames all the time, but I admittedly like being called them. My favorite person calls me a bunch of things but mainly "Blue streak." I love when she calls me anything even remotely sweet. That was her first nickname for me since she forgot my name when we first met. She said I had blue hair and I was fast running around the restaurant, so here we are. I do use a shortened version of one of my friend's names sometimes but not every time I say her name.

yeah, for realsies!! nicknames are mega groovesters. my name’s daisy, though the peoples in my family usually call me DJ and it’s pretty rad beans. got an irl frendo who calls me dais which is ver ver cool too

I've never had a nickname (Marco), one of my (older) coworkers gave me a cutesy "nickname" for fun though, but it's actually longer (Marcolino). Ehhh, whatever.

One of my younger coworkers calls himself Konsti instead of Konstantin and it's soo cute though... 🥺

I think my mom has given me some but I don't like any of them since they're based on my birth name, which I no longer like hearing (I haven't told her though so that's not her fault).
As for online, I think I have at least one that a friend came up with? I don't mind that.

I don't have a nickname due to my name being Anna and there's no reason to cut it down, and no on ehas ever given me another name that stuck. I kind wish I had a name my friends would call me but I'm content with the name Anna, it's simple and easy, so I don't need a nickname. but nicknames on other people are cool!

I have a lot of nicknames. One that my relatives use, one when I was in grade school, one for high school, one for college, one for work, one in the gym, and one that I use for videogames.

Most people call me by a shortened version of my name. It's ok.

My mom on the other hand, likes to combine my first name and middle name as one word and I hate it. Or she uses the shortened version of my first name and add and ee sound to the end of it and add my middle name on top of that which is worse.

No I don't like nicknames in general. I really hate my name in real life and people called me so many different things.
I was made fun of in school. I will just come out and say it. My real name is "Francis" and people would make fun of it by calling it "Frankly" or "Freak" because they thought it was a French name. My teacher called me "Francewa" and I didn't take too kindly to it. After when they said that to me I was very upset. Sometimes they would call me "Frances" because they think I was a girl when the name "Francis" had a "I" in it because I am a guy. I know this got personal but yeah I wanted to change my name ever since.

i've been called jess basically my whole life (as opposed to jessica) to the extent i forget it's actually technically a nickname and not my full legal name lmao. i think nicknames are super cute though, whether they're shortened names or separate words entirely!

My actual name is “Brooke” and I don’t have any nicknames that people call me. My husband and I call each other “cutie” but idk if that would be considered a nickname since we call each other that lol

My username is my nickname. My name is Christian, but very few people even know that nevermind call me it. The only person who does is my girlfriend when she's using my full name for exaggeration. Even at work I have "Chris [surname]" on my company ID, email address, desk nameplate, etc rather than my full forename.

I like it. It suits me. I would like it if I heard my full first name from more than just my partner though!

Back