• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Mayoral Memories

Status
Not open for further replies.
dearest isabelle,

to our hard working secretary and assistant of starmore, i write this letter to you. i firstly would like to thank you for the constant support and encouragement, i truly would be at a loss without your guidance since i didn’t set off on this trip to become a mayor. while you, miranda, cheri, and chevre were so courteous as to greet me by the train station, you gaslit me into becoming the mayor of a town i had just visited!!

perhaps i’ll never actually say these words to you since you’ve accepted me so quickly and taught me everything i know, but i’ll always worry about the person who was actually supposed to be the mayor. maybe one day i’ll work up the courage to tell you, but for now i’ll just keep on doing my best since i know you’ll always have my back.

maybe in the morning i’ll reread this and realize the contents of this letter shouldn’t be sent out, if that is the case then i shall rewrite this as a simple letter to express my gratitude for you. i know i don’t show it enough as i’m constantly out running around the town trying to accomplish tasks while you’re hard at work inside the town hall.

words aren’t enough to express my appreciation for you but i hope this is a start.

from your mayor,
kirako

Here’s my entry. I’ve never really thought about my time playing New Leaf but I decided to have a bit of fun here.

My memories of being Mayor of Edenia began as a strange one. One minute I’m just a normal person on a train all alone with some cat who was being extra nosy and wouldn’t go away when I told him to stop talking to me and the next thing I know, I’m just randomly greeted as being the new Mayor of Edenia as soon as I arrive. From there I got dragged into having to make improvements to the Town and I had to set up an entire shopping district and create a new Museum and coffee shop. This Town definitely needed my help as it didn’t even have a place for Residents to cut their hair! Can you imagine that?

Over the years, I did my best to make Edenia the perfect place to live. I had turned the tiny general store into a giant department store that sold a large variety of items. I acquired genuine Monet and Van Gogh paintings and even Michelangelo’s David for the Museum’s collection. I even installed a clock made entirely of flowers to make the Town more beautiful.

Isabelle was a wonderful assistant to me and I will always remember the wonderful advice she had given to be about how to be a better Mayor. One thing I’ve never understood is who sent me that mysterious letter in the Mail the very next day after I had just moved into Town and was declared the new Mayor? I just want to thank them for the mistaken identity.

Back in August 2022, I was wondering which route to take, then I met Porter. He was friendly and eased my worries. I boarded his train and he asked a series of questions as we rode to an unknown destination. He explained we were on our way to a town, and I could name it, I chose Hazzard. On arrival the town looked so empty with boarded up shops and not many villagers. On reflection, I was thinking why did I come here. It certainly looked very hazardous.

However, my distress quickly turned to delight, as I was greeted by Isabelle and Tom Nook. They made me feel very welcome to the town and soon presented me with the role of Mayor of Hazzard!

Soon the town started to fill with villagers, and I even met up with a few old friends: Al, Boomer and Kidd. Although the cream on the chocolate cake was to meet my bestie, Buck. I was very relieved to find that Buck’s house was situated beside mine. I couldn’t believe it! I was and still am so happy to have a next door neighbour like Buck.

Recently, the villagers have been working together with me to help rebuild the town. So far, we’ve managed to complete some Public Work Projects: a Park Clock, a Fountain and the Hazzard Campsite! The campsite is a great addition to the town to welcome new faces.

Although Isabelle sometimes tells me to take the day off, I never rest as there is so much to keep me occupied. Gathering shells from the beach, digging up fossils to help Blathers, fishing, mining, the list is endless! There seems to be something new everyday!

I still have a long way to go before I complete all PWPs and my town, however I am looking forward to what comes my way next.

I recently discovered a little place called Tortimer’s Island. ‘Captain Kapp’n’ as I like to call him, adds a touch of musical magic when riding over to the island which would help ease a villager’s motion sickness. It was lovely to meet his family when I arrived, Leilani, Grams and his adorable daughter Leila. I was fortunate enough to play a game of Supermarket with Leila when I was visiting one day. I managed to secure enough medals to buy some items from Grams and unlocked the application to Club Tortimer. I decided to buy some items instead of joining Club Tortimer.

My joy is slightly tainted, as Porter will soon be making his last journey. However, there is a feeling of camaraderie between the villagers and I. We believe as a town that it will make us stronger and create a tighter bond between us as we will still have each other. I wish Porter good luck for the future and hope during his retirement, that he can prop up the bar at The Roost!

Thank you for the memories New Leaf, it’s been and continues to be a pleasure to take on the role of Mayor.

Jenny (Mayor of Hazzard)

This was fun to write, and surprisingly moving. I played a lot of New Leaf while my life was falling apart, and for that reason it will always be unique to me within the franchise.

—3.17.2024—
CITY OF FELDSPAR
Mayoral Notice On the Upcoming Reduction In Train Services

I had nothing to lose.

That's what I keep coming back to. After waking up circled by a blaze of fire, after my scattered rushing footsteps in the dead of night, after my heartbeat thudding against the screech of train tires as the motion pressed me into my seat and lifted me away. No home to return to. All I brought with me was a shirt and pants, the smell of smoke, and my life clutched in both fists. I literally pointed to the map that looked most interesting, and when the train slowed and pulled into the station, there you were: Feldspar and all its inhabitants.

You all, though—you had a lot to lose. I might have taken advantage of you, might have run the town into the ground or ignored your development requests. We’ve all heard the horror stories of mayors who trap residents in their homes or harass particular species until they pack up and move to lord knows where.

Isabelle took one look at me and made a gamble. She needed help running a town. I needed food, shelter, and something to live for. I’ve always wondered if she really was expecting a mayor, or if it was simply an act of grace: the gift of a home and a sense of purpose for a frazzled and confused newcomer, wrapped up like a fancy job to preserve my dignity. Within a few handshakes, I’d acquired a place to sleep, a shovel, a work schedule, and Walt—my first friend.

So this letter is for you: Walt, Lolly, Antonio, Vesta, Deli, Bluebear, Benjamin, Snake, Willow, and Lionel. From the beginning I’ve taken you seriously. From the beginning I’ve tried to be careful.

I planted each of your favorite fruits around your homes. (Pears for Deli, lemons for Willow, cherries for Lolly, mangoes for Snake…)

I cultivated flowers in your favorite colors, designed specialty sidewalks, laid the tiles. (Purple and yellow for Vesta, pink and red for Walt, yellow and orange for Benjamin . . .)

When you suggested public works projects to match your passions, I researched, drew up blueprints, and spent weeks fishing up funds in the form of snapper and knifejaw with my feet hanging off the edge of the docks. (A fire pit for Antonio, illuminated trees for Bluebear, that enormous cube for Lionel…)

I suppose I wanted you all to feel seen–the way you made me feel seen. You remembered my birthday. You watched my house grow from a tent to a multistory mansion and gifted me cozy couches or neon clocks along the way. You studied my favorite hats and hoodies and gifted me shoes to match. We watched fireworks from the edge of the orchard, picked mushrooms along the ridge behind Antonio’s house, sat on the bench in the bamboo forest and watched the waves roll in as the sun painted ripples of light across our ocean.

We lit a campfire in the dead of night, and I didn’t flinch.

I know things are going to look different from here on out. The travel restrictions will be hard. I can’t help but imagine all the other lost and lonely souls who might not be as lucky as I, after the budget cuts to the railway, with nowhere to land any more. I’ve heard a couple of you worrying that I might feel trapped here, might start to get antsy.

Well, I’m not going anywhere. The rest of the world can do what it wants, as far as I’m concerned. As long as the sun rises over Feldspar, I’m rising with it. There’s work to do.

All my love,

Mayor November

It was really interesting to write this 😗 I don't even know what style of poetry I wrote, it's giving stream of consciousness hahahaha

I didn't like you

when you first appeared with your Rock Lee brows. You struck me as an oddity, a presence unwelcome.

There were many things I never sought.

I never sought the mantle of mayor, burdened with responsibilities not meant for me.
I never sought to be shackled by debts, toiling tirelessly for a mere bell or two.
And most certainly,

I never sought you.

But alas, you were a weed in a town whose reputation I now must uphold.
An unwelcome intruder in a town now tied to my name.

Days turned into weeks. My scorn turned into acceptance.
It was a war of attrition and a battle I couldn’t win,

against your infectious, bright smile,

against your bold, bold brows.

Like relentless waves upon a stubborn shore, you wore me down until I was soft.

And now, I've become soft for you. I hate to admit it, but I think I've grown fond of you.
You adopted the role of an older brother to me, offering guidance in moments of confusion, solace in times of despair.

I'm sorry, Teddy. I was mistaken.

You weren't a weed.
You are the reason why the town blossomed into the magnificence it is today.

But there came a day. Unbeknownst to both of us.
The day of our last greeting - our last cheery hello,
came and passed. Like the last golden leaf,
bestowing the grounds with a kiss.
The death of another, heralds the arrival of spring.

But do not worry, my dearest big brother,
for our paths shall cross once more.
And when that time comes, I'm sure,
we'll blossom together,
just like the days gone by.

Until then, bold friend.
Stay strong, and stay smiling.
xx

word count: 288

just for the lolz; Rock Lee vs Teddy THEY EVEN RHYME COINCIDENCE?ITHINKNOT
5320fd704d9a365c8d4df9a3e7c7173711c7e23b_00.jpg
167px-161_Teddy_amiibo_card_NA.png

Thank you for continuing to share such delightful stories! :blush:

All entries (should) once again be accepted up to this point. If I missed you, please let me know. 💜

& a quick reminder that we are, unfortunately, fast approaching the deadline! If you have yet to submit but plan to, you have until Thursday, March 21, at 11:59 p.m. EDT.

Last edited:
True story 💜
795 words

I’ve been a fan of Animal Crossing as long as I can remember. I’ve played it on the GameCube, Wii, and DS with the GameCube version being my favorite. I think the only versions I haven't played are Animal Forest and Amiibo Festival. I enjoyed every second of New Leaf from the time I opened the game after receiving it for my birthday. In fact, it was my desire to play with others and collect EVERYTHING in the game that brought me to TBT as well. So, not only do I cherish many memories from the game itself, but I cherish many memories from these forums which I joined thanks to this game.

From the first train ride, to achieving a perfect town, my journey as the mayor of Seoul has been amazing. I remember starting my flower hoard. Just about every inch of town is covered with flowers. The flowers are sorted by type, and in most cases, by color. I bought and traded on this forum to get all the hybrid colors since I never had much luck breeding my own (and I still lack that luck today). I remember booting up the game every night to make sure I watered every last flower so that it wouldn’t wilt. With that and the fact I can’t really run anywhere, the flowers certainly made me annoyed at times. However, I wouldn’t change a thing. Even after booting the game up years later, I don’t think I’ll get rid of them. The beautiful town ordinance certainly prevented many headaches once I set it in action. I only wish I could plant non-native perfect fruit to grow trees.

One of my favorite memories is playing online with my best friend, Monica. She lives in Canada, and we met on Tumblr. Before we ever were able to meet in person, we played New Leaf together often. I still have many pictures of our visits. We would dress in our matching Umbreon and Espeon outfits and take turns visiting each other. Our favorite thing to do was pick on Pietro. I love him, but he plopped his house down right in front of mine, so we always low key bullied him (though only verbally as I still have never had the heart to hit a villager with a net). I also fondly remember trying out the glitches that were occasionally discovered, our favorite being the one where you can walk in the river. I wonder if that still works…?

I remember celebrating many holidays in New Leaf. My favorites were always Halloween, April Fool's, and my birthday of course. I loved playing at different hours of the day and listening to the different music tracks. I enjoyed hunting down every last thing to donate to the museum. I remember the excitement I felt with the addition of another amenity or with each upgrade to the store. I also fondly remember my time on the island and how excited I was when I learned that you could dive for sea creatures. I always wanted to swim in the ocean in the past games, so this was a wonderful milestone in the series for me. I can still hear the sound of being stung by a jellyfish in my head to this day. I always thought it would’ve been nice to catch them with a net or something.

As time progressed, I moved on to Pocket Camp, New Horizons, and other games not related to Animal Crossing. This farewell event allowed me to enjoy all these memories that I continue to hold dear and for that I am thankful. I plan to continue playing New Leaf for years to come, and of course I plan to partake in any future Animal Crossing games. My goals for continued play regarding New Leaf are to make a constructive town. To turn over a “new leaf” if you will. I’ve always wanted fancy paths and unique areas and I’m going to make that a reality (with all the flowers of course). I can get plenty of inspiration here on the forums! I also plan to bring Whitney into my town. She’s my favorite villager and for some reason I’ve never had her in this game.

Thank you, New Leaf, for being such a wonderful game. I look forward to serving as mayor of the town of Seoul for many more years to come. Thanks for all the memories and for bringing me to this forum where I’ve met so many wonderful people. Thank you, friends of TBT, for helping me get all the flowers and other items that I desired along the way. It’s been quite a ride 😊 Here’s to many more years of Animal Crossing and the joy that it brings!

My journey to becoming the Mayor of Starbell began back in early 2013. I was a teenager in high school at the time and was just getting back into gaming after falling off in general as a kid. With the announcement of the upcoming games Pokemon X and Y I finally became interested in the 3DS.

Though before deciding to buy one I looked into other game series available on the console (aside from the upcoming Pokemon games) that I remember enjoying as a kid. Nintendogs, Mario Kart and Animal Crossing all came to mind. I was excited to see that both Nintendogs and Mario Kart already had releases on the console and most of all I was super excited to learn that Animal Crossing was coming in June. With that I just had to buy a 3DS. Only one problem though I didn’t have much money, nor did I have a job.

A few months passed including the release of Animal Crossing New Leaf coming and going. I found ways to save some money. I held on to all my birthday money that year and tried to do odd jobs for my parents. After a while I finally had enough money to buy an original Aqua Blue model 3DS. Unfortunately though that’s literally all I could buy. I couldn’t even afford one game as well, but that’s ok it was still the first step I needed to take. Or so I thought it was ok…

After only a couple of days the Home button completely stopped working. Really disappointing for a brand new console that I didn’t even have a game for yet. I ended up returning it for a refund sadly and not buying another as my Mom suggested it wasn’t a good idea as it seemed to be a design flaw. More time passed after that but I still really wanted a 3DS to play games on in the back of my mind. I didn’t want to give up on it completely.

Later, I did some online research and found similar complaints about the home, start and select buttons on the original 3DS being of poor design. At the same time however I found other comments saying that the Original 3DS XL model didn’t have the same issue as it had proper full buttons unlike the sticker buttons of the non XL. I thought: Ok awesome I’ll just get a 3DS XL instead! At least until I realized they cost a decent bit more than the regular size model which I was unfortunately outside of being able to afford with my current funds.

After a few more days of thinking I turned to local online classifieds to see if I could hunt down a decently priced used 3DS XL that I could afford. I wanted a 3DS so badly that I was ok with getting a used one if I had to. Thankfully it didn’t take too long and I found one. A guy not too far away was selling a brand new 3DS XL for about the price of the regular size 3DS. As a bonus it was also the blue model which is my absolute favourite colour. Almost seemed too good to be true, but regardless my Dad agreed to take me to meet him.

Upon meeting him he explained why he was selling a perfectly good brand new console still sealed in the box. He had bought it for his young nephew as a gift, but quickly realized his nephew would likely just destroy it, so he decided to resell it to get some of his money back but was ok with taking a bit of a loss. After telling him I’d buy it (and I didn’t bother to haggle with him as it was already a more than fair price), he surprised me by saying he wanted even less money than what he was asking for in his ad. I couldn’t believe it, but this random stranger just made my entire day.

After acquiring the brand new 3DS XL for even cheaper than a brand new regular size 3DS I even had enough money left over this time to afford one game that very same day. What game did I get you might ask? Why it was Animal Crossing New Leaf of course. I was so hype for it and it’d already been out for a month. There was never even a second thought to which game I would buy first.

Later that day I finally got home, unboxed my brand new 3DS XL in my favourite colour blue, popped in Animal Crossing New Leaf for the very first time and got on the train bound for Starbell. What an exciting time! I was looking forward to finally being a villager in a quaint little town filled with animals once again. Upon arriving however, things were a bit off. The villagers insisted I was to be the Mayor of the town. Woah woah woah! Me!? Mayor? Not what I was expecting. Isabelle and the others seemed really excited however so I figured I’d just go along with it. How bad could it be right?

Anyways, these past 10+ years in Starbell have truly been a blast even if I haven’t always been around. The memories from my time in that quaint little town will never be forgotten. May your legacy forever live on in my memories Starbell. ❤️

heres my entry:

in 2015, i started my new leaf save file as mayor faith of camellia. still being the insecure 11 year old i was, i chose a different name than my real name that i learned to love. i was so
excited to be finally playing an animal crossing game again, the last one i had played was city folk when i was 6 or 7. i still miss the pink 3ds xl i originally had played my first save file on, my brother ended up breaking it and i was devastated (lol). i digress...

playing new leaf for the first time made me so happy, after watching so many youtube videos of town tours, let's plays, and how to unlock every shop/upgrade, i finally was able to experience it myself. i time travelled like crazy to get my town the way i wanted it, and used this forum to buy all the igb, villagers and items i wanted. after a while, i ended up getting tired of my beloved camellia. to this day, i regret resetting that save file, i wish i could go back to it and relive all the memories my 11 year old self made. but the time i spent on that town is something i don’t regret at all, i find myself wanting to go back to that time of my life over and over again.

Dear old me,

It has been almost ten years since you moved to that little town near the sea.
At first, you only wanted a place to relax, you were looking for a fishing spot far from the city, the dirt, and the noise, and a friend had suggested that little village by the sea.

On the train, while you were trying to admire the scenery, that strange and weird cat kept asking you questions and annoyed, you just said anything crossing your mind... and that's how you ended up with big surprised eyes and an orange triangle-shaped nose. You were mortified, horrified, but you somehow got attached to that face although, you had your nose redone once you left... Maybe you will miss that triangle-shaped nose one day.

How naive you were thinking they would just let you fish to your heart's content the first day, oh no! There were formalities to take care of, and that too hyper dog with that suspicious tanuki always wanting something! You were so done that you pitched your tent next to the city hall to save time, your biggest mistake...You thought it was nice to have a tent in front of the waterfall, you would never have imagined being dragged into that extension and mortgage madness, and that your cute little tent would become a huge house completely hiding the waterfall, which is really not great for fishing - your favorite hobby - and you didn't learn because your new house is still close to the city hall!

Anyway, despite all your mistakes, and tantrums when someone moved their houses on your hybrids, and Isabelle always whining about the lack of space and being fussy with the bridges, it was fun! You made so many great memories. I know you don’t want to leave that little town but I have other obligations somewhere else and the train to get there is getting rusty, who knows how long it will work? Maybe one day, you and I will have to say goodbye for good to your life there, all the lovely residents, the sea and the fish, but I hope it won't be soon, and that you can still play with everybody for a long long time.

The 10 years older you.

Dear past & current residents of Kapukeki,

I still remember my first time there -- completely unplanned. I got on a train and next thing I knew I had no idea what I had gotten myself into, but I have no regrets in becoming your mayor and watching it bloom in the time I was there. I will cherish all the moments and memories we made together. It was my first time meeting and living among so many animals - I did not think it was possible. And to trust me as mayor? I've made a lot of connections with many of you that goodbyes were always so hard, no matter who was leaving. From shopping on Main Street, getting makeovers done at Shampoodle's, clubbing at Club LOL, taking trips to the museum, or having surprise visits at my home, I am grateful for all the times I got to spend with you.

As some of you may have heard, I, along with a few past residents, had sought new beginnings on an island several years ago. I do apologize for the way I left and abandoned this town. It was quite abrupt - I never quit, put in a resignation, or even said goodbye. I simply stopped showing up, and whenever I think about paying a visit, I am worried about what I might see. I have heard of all the weeds from the unkept gardens, the disappearing houses and the randomly appearing houses. There are too many changes for me to come back to and be able to handle as a mayor. I hope you understand.

I also hope by now you've all found someone else to run it and restore it to the beautiful town it can be, maybe even better. I cannot make any promises regarding my return.

Best wishes,
Former Mayor Joanne

To the residents and my dear friends of Wakuwaku,

I'm making this bulletin board post as a means of reflection on the countless adventures spent in our town. It sure has been a wild ride, and I would like to share a moment with you all.

Mitzi and Wolfgang,
You guys were with me from the get-go, and I can't express enough gratitude for electing me as mayor! It's been an honour working with you to create the best version of Wakuwaku possible!

Molly,
If this were addressed directly to you... I'd probably be gushing about how darn cute you are! AHEM... Anyway, it's been a blast having you in our little town. Your smile has a way of brightening up even the rainiest of days. Keep being your adorable self, you sweet little duckling!

Big Top,
We've had our ups and downs, but hey, without you, Wakuwaku would've missed out on a ton of adventures! Sure, you stir the pot sometimes, but we still appreciate what you bring to the table!

Stinky and Lucha,
My favourite wrestling duo! It's always a riot when you guys are around. Stinky, maybe I can forgive you for parking your house right in front of mine... just maybe... And Lucha, despite our rocky start, you've become a dear friend, and I can't imagine Wakuwaku without you!

Marshal,
You came from afar, but man, am I glad you decided to stick around in Wakuwaku! I'll never forget all those portraits I drew of you. Thanks for being a patient model. It "mii"ns a lot to me in my uni"verse".

And to Katt,
You're the best! Don't let those other villagers' comments get under your fur! Every day is a blast with you and the gang here in Wakuwaku!

A final shoutout to everyone (Punchy, Robin, Claudia, and Rodney) for being a part of this beautiful town! Wakuwaku wouldn't be the same without each and every one of you!

Mayor Katy, signing off!

Dear Isabelle,

Hi! I hope you've been well. I trust the town has been in good hands in my absence? I'm certain your leadership has kept everything running smoothly. You've been an excellent deputy mayor (though I know with how long it's been, you're basically the full-time mayor now!)

My island vacation to Longwood has been going well. I've redeveloped the island from deserted to a full-on town, just like in Moonfall. Remember that time rebuilt town hall? Or redid the train station? Getting the permits for that took forever! Or when we started Spontaneous Hopping Day? I hope you guys are still doing that!

Moonfall was a great town for me. It was such a joy to give each part of town its own unique biodiversity; making sure everyone had access to a wide variety of fruits and flowers nearby. And just having fun with the neighbors. Being Mayor has had its ups and downs, and way more ups than downs.

Through these years since moving to Moonfall, I've made many friends. I've lost friends as well. But through all that, you've always been there. Thank you, Isabelle. I couldn't have asked for a better assistant.

I'll be back in town shortly for a small visit. I'm hoping to just, clean up my house, pay people a visit, and just indulge myself in some memories. If there's any mayoral work you need me to sign off on, please let me know when I'm there! I don't think there should be much; if there was anything urgent you'd have mailed me, right?

See you soon,

Mayor Andrew

P.S. The island has an import-export business that the Nook Twins run. When I'm back in town, can you please remind me to have a talk with them? I feel like they're not investing enough into this business. They can do more.

P.P.S. Also, you're never going to believe who's here. Tortimer! Yeah, turns out this island is a small archipelago, and Tortimer's been hiding out on one of the local islands at an artist's commune. I gave him a piece of my mind for abandoning Moonfall.

P.P.P.S. I realize the irony of me yelling at Tortimer for abandoning Moonfall when I kind of did the exact same thing. This is awkward.

P.P.P.P.S. If I'm not back soon, I'll definitely be back for New Year's.

My journey with Animal Crossing New Leaf started on a warm summer day nearly ten years ago. Thirteen-year-old me had just saved up enough money to afford a used 3DS from GameStop, complete with a bundle of three games (Chibi-Robo, Ocarina of Time, and New Leaf). I had heard of Animal Crossing in the past but had never gotten a chance to play it myself. After popping the cartridge in and having a quick conversation with a strange blue cat on a train, I was suddenly the mayor of my very own town. Immediately, I fell in love with the strange new world around me. Over the years, I would rack up hundreds of hours in the game, whether it be staying up late on a school night catching golden beetles on Tortimer's Island, or slipping my DS out of my backpack during lunch period to water my purple rose garden. My journey with this game grew further still the night before my first day of high school, when I discovered The Bell Tree Forums and proceeded to stay up for the entire rest of the night making posts. Some of the people I met on here have become my best friends, and I speak to them every day as well as hang out with them IRL. I often think about how insane it is that a large chunk of my friend group at age 22 is due to me just deciding to play Animal Crossing one day as a kid. So thank you, New Leaf, for both my childhood and my adulthood.

Here is my entry! I had a lot of fun writing it. I wanted to reflect on all my time with the game despite not keeping one single town since the beginning, so I tried doing something a little interesting with that.

I watched outside the window as the train moved along its tracks, anxiously anticipating my arrival to my new town. It was my first time moving and I had been waiting for this moment for ages. A strange cat named Rover sat across from me and started up a conversation.

I meant to tell him that I was on my way to a town called Meow Town, but I quickly stammered out what sounded like MowTown. Close enough, I guess.

When I arrived under the sparkling night sky, I was greeted by the faces of many animals. "Welcome to the town, mayor!"

Wait, mayor!? There must have been a mistake here. But when I tried to explain, it was laughed off. I was simply handed a map by a dog named Isabelle, who was apparently my secretary now.

I looked at the map confusedly. There seemed to be a house marked with my name on it. I hadn't even picked out my plot (great planning, I know) so I didn't understand why this was here. I thought for a moment and realized... Someone here had the same name as me! How silly.

What happened from then on is history. I quickly got used to my new role as mayor, and made many memories. I remember the snow crunching under my feet as I walked around during cold winter nights, the aurora borealis lighting up the sky, spending time fishing and going to a tropical island by boat when things got too chilly and my work as mayor was too stressful.

But suddenly, one day... I was on the train again. It was almost as if things had totally reset. Yet I still retained my memories. I expected Rover to sit across from me, and he did. I felt inclined to tell him that I was heading to a town named Evidence this time.

I arrived in the spring, green grass lining the town, the trees full of life. I wasn't all that surprised when I was made mayor once again. I set up my house around a river bend and remember spending time breeding many flowers to brighten up the town, and sitting in peaceful spots to draw in my sketchbook as I listened to music that changed by the hour.

I soon got used to this process. I would spend some time in one town, and then move on to the next. To everyone else, it was as though nothing had happened, but I still remembered everything. It was strangely bittersweet.

I'd gone to MowTown, Evidence, Home, and Junebug by now. After all this time, even my own name had changed. But now there was a dog at the campsite who shared it with me, still!

Today, I was heading to Inflora. It had been ten years since I first arrived in MowTown all that time ago, and my memories of it were a bit blurry, but still fond nonetheless.

I eagerly awaited the new adventure that was in front of me once again. I arrived in the summer, the hot sun slowly falling into a beautiful sunset, and bugs actively flittering about.

I set up my house next to a flowing waterfall and have spent my time here ever since. Somewhere in my heart, this feels like my forever home.

Dear residents of Hapiland,

I'd like to thank you for all the support you've given me over the years as mayor. I took on the job when I was much more immature, though you all welcomed me kindly. You have all been by my side throughout the years as Hapiland blossomed into the wonderful town it is now. It would not have been possible without your trust in me.

I would like to give a very special thanks to Isabelle, who helped me as I settled in. I would not have been able to do it without you. You were always there to answer any questions I had about the job and helped me make sure everything was under control.

Lastly, I would like to take this opportunity that I will officially be stepping down from my role as mayor. It has been a memorable 9 years, but I have decided it is time for me to move on to new horizons. I have the pleasure of announcing that Isabelle will be taking over as mayor of Hapiland this coming month. Please welcome her with the same grace you have given me. I look forward to seeing how Hapiland will continue to grow.

Sincerely,
Mayor Janelle

my submission! i had a lot of fun writing it, it brought me tons of joy : )

To Isabelle, and my sweet bright town,
I swiftly write these lines,
So heartfelt and deep down,
To you, and all the villagers of our town.

In every gift we shared,
In every game we paired,
Through lit-up streets, we'd roam and play,
Whilst the wind would gently sway away.

From the many fishing contests, to bug hunts,
The many memories that would front,
Around gardens tended with grown flowers,
As we run around in sun-showers.

Through changing seasons, we'd come to be,
In our village home, we found our free,
Many festivals, we celebrated with cheer,
And bonds of friendship are all near.

Maple with her cozy den,
Marina, the sea's best friend,
Hamlet, our jock with cheer,
Our laughter echoed, and love was sown.

And with you, dear Isabelle, by my side,
I would be nowhere without your guide,
For all you've done for us, we lift our voice,
In all hearts, you've sparked rejoice.

Mr. Nook, for every loan and cozy abode,
Our wallets you went and towed,
But in our hearts, that was okay,
The way you shined was a place to stay.

Though our journey's strayed, those days remain,
In heart and mind, they shall sustain,
The bond put together, in pixels bright,
A pure friendship, forever etched in light.

I always find my writing embarrassing to share and especially since this is so personal (the companian in question is a friend I've since lost), but I hope its up to scratch.

Ive been hearing your laugh in the wind on August nights.

I think of how we fumbled through lush forest and bush in many shades of green, laughing and yelling. I see your flushed expression in the apples that I've been shaking down and I feel your warmth in the sunbeams that make their way through the leaves of this old oak. If I rest my hand on the bark of this grand tree, it helps me think of the days gone by where I would wait at the station for you. The pitter patter of my feet tapping on the cobble as your train came in... but when I look at those stones now they look all torn up. Do you see the new cracks? Do I too look worn down by the passage of time? If me and that cobblestone turned back the clock, would it be as if the damage never occurred?

Its gone now, somewhere between the horizon and the city... but if I could meander through this dear town once more, would I see the house where so many memories happened? It was the one where we found our friendship in birthday cakes and surprise visits. This newer version of the world clouds my vision and burns my hands, and honestly? I think if I looked now I would see both our happiness and our sadness as a dry square, scorched into the soil - brown and bare, but one with that lush grove.

I know that grove was a place of love. We built it from nothing. We danced, we swam, we fought, we destroyed and I remember every second of it. Did I ever tell you how the love I had was the very foundation of that town? It was in every petal of the all flowers I have since let wilt. It was in the sea and it permeated your footprints in the sand as we ran down to the docks on a humid eve... now I just sit alone, feet in the waves, pondering: Could we have known that was the last time we sat next to one another? Could I have changed the outcome? If I look up at the right moment, I can see your foot steps 2 inches ahead of every journey I make.

If I destroyed this town we loved so dearly - the trees, the flowers, the houses, the paths, the heart, the soul, the warmth... then maybe I could be closer to you again. If I ripped the flowers out the floor and my heart out my chest it could almost be a replacement for what once was.

Oh companion, I would give it all to be back with you in that town, dancing through the trees and sleeping in the grass for just one more August night.
471 words :)

I don't know why I act surprised
That online is going away
It was always in the title: not all things are meant to stay

A new leaf turned over when I picked up this game
And it only happened because I decided to change
Yes new things can be scary, and change can let you down
But if that had stopped me back then, I wouldn't have my town

I wouldn't have my four houses that I still love to decorate
I wouldn't have had some dreams - not those I visit, nor those I make
I wouldn't have known why so many love Isabelle and despise Tom Nook
I'd never have related to Goldie, see her always talk about our books

The saddest days, the tiring times would have been a little worse
Without a certain game always there to put the bad into reverse

And most of all, maybe its sad, but its still quite true
Without this game I wouldn't be here talking to you

Where once i was only mad at Nintendo, I can now be more content
Because there's no doubt in my mind this was all time well spent

Because I found memories, and I found friends
And yes: I HAVE found reasons to play again
Its still sad of course, its still the end in its own way
but it's only the end that we knew would happen one day

But one thing I could not have known is how it might change me
How I should hold on to the best things, and still let other things be
When there is another leaf to be turned over, I have thought it through:
I won't hesitate to make room for something new
Because that is what New Leaf once taught me to do

I'm not really the best storyteller so I went with an overly sentimental, amateur poem - forgive its presence if at all possible :giggle:

I still remember the day I got my 3DS and New Leaf. Funnily enough, it was around this time 10 years ago. I’ve seen a family member play Wild World before so I was familiar with the series but New Leaf was the first time I actually played Animal Crossing. There was some sort of promotion at the time where if you registered a 3DS and an eligible game at Club Nintendo, you could get a free copy of Pokemon X or Y which was nice. Anyways, I was excited to turn on the 3DS and play an Animal Crossing game for the first time. That intro with Rover talking to you in the train was really nice and I was excited when I became mayor of the town and can pretty much do what I want. I loved the characters, world and charm of everything. I have fond memories of opening up New Leaf to play for a bit at 7 AM (great music) before going to school and streetpassing people at my local McDonald’s. Eventually I got online and discovered this forum made by JVGS Jeff. It was a nice place to trade and chat but sadly it was shut down later that year. I was redirected to this forum and that’s how I got here! I remember the days of cycling villagers and selling them for TBT alongside my best friend. What a wild time that was. I have over 1000 hours in New Leaf and I very much enjoyed every second of it through decorating, talking to my favorite villagers, exploring dreams, playing island tours and more! This game has given me good times in my teen years and I’ve met my best friend that I still talk with to this day because of it. Sad that the online is shutting down soon but nothing will remove all the good memories I’ve had with this game and the community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back