• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

How do you feel about Smart Home technology?

ahh privacy, the privilege of the able-bodied

i'm physically unable to do anything without another person so bring on the technology

For the most part, I prefer doing things manually as much as this "smart home" thing is all the rage. Thing is, a good little old fashioned manual appliances wouldn't hurt. There were things in the house that shouldn't be a part of 'smart home'. If anything, I would rather have a universal remote app on your phone to turn on or off the lights (maybe all the lights). Plus, you heavily rely on the internet to operate a smart home, power outages will greatly affect a smart home.

If anything, I never wanted a sentient speaker overhearing me. Same goes for telling Google to search online like no thanks, I prefer to do my internet searches manually.

I honestly think the Alexa thing is annoying. Sure, it can be helpful but my dad orders stuff from Amazon all the time, so it would constantly blow up with notifications and the flashing light around my echo dot would drive me crazy. Yeah, you can clear them out, but what is the point if they just keep coming?! It would also drive me insane when the name would come up on my TV and my echo dot would fire up. I remember I tried to put it on do not disturb for a few months but then my dad can call me so I turned it back on. But then I got fed-up, so I secretly turned my echo dot completely off months ago. My dad probably wouldn’t appreciate it if he knew I did, but if he wants to call me, he can call me on my phone like a normal person. I figured out how to silence unknown numbers last year in August, so hopefully he can do that now.

However, some of this technology is rather useful and can be used for security purposes, such as the doorbell camera. It would be nice to see who is by my door without me going to it, since it could be someone I don’t know, and I wouldn’t want them to know I’m there at home. Hell, I am gonna gonna try to minimize my family visiting me anyway, I’d rather be the one visiting.

If/Once I get my own place later on, I am thinking about getting a doorbell camera, because it seems rather useful. In fact, I think my dad could have one for this house. My grandparents (my dad’s mom and step-dad) have a similar security camera. When you walk by the house, it will say something along the lines of “You are currently being recorded”. I definitely like how a lot of this stuff is for security purposes, which I definitely want to take advantage of. it could be extremely helpful.

My dad told me that people apart of certain groups get taken advantage of more when it comes to robbery and what not. He told me that females, people with disabilities, and the elderly are more at risk of this type of stuff, which I fall under the first two (and will be an elder way later on), so once I’m living on my own, I want to be as secure as humanly possible.

My dad said that pets are good for security, but that’s a different story, as they are living things that take responsibility and patience, which I have zero patience for pets. I’d rather just rely on technology and other helpful forms of security. It’s gonna be a challenge to take care of myself once I am on my own, let alone a pet. Pets are one of those things that are just not for everyone (which they are not for me), but I digress.

I just hope I won’t be forced to get an Alexa system once I am living on my own. I’m a bit worried about my family pushing certain things on me that I don’t want (including non-technology and non-security stuff) when I am on my own.

Last edited:
We have a couple of Alexas at home and I don't see the need for it, but it definitely helps my tech-troubled parents.

Back