• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

How do you feel about Smart Home technology?

S.J.

💜
Bells
Island
Red Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
Orange Hybrid Rose
Purple Hybrid Rose
Golden Watering Can
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Hyacinth
Yellow Hyacinth
I don't know if that's the most accurate term for it, but hopefully you understand what I mean! Smart speakers (Alexa, Google Home), doorbell cameras, etc.

What do you have? Do you like them or not really?

I don't have a smart speaker because they creep me out. 👀

Most of the lights and fans in my house can be controlled by an app, but I rarely do. I also have a motion-sensor camera near my front door as well, which is currently not turned on, so I should do that... I was getting a lot of notifications that the sensor was triggered, and I'd look in the app and it was just BIRDS looking into the camera lense. 😱😂 I appreciate how convenient it is and I like that I have the option, but I just don't use it that often.

I don't have anything because I'm a bit wary of it, but I know my family has some stuff. It's pretty cool, but idk if I'd want my whole house connected like that.

I don't like smart home technology and purposefully avoid it inasmuch as possible. I don't need anyone listening in on my conversations, don't want companies collecting and selling my data, feed their algorithms and attempt to "better" advertise to me.

We got a new television for my father for Christmas a few years ago and I was very displeased to find that all of the televisions, other than some that you hook up outside, are smart nowadays. We had to settle for one because I couldn't find any non-smart ones. It came with a complimentary Alexa. We never hooked that up, as you can expect.

"Smart" homes and associated devices are also apparently quite susceptible to hackers, so the entire thing seems like a giant headache that I see no appeal in whatsoever.

i don’t own any smart home technologies— not really because i’m wary of them or anything, but mainly because i can’t afford them, i’d rather spend my money on other things, and i don’t really feel the need for any of them, especially since i live in an apartment. i think they can come in handy, especially motion sensors and doorbell cameras, but they’re not for me 😅

I'm not very tech-savvy so I don't like having "smart home technology" stuff around. I'm kind of old-school so any new gadgets amaze the crap out of me lol I get made fun of because I thought a light-up mouse pad with wireless charging was super cool and awesome and brand new... so this stuff is definitely not for me!

I think it's unnecessary. I don't see a need for it. I'm fine without using stuff like this.

Eh, it can be used for bad and doesn’t offer real convinience to me, so avoid. We have a Smart TV and they suck in my experience actually, updates make them laggy. A TV, LAGGY. Crashing and restarting and whatnot on a whim.

My family and I avoid it—the privacy concerns are a very real thing, whether its from the companies themselves or hackers, and they kinda creep us all out. 😅 I think we'd all rather stay away from smart appliances and home tech wherever possible nowadays.

I also avoid smart home technologies for privacy concerns. 😅 I also never felt the need for them!

I have a smart speaker and a ring door bell, ring door bell is a great means of security you can literally see who’s at your door for the comfort of your bed 🥰

When I think of this, my mind imeditly goes to that South Park episode about home secruirity machines xD I really dont want my house tslking to me, or like having control of my house. It would be so weird.

Ive never had an alexa, I dont really rjink I need one? Call me old school, but I really dont want my house doing stuff that I, myself am able to do.

In some houses I can see it being useful, but for me, I dont see the point.

i'm kinda old fashion and i don't know how i feel about my house being all wired into one singular system. smart home technologies make me kinda nervous for privacy reasons because these companies selling these devices literally don't care about people and i'd be afraid of a device listening to me without me knowing. the closest i've been kinda interested in something like this is a ring camera for the front door, just to see who's knocking at the door when there's someone there 👀

don't think i'll get any smart home technology stuff. i wouldn't really have much use for them tbh

We don't have anything like that in our house currently and I hope we never do. I especially don't like the ones that listen to you.

I don’t have any need for smart home technology. To be honest, they seem a bit too “Big Brother”-y for comfort. I also don’t like that some of those products stopped working last year (I think) when there was an attack on a major cloud server.

I have no desire for smart technology to help ease the burden of turning on a light or playing my favourite song whenever I feel like it. I personally think it's just lazy to rely on that sort of technology that does nothing more than show off how tech savvy you want to be.

I think it is a great alternative to very expensive home security services. You can control what you want to be monitored, the cameras and doorbells aren’t too pricey and you can install them yourselves, and they all can connect to your smartphone so you can see if someone is trying to break into your house while you are on a vacation in Aruba on a beach and can call the police before the wouled be intruder can get in and steal things. I want to get one of the video doorbells for my new home so that I can know if I got a package or have a guest and if there is any trouble. This security service keeps sending me flyers to let them install a full security system with the lure of a free Apple Home doorbell but the whole thing costs like $5000 just to get it set up and online. Yeah. I’m not spending that much when I can get a smart doorbell that costs $60 and can still link to an iPhone due to the app controlling the doorbell being available in the App Store for Apple products. I already have one of this company’s programmable light bulbs which costs $20 each and it wouldn’t be hard to connect a doorbell and security camera from the same company. Sometimes bad things happen in neighborhoods and it’s good to have something that can record any trouble so that you can handle the situation correctly and have evide if you need it.

We have a couple, but not by my choice. I don't like them. Actually I like what someone out there said, we are leaving the technological age to enter the surveillance age.
I think it's just another way to gather data for consumerism and corporate power and perhaps other things too..

I think Alexa and Google Home are a little creepy, but the Ring doorbell cameras could be helpful.

As someone who once lived in a smart home, I hate it. I prefer to live in an old school style home.

Back