• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

Have you hacked/edited your town, or would?

Yeah, I guess some people are just too lazy to work for their bells, ha ha ha! :)

I don't have anything against people who do it, but I personally feel that hacking/cheating kinda detracts from the authenticity of the game for me, so I don't really engage in it myself (besides, even if I wanted to I don't have the tools for it)

Normally I am completely against hacking my games (I have nothing against other people who do it to theirs) but I'll admit that if I happened to have the tools available to me at the moment I would be very tempted to just move two slightly inconvenient houses one block.

A friend of mine did, but I'm not into it. I like exploiting the game mechanics like time traveling, but hacking is too much. It wouldn't feel like playing to me anymore.

I don't care about if people hack or not! It's your game, you play it the way you want to play it! I've visited a lot of tumblr dream towns and a lot of them are hacked! They all looked great! Bamboo in rivers, trees closer together, perfect house placements, etc... But while they were all gorgeous, I didn't like them too much. The only reason I didn't like them was the fact that I know that my town will never be like that. I can't put trees on the beach, I can't plant trees next to each other, I can't do any of the things mentioned above. I have to learn to build around things even if it looks awkward afterwards. To sum it up, they're cool, but unless you know how to hack, you will never achieve a town like that.

Last edited:
I never hacked/edited a town or a game in general and I guess I will never try it. I just have too many
worries that I do something wrong and ruin anything. :/ But I don't have problems with hacked towns/
games. I mean it's the person's decision, what he/she doing with his/her game so yeah. Also I have to
admit that there are many hacked/edited towns which are really pretty...

Last edited:
I would hack my town and have tried to hack my town, but instead of buying the physical copy of oot3ds I bought the digital one.
.____.
ever since then I have given up trying to hack it. I think I may try again though.

I mean, it's nice and all, don't get me wrong. I've got some poorly placed rocks I wish I could move. But it feels like now when people see that the rocks interfere with my paths, they suggest I hack and move the rocks instead of modify my paths, which can be frustrating because hacking isn't something I am able to/want to do.

I've seen some pretty cool aesthetic hacking (cedars in lower half of town, trees closeby, organized rocks, close PWPs and bridges, underwater plants). It often brings a nice charm to dream towns and screenshots. The flipside of the coin is funny too -- "corruption" dream towns where there's flower clocks on the train tracks (even the ability to walk on the train tracks), and PWPs in the water are really funny to me!

I definitely think hacking is useful, especially on parts of the game that can be persnickety (bridge/PWP placement, technicalities with plants, house placement, etc.). I just don't see myself using it personally.

It's also interesting to note how hacking has sort of changed the game in terms of dream towns and raised the bar a bit. Which can be great for creativity, but can make a stunning dream town tough to achieve for those who can't hack villager houses into a singlefile line (and to those who take the time to plot-reset those, wow, you have my full respect. I just hope for the best).

I have never hacked my town before. But if I hacked my town, I would love to move/take out the rocks in my town because I don't like where the rocks are in my town.

I wish I could hack, as then I'd be able to move things. I wouldn't do too much, like placing items where they normally can't go or anything like that. But I spend DAYS sometimes resetting for a good layout just to usually be pleased but not overly happy. It'd be amazing if I could just make a perfect layout. (I also have OCD, and some things just really get to me, so it's not so much as I'm annoyed as I will reset the whole town if I find something doesn't work.)

i'd totally be interested in hacking my town! i'd love to see what i could do with it.. given i wouldn't corrupt my save.. :rolleyes:

I'm a frequent hacker but I only do landscaping stuff and to see how the actual code works. I'm an art major but I really have an interest in game coding so...most of my hacking is "let's see if the game coding will allow this"

I havent read the complete post about this, so sorry if someones already said something similar. Hacking is good, I mostly did all my hacking to give to others that weren't hacked. But i think it took all the fun out of the game. Planning on buying another copy that will be completely unhacked when the update comes out.

I haven't but I've thought about it. The only thing I've thought about doing was putting bushes in areas where it wasn't possible (same with trees), Moving/getting rid of rocks, controlling villager's houses, etc.

Well, that's already quite a few ideas for hacking! :) I didn't even know you also can hack villagers homes.

No, I haven't tried it. But I could probably do it for the sake of eg. paying off house loans and stuff if it's possible to get money easier. That part is a bit too tedious at some points :T

I'd be interested in trying it out in my cycle town after I'm done with it. I'm not opposed to it nor do I think less of people who hack their towns as theyre usually beautiful! It would definitely be an interesting experience

Back